Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
I think some people forget that our generation have worked hard all their lives and can now afford to be a bit picky with jobs. At times my DH has worked in some terrible places and had no choice, he had bills to pay and family to support. Now he can pick and choose his work load. And does every week!
Why should anyone think working in a dirty, stinky house is acceptable. Health and Safety in the workplace stills applies.
That's a good point Olga. I spent decades doing a job that was stressful and resulting in me working long hours, and if I could turn the clock back I would do so. The positive with the job was that the pay was good as was the pension, and I could retire now if I wanted to, but it gets me out of the house and the extra money always comes in useful.

Some people in my old job think I should be enjoying early retirement and on the golf course (like they are), and that I'm crazy even doing what I do part time, but I will carry on (part time) until I feel I've had enough. So I'm lucky I can now choose my work and who I work for, but for most of my life I had to work where and with who I was told to.

I take my hat off to your hubby as roofing is a tough physically demanding job where he can't literally put a foot wrong when he's on a roof, and having to work outside all year round can't always be nice. He deserves to now be able to pick and choose his jobs, and good luck to him.

Edited at 01:57 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I hate smoke with a passion - evil stuff and the smell is just disgusting. Id rather go to a house with dog poop that a smokers!

My dad stopped smoking many years ago but still in the days when they smoked on planes...
He would deliberately choose a seat in the smokers section to avoid "women and kids"
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

I have never smoked and I loathe it, I am certainly glad it is no longer allowed in public spaces. I do think somebody needs to be allowed to smoke in their own home though, but I don't know anybody that would want to! I only know a few smokers and they all go outside to smoke. My work does not involve going to other people's houses, I think if somebody doesn't want to work in a house because it is dirty or smoky then that is a valid choice.

My parents were both smokers and although they had stopped by the time I was early 20s, I was brought up in a smoking house and also my mother smoked throughout her pregnancies. I worked for a year before university, so late 80s and smoking was freely permitted in the work place. After university I rejoined the workplace early 90s and by this time it was more restricted but at 5 o'clock on the dot, everybody around me would light up. I don't remember noticing it too much back in those days, as it was normal, but I would hate it now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I had guest earlier this year that thought it was ok to smoke in my villa when my T and Cs clearly state no smoking. I went ballistic and it’s a good job they were caught very early on in the hols and they dealt with it after I went mad!

Edited at 05:12 PM.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Unfortunately smoking laws don't cover working in peoples own homes. I manage domiciliary care staff and this is quite a contentious issue as most of the staff are now non smokers. We only exclude staff from going into smokers if they have a medical reason which smoking would aggravate, others don't like it but we have a duty of care to provide a service.

I have never smoked and hate doing any visits if people smoke so can understand OP stance and if he doesn't need the work then I am with him on refusing. Unfortunately not all jobs can do that.

I will however add I have never visited anyone who has refused to stop smoking when asked at least while I was in the property.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't think you're being a diva I'd be exactly the same.
I hate smoking and the smell is disgusting.
Many years ago I worked in a pub when smoking was allowed and when I got home around midnight I was straight in the shower to get rid of the smell on me.
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Those people have the right to smoke in their own home, it's their lungs afterall, but I also believe you have the right to protect your lungs and not wanting you/your clothing to stink of smoke. I fully understand you turning down a contract to avoid working in that atmosphere.
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

I remember my Grandad ONLY used to smoke in his front room, was a horrible place to be, it was like walking into a working mans club back in the day, air was thick with smoke, ceiling that where once white now yellow, really did used to knock me sick.

Like a lot of you on here, you'll be able to remember what it was like in bars / nightclubs back in the day, that smell the next morning coming off your clothes from the night before used to make me bork!
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
I had guest service earlier this year that thought it was ok to smoke in my villa when my T and Cs clearly state no smoking. I went ballistic and it’s a good job they were caught very early on in the hols and they dealt with it after I went mad!
That is out of order because most families wouldn't be happy going into a villa after people have smoked in it.

Recently we watched some UK vloggers who rented a car in Florida and it stunk of smoke which they couldn't cope with (can't blame them), and the hassle they had taking it back to the hire company.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I think that if it’s “their house” so owned/mortgaged or the landlords say smoking is ok then it’s their property so can do whatever they like to it really.

However I agree that if you have a choice in the matter and you would not like to work there due to smoking or dirt then that’s also fine cos it’s your choice.

I don’t like smoking. Never tried it. Never will. Hubby has done it once or twice when drunk and I hate it so hit the roof.

My father in law smoked and hubby hated it. Even though he was made to go outside it was still awful. I don’t know how my mother in law stood it. She doesn’t like it and neither does sister in law.
Hubby give his dad an ultimatum. As I was pregnant with his first child he had to stop smoking or hubby would never fetch them round and he wouldn’t allow any smoking near our house.
Father in law changed to these vape things which I don’t think are much better but he does it outside away from kids and that’s better
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List