Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Oct 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile Sept - worst scenario with weather.

You might think I’m being a bit over the top here but I’m just thinking worst case scenario just to make sure I’ve thought of everything.

I’ve never been in September but as it looks like I will be in just thinking of the weather as I believe that’s when they get the most hurricanes in WDW. Will most probably going early September but say it looked like a awful hurricane was on its way before our trip would Virgin Holidays offer us the chance to rearrange or cancel at no extra cost? What are our options if the worst was to take place weather wise?
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 04:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Shedank
Looking for my Ears

I'm not sure about Virgin Holidays.

WDW's direct packages have consumer friendly policies in place that let you change or cancel without penalty if hurricane potential is being tracked around your dates.

There still may be complications, like undoing vacation time at work a week out from your trip, or your airline ticket flexibility.

We definitely prefer November over Sept for this and other reasons. We did go once in Sept and it was okay, but now I think Nov's a better pick for weather and park experience.
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We have been the last two Septembers and the temps have been around 90f both years. Last year nearly killed us with the humidity, this year was fine. The locals were saying that the hurricane sucked all the humidity away and it certainly seemed as though it did

The rainstorms will come at any time and sometimes they'll get you, other times they will miss you. Hurricanes don't usually impact central Florida all that much, but Irma showed that they can on occassion.

We've never really considered it to be a risk.
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shedank View Post
I'm not sure about Virgin Holidays.

WDW's direct packages have consumer friendly policies in place that let you change or cancel without penalty if hurricane potential is being tracked around your dates.

There still may be complications, like undoing vacation time at work a week out from your trip, or your airline ticket flexibility.

We definitely prefer November over Sept for this and other reasons. We did go once in Sept and it was okay, but now I think Nov's a better pick for weather and park experience.
Thanks I can’t do November
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
sharon190980
Excited about Disney

Virgin Holidays let us rearrange when Irma hit and we travelled 5 days later. All sorted in one phone call. It did cost us £30 extra due to the change in hotel price.
I’m not 100% sure on cancellations but they did offer us the chance to cancel or rearrange with no cancellation fees for our car hire recently after losing our flights with Thomas Cook. So I’d imagine they’d waiver cancellation fees due to a hurricane.
September is a great time to go, parks are quiet and weather is generally nice but last year it was hotter than the sun!

Edited at 10:56 AM.
sharon190980 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jillzo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I can't say what Virgin will do, but I don't think you can plan your holiday round what the weather might do! We always go in September, and the weather this year was the best yet! Very low humidity, I only seen one shower of rain (normally daily!) and the temperature was comfortable! Hurricane season is May to November so you run the risk in any of those months!
Jillzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
We have been the last two Septembers and the temps have been around 90f both years. Last year nearly killed us with the humidity, this year was fine. The locals were saying that the hurricane sucked all the humidity away and it certainly seemed as though it did

The rainstorms will come at any time and sometimes they'll get you, other times they will miss you. Hurricanes don't usually impact central Florida all that much, but Irma showed that they can on occassion.

We've never really considered it to be a risk.
The last 3 years have seen some impact for holiday makers due to hurricanes. September is the highest risk but also the quietest time to go
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Virgin atlantic were fantastic when we were due to fly following Irma. We changed our initial plans and flew to Nashville instead, no extra cost.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The parks have been closed for weather a total of 9 days since they opened, granted 7 of these are in September, and the only other closure was for 9/11 which is also September, but we are talking 7 closed September days for weather. That's 7 days over the history of WDW. This equates to one day every 7 years, or given a couple were 2 days closures, once every 10 years ! The maths is on your side !
The locals will evacuate to Disney world, so it's considered one of the safest places to be in that regard!

We used to go Early September, now late August because of kids and school. The only bit that really bothers me is the possibility of a hurricane that disrupts our flights out or that might smash everything up just before we visit.

I spent several years on hurricane watch weeks before we went, partly worrying, and part excitement. I realised that only if something is forming out in the Atlantic a few weeks before you go, you start to take worrying seriously, but if nothing is looming you will know a couple of weeks out that you'll not be got! Worrying about it now isn't that helpful as it will only increase your stress levels, and the chances are massively that you won't suffer. Concentrate on worrying about fastpasses and restaurant bookings.

If when you check a few weeks before you go and something is out there, you then intensify your monitoring, and start investigating options. Then if the track moves clear you can relax, but if it still looks bad you carry on sorting your options. That way you're putting effort in when it's worth something.
Old 13 Oct 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We always go in September and just ignore everything else unless it directly affects us.