Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Oct 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I'm hoping to go in January as my daughter is working on the central coast for a year or so.
Last time I was there I missed out on the Blue Mountains so that's on the list next time - supposed to be beautiful.
Your cruise sounds like a great way to see the country.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

DD and I went for a month last November, we flew Belfast - Heathrow - Singapore - Sydney. We stayed 6 nights in Sydney, totally recommend the free walking tour and the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb, also the fabulous Lindt Chocolate Cafe

Then we flew to Uluru (Ayers Rock) for 2 nights, next onto Port Douglas doing the Great Barrier Reef. Next we flew to Hamilton Island for a few nights before flying to Melbourne. Collected a camper van and drove to Wilson’s Prom, a massive National Park at the tip of Victoria.

Final stage was driving to Phillip Island for a couple of nights seeing the Penguin Parade, driving onto the ferry to go over to the Great Ocean Road. Saw the 12 Apostles and London Bridge before driving back to Melbourne for a couple of nights before flying back home.

All in all a fabulous holiday, we enjoyed every minute.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Lumiere
Trying for More Ears

Having previously lived in Australia for a few years (Nelson Bay NSW if anybody knows it) I'd echo what people have said already about visiting Manly on the ferry. It's a great place to spend a day - I was never particularly a big fan of Sydney, but maybe I just saw it that many times that I took it for granted!

It's definitely worth taking a trip to the Blue Mountains, lots of lovely places in Katoomba to stay. Visit the 3 Sisters and Jenolan Caves (Good chance of seeing wild Platypus in the lake next to the caves too).
I'm biased but the Port Stephens area (about is 3 hours north of Sydney) is an awesome place with a nice marina at Nelson Bay, and more beaches than you can shake a stick at. I'd also take a visit to Big & Little Rocky if you head that way.

Brisbane is probably my favourite city in Aus, lot's of cool cafes and bars everywhere - and the ferry system is great for getting around. Definitely visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary while there, good for getting pictures with the Kangaroos and Emu's roaming around, as well as the customary picture holding a Koala!
Lumiere is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
We are off to Australia for just two weeks boxing day (can only take two weeks due to DH's business) and am only going as DD is in Adelaide for two years. Whilst we are there she has booked flights and accommodation (overlooking Darling Harbour) in Sydney. She is sorting itinerary for us whilst in Adelaide but may include a day trip to Kangaroo Island, wine tours and I'm sure there's a good coast road which heads towards Melbourne. Missing her so much so looking forward to spending some time with her. Not looking forward to the flights at all. Will need to take aspirin and wear flight socks for 24 hours!
Darling Harbour is a great place with lots of bars and restaurants. Sydney centre is also easy to get around to.we took a trip on one of the water ferry and visited the zoo and the beaches around the bay. The blue mountains are a great place to visit as well.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Thanks is so much everyone!

The planning link is really useful... I’m that used to jumping on the Dibb for Florida and other Mrs holidays don’t need as much planning, but I feel daunted by this one.

I really appreciate your responses!
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Been twice. We loved it so much the first time so went back again. Ferry to Manly beach from Sydney Circular Quay is good and the beach is better than Bondi. Look for Happy Hour in the restaurants and bars around Darling Harbour for food and drink bargains. There is a lovely small spot between Cairns and Port Douglas called Palm Cove. Lots to do and see all over, have a great time
Spooky, I visited all those places too !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
We went a few years back just to Sydney and had a ball there a very good tram system there to get about all so the mono rail . We visited the blue mountains and the Koala Sanctuary all so targain zoo. We did so much. We caught train from Airport to the bank train station all so darling haubor and a few other places.
Are there trams in Sydney? I never lived there but went often enough with work and never saw one...
Old 15 Oct 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We also did the Ghan train trip from Adelaide to Darwin, fantastic if you’re planning a trip
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We also did the Ghan train trip from Adelaide to Darwin, fantastic if you’re planning a trip
Ooooh. We really like this idea and have looked at doing it when we go.
dizzymcfarlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JackyH
Imagineer

JackyH's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

My son lives in Sydney and I’m lucky enough to have visited several times. He lives near Balmoral beach but my favourite is Manley. Just love the vibe there. Visited the hunter valley for wine tasting last time I went. That was interesting. Also visited Cairns - lovely part of the country. Kurranda railway is worth a go. Next time I go I hope to do the ghan.