Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
[QUOTE][QUOTE=Nimbus;14305408]Stop with the implied conspiracy theories. They aren't hiding anything.

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You mean, like mine? (It does go both ways, you know)
Sorry, but you implicitly told the poster to stop with the conspiracy theories, which is telling her to not have an opinion, if she feels there’s a conspiracy in then that’s how she feels..

Her opinion is no less valid than yours or mine, I do not feel there is a conspiracy but many do, that’s how they see it, simple
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I'm a little tired of hearing it's only killing the very young, the weak and the elderly as if that's OK then.
I know, I have thought this, I’m immunocompromised, so I’ll Just say goodbye now

Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Actually, the mortality rate of flu is between about 0.01% and 0.1% (this winter, the current mortality rate in the USA from flu is 0.05%). So 2% mortality rate for COVID-19 is significantly more than the average mortality rate of yearly influenza.

However, in comparison the SARS virus had a mortality rate of around 10% and the MERS virus had a mortality rate of 30%. So it doesn't seem as deadly as those.

Far more people do get infected by flu each year (estimate is 19 million in the USA alone each year) and hence, although flu has a low mortality rate, the number of deaths each year is very high.

Of course, many people who say they have flu actually don't have flu - they've got a bad cold instead (which, funnily enough, it often caused by Coronaviruses). Actual flu isn't a bundle of laughs.
Influenza Mortality rate varies depending on age bracket and geographical location, just like the current spread of Coronavirus, China/South East Asia has a high % of Influenza related mortality due to large populated areas, ageing communities and minimal health care in many of the rural areas of the country, same also goes for large areas of Africa / Middle East.

If we where to use your US figures as an example, the current spread of Coronavirus in the US and UK has a 0% mortality rate for all recorded cases, this is probably due to control, quarantine and public awareness to get checked if the symptoms arise.

What alot of the press seem to be forgetting is what I have previously stated, the majority of deaths caused by the Coronavirus have occurred in the elderly/frail/already ill, among those aged 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China appears to be around 8%; it’s 3.6% for those aged 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 or under has reportedly died of this Coronavirus to date.
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I know, I have thought this, I’m immunocompromised, so I’ll Just say goodbye now

Dya know they were talking about it yesterday at work and saying how they think it’s all being blown out of proportion and it’s really a “bad cold/flu”. I said “yeah but isn’t it killing people?” And my manager said in China the average age of death from it was 79 and the average life expectancy in China is 79 so it wasn’t doing anything really!
They all started talking about how it really isn’t no big deal and basically it’s scare mongering - and yet at work we keep getting emails about how to self check etc and hand washing. There are notes on the doors advising if you can and can’t enter etc. Anti-bac gel stations installed.
So yesterday I’m like - aghhh it’s no big deal and the I read this and I’m not sure again.
For the record I struggle with my own opinion - clearly I’m swayed by what I hear/read.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
Dya know they were talking about it yesterday at work and saying how they think it’s all being blown out of proportion and it’s really a “bad cold/flu”. I said “yeah but isn’t it killing people?” And my manager said in China the average age of death from it was 79 and the average life expectancy in China is 79 so it wasn’t doing anything really!
They all started talking about how it really isn’t no big deal and basically it’s scare mongering - and yet at work we keep getting emails about how to self check etc and hand washing. There are notes on the doors advising if you can and can’t enter etc. Anti-bac gel stations installed.
So yesterday I’m like - aghhh it’s no big deal and the I read this and I’m not sure again.
For the record I struggle with my own opinion - clearly I’m swayed by what I hear/read.
The main concerns seem to be:

- 20% of infected people need to be hospitalised. If the virus spreads significantly, the NHS will not have enough beds. I very much doubt the NHS would be able to cope at all, even with just a few thousand cases.

- It appears that people who have contracted the virus and recover can catch the virus a second time and can be much more severely affected.

- It seems to be the perfect virus to spread, slowly but surely, among the general population. The virus hides itself well and it can take two or more weeks before an infected person even realises they are ill. Others may think they only have a cold, even after symptoms appear.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

A school in the area my son goes to school has closed and won’t open until next Monday.
They’ve had a skiing trip group come back from Italy with several of the students suffering from a flu type illness, as well as one member of staff. They’re currently being tested and in self isolation.
The school refused students access this morning and are also having a deep clean.
Other schools in the area (including my son’s) are unaffected.
However, FB has been flooded with rumours etc causing complete confusion about which schools are closed. One posted saying they’d heard gossip in the playground so decided to post that info and cause parents to worry.

Edited at 03:35 PM.
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Now don't shout, but I cannot help but think there is something else going on here. PPl die from flu etc every year but we don't walk around with masks on and go on lock down. If it is just a cold of sorts that can be worse in a small percentage why has it turned into what it has hysteria wise? Just think there is something else. If everywhere slowly starts going into self isolation and then potentially lock down, its going to be have huge repercussions economy/business wise.

And how the heck do you know if you have it, I work in an office, and ppl have been ill with colds since October last year! its rife... I was full of a really bad cold a couple of weeks ago, still suffering a little bit. How do you know! ?

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18

Edited at 03:35 PM.
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
Now don't shout, but I cannot help but think there is something else going on here. PPl die from flu etc every year but we don't walk around with masks on and go on lockdown. If it is just cold of sorts that can be worse in a small percentage why has it turned into what it has hysteria wise? Just think there is something else. If everywhere slowly starts going into self-isolation and then potentially lockdown, it's going to be have huge repercussions economy/business-wise.

And how the heck do you know if you have it, I work in an office, and ppl have been ill with colds since October last year! its rife... I was full of a really bad cold a couple of weeks ago, still suffering a little bit. How do you know!?
the issue is, as I understand, not that it is more dangerous than Flue but that it is the unknown origin of it and they are as I understand still working on its infectiousness. It is the unknown element that is the cause for concern.

Don't worry President Trump says it is no worse than a cold and when spring comes it will disappear, the Chinese president told him and his aid says it is a virus to bring Trump down... couldn't make this stuff up
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

express/news/uk/12...covid19-update

Oh no - Jon Snow now self isolates after returning from Iran.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
express/news/uk/12...covid19-update

Oh no - Jon Snow now self isolates after returning from Iran.
There are days when I’d like to self bloody isolate