Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mum Melanoma

Just typical, 5 weeks till holiday and doctor told my mum that she has a melanoma. She’s waiting a referral for hospital and now don’t know whether we’ll be able to go on holiday. Obviously I want my mum to have surgery and chemo if needed and get better, but I’ve waited 18 months for this holiday as have been diagnosed with cancer myself and finished all my treatment. Sorry for sounding selfish just needed to get that off my chest.

Oct 2022 - California Tour, Nov 2019 - Disney’s AKL & RPR, May 2017 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2014 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2012 - Disney's POFQ & HRH, Sep 2011 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne, Nov 2010 - Disney's CBR & RPR, Oct 2008 - Disney's All Star Movies & HRH, Nov 2006 - Disney's All Star Sports, Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Nikki Bird (Kissimmee), Sep 1996 - Quality Inn International
zdickens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I know this is sometimes simply a day surgery procedure which is then checked for clear margins. Do realise this may not be the case here.
Hope things turn out well for your mum and no further treatment necessary.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My mam had surgery 2 days before going to DLP, she was told to rest when can but otherwise she was fine (it was on her leg). When she arrived home she had the diagnosis that it was melanoma. She actually hadnt went in for that to be checked but they spotted it and removed. She been having checks for past year and no chemo necessary. My sis in law exactly the same and she had big surgery on hers, had her ankle rebuilt but again no chemo and checks every year for next 5 years, then every 2. Both in and out in a day, my mam was out in 1 1/2hrs. Fingers crossed it will turn out fine.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
Thanks ladies. I’m hoping it’s nothing serious, it was actually spotted when she had her flu jab. Fingers crossed, she’s chasing them tomorrow for an appointment.

Oct 2022 - California Tour, Nov 2019 - Disney’s AKL & RPR, May 2017 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2014 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2012 - Disney's POFQ & HRH, Sep 2011 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne, Nov 2010 - Disney's CBR & RPR, Oct 2008 - Disney's All Star Movies & HRH, Nov 2006 - Disney's All Star Sports, Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Nikki Bird (Kissimmee), Sep 1996 - Quality Inn International
zdickens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Hubby had one on his back and it was removed within 7 days. He then had a nurse come to the house 7 days later to have the stitches removed. He had no chemo but did have regular checks for 5 years. As long as the apppintment for removal comes thru quickly she will be fine.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
Thanks Taylaboo. The doctors said if she hasn’t heard anything after a week to ring and chase. I think it’s the not knowing that is the problem, you’re kind of in limbo.

Old 30 Sep 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

Brother in law had this, his involved a big operation after the initial removal, wide area excision and lymph node biopsies etc it all happened very quickly, this was about 3 years ago, thankfully he is still cancer free
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I had a large one removes from my ear - from doctor spotting it to going into guys hospital for removal it took less than a week. Because it was behind my ear it was difficult to dress (couldn’t be stitched - they removed all my ear down to cartlidge and cauterised it. Apart from daily then weekly dressings I led a normal life . Yes my travel insurance went sky high for a year and will always now be elevated but depending on where your Mothers is she may be ok to travel my advise would be to just let insurers know ASAP.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Aw that’s bad timing. If they think it’s melanoma they will refer her on a 2 week wait. I saw my gp this morning as I’m concerned about an unusual growth on my face. They referred me on a 2 week wait and appointments had been in touch with me by lunchtime with an appointment in 2 weeks. My understanding is that if dermatology believe it is a melanoma they will excise it with broad margins and often that is all the treatment required if it low grade. If it has spread further then obviously that’s a bit different.
I hope she hears something soon and that it’s all caught nice and early (or in fact is benign).
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I am sure she will be seen quickly. I had a mole removed from my arm, 2 weeks later told melanoma, 1 weeks later much larger margin taken, and all clear then given. Apart from 5 years of check ups and a slightly hollow looking lower arm (!) no further action was needed.

I hope she gets appt soon so you can carry on planning your trip.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List