Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
My dd is doing English language and English lit at Swansea with either a semester or a year abroad, and wants to teach English in the far East after uni.
Our eldest son does this. He studied English literature in Southampton University, then worked in education admin, did a TEFL course and went to South Korea for 18 months. He’s now working in Vietnam teaching primary children a range of subjects in English
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Our eldest son does this. He studied English literature in Southampton University, then worked in education admin, did a TEFL course and went to South Korea for 18 months. He’s now working in Vietnam teaching primary children a range of subjects in English
I think he is living the life she wants!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I think he is living the life she wants!
It has drawbacks obviously as he doesn’t get to see the family very much but he has a girlfriend there (an American teaching too) and I very much doubt he will return to the UK, certainly not for a long time. This is sad for us, but I’m happy to know he’s living the life he enjoys
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto's friends
Earning More Ears

My turn today to drop DS off at Nottingham Trent University. He was the 1st in his flat to move in so at least we could keep our distance from others.
Good luck to the other Freshers
pluto's friends is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sweetchunks
Getting Excited

Mobile

Our turn to take DS today to Keele. He’s happy and has already chatted with a few on his floor. I did manage not to cry until we had left him and got back to the car 😢
sweetchunks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Dropped my dd to Durham today. She was one of the last to move in but has been kept very busy so not had time to worry about anything. She had an ice breaker session within 30 mins of arriving and then a formal welcome meal and a time slot booked for her household at the bar. She seems very happy so far.
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
Hope everyone who has moved in are nicely settled.

Has anyone’s child chosen English Language at University, if so which did they choose and what are they thinking of doing after university.

My daughter is about to start her 2nd year of English and Creative Writing. She loves it.

She has no idea what she wants to do, but will probably go down the teaching route.

Edited at 11:34 PM.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Took my son to York yesterday. He seemed ok and he has a nice room. Left him with his housemates in the kitchen (didn't meet them with all the current stuff). Going to strange without him.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

My lad is home after 2 weeks.

Paid £5k for the accommodation. All the lectures are online. He was half mile from the University but they've been instructed not to go in before half term when it will be reviewed. The accommodation's communal areas allow only 1 person in at a time. He's is a studio flat with it's own ensuite and small kitchen so barely any interaction at all with others.

He's a very sociable person with lots of friends so he's missing the interaction. So I've brought him home. Might as well be with his friends and family and do his course from here online as stuck in his room.

He was so looking forward to it. A real shame plus a load of money & debt for nothing.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Hi. I moved my daughter into York on Monday too. Very helpful student support team. Room and kitchen not cleaned well at all. Not impressed. We gave it a clean and got on with it though and she has enjoyed her first two days.