Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Mobile A shock at IKEA followed by a stroll down memory lane. A pointless thread

So the thought of going t ikea fills me with dread at the best of times, mid morning on Saturday at Tottenham ikea was not somewhere I wanted to be. BUT, there was no queue to get in or through checkout, in fact it was barely a quarter full

Due to roadworks on the way home we went via my old childhood stomping ground, Waltham Cross. The flat where I grew up was still there but the field that doubled as my footy and cricket pitches was now a communal landscaped garden. While it was all very nice, I felt sad my old field had gone.
Then we stopped at Cheshunt (also known as Tesco Town). My wife spent 30 years working at Tesco head office. It’s long been vacated and now pulled down. DW wanted one last look.
No point to this thread other than me and DW got to spend a rare morning together in no particular rush to be anywhere
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

Mobile

i’m glad you had a good morning!

also thanks for the tip! this is my local ikea and i desperately need a bookshelf but have been dreading going, might just give it a try now
Old 20 Jun 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s nice to sometimes take time and reminisce. My husband and I still live in the same village we grew up in, it’s lovely to be able to see places we visited when we first met and remember the ‘old days’ I think we’re all guilty of rushing around so much now, we don’t take the time to appreciate what we have and how we got to where we are.

I’m pleased you enjoyed your trip down memory lane 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by aladdin View Post
i’m glad you had a good morning!

also thanks for the tip! this is my local ikea and i desperately need a bookshelf but have been dreading going, might just give it a try now
I was shocked. Never seen ikea like it. I joked about it with one of the assistants, he reckoned everyone was at Primark.
If you do go, they’re not accepting cash. And despite loads of signs saying this, still saw a woman having a stop at checkout as she only had cash
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
So the thought of going t ikea fills me with dread at the best of times, mid morning on Saturday at Tottenham ikea was not somewhere I wanted to be. BUT, there was no queue to get in or through checkout, in fact it was barely a quarter full

Due to roadworks on the way home we went via my old childhood stomping ground, Waltham Cross. The flat where I grew up was still there but the field that doubled as my footy and cricket pitches was now a communal landscaped garden. While it was all very nice, I felt sad my old field had gone.
Then we stopped at Cheshunt (also known as Tesco Town). My wife spent 30 years working at Tesco head office. It’s long been vacated and now pulled down. DW wanted one last look.
No point to this thread other than me and DW got to spend a rare morning together in no particular rush to be anywhere
This takes me back ! I used to live in Chigwell, a few minutes from Charlie Browns roundabout and would go along the NC to get to that IKEA and the A10 to the garden centres & nurseries at Crews Hill & Sewardstone Rd.

I also remember buying a table & chairs in a shop called Fishpools in that neck of the woods - Waltham Cross ?

Edited at 10:35 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
This takes me back ! I used to live in Chigwell, a few minutes from Charlie Browns roundabout and would go along the NC to get to that IKEA and the A10 to the garden centres & nurseries at Crews Hill & Sewardstone Rd.

I also remember buying a table & chairs in a shop called Fishpools in that neck of the woods - Waltham Cross ?
Fishpools is still there. I know the nurseries at crews hill, and the pubs!
Old 20 Jun 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I thought that Ikea was a testing centre maybe others did too

My OH worked in Tesco head office too.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I thought that Ikea was a testing centre maybe others did too

My OH worked in Tesco head office too.
Well I thought it was too. There is one on an industrial estate just before you get to ikea. Maybe they moved it when shops were allowed to reopen

DH started at Tesco as a YTS trainee and was a PA to a main board member when she left. Her claim to fame is she was PA to Baroness Dido Harding was on Tesco board. When Dido left she too DW and me for lunch at House of Commons, her husband is MP for Weston Super Mare, as a thank you
Old 21 Jun 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post

We've got a Charlie Browns roundabout in Wakefield, named for a car service place that probably hasn't been there for 10 years now! Same situation with yours?

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
We've got a Charlie Browns roundabout in Wakefield, named for a car service place that probably hasn't been there for 10 years now! Same situation with yours?

/Mo
Ours was named after the landlord of a pub that was demolished in 1972 when the roundabout was enlarged to accommodate slip roads for the M11