Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile Would you go to a wedding without your children?

Husbands niece is getting married and has said children aren’t invited. She has limited room and budget so that is her reason (not that she has to justify it!). Well I am amazed by the amount of family members getting all entitled and cross about it, including my husband! We had a few ‘words’ about it and I told him he and his family were being selfish. My arguments were:
It’s their day, their money and not your place to say what they should do.
Why should they not be able to invite friends because children are taking up a place?
Why are you taking it so personally, when it’s ALL children that are excluded? (Not just your little darlings)
We are going as I love a good wedding and my children are old enough to stay at home. There are several people who aren’t though. I know that childcare isn’t an issue, so they are basically not going in protest. Quite honestly I’m amazed that some of them aren’t siezing the opportunity to have a day off and let their hair down. I feel bad for the bride as she is being made out to be a bad person. Why oh why can’t people see it from her side?
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkyoshi
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Because people take it personally unfortunately! Life’s too short, I think you have the right idea 😁
pinkyoshi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Yes. My cousin did the same so we went without them and had a good time. The kids were fine with grandma.

It was their wedding so they had what they wanted.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I never understand why other people feel entitled to dictate to the bride and groom what they should do for THEIR day - they should invite exactly who they want and if banning children so they can fit friends/relatives in then that’s entirely their prerogative - I agree with you totally OP. 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

We ended up no children apart from bridesmaids as when we counted there would have been 34 children to pay for.
It would have been nice to have them all but just got too expensive.

Most people were fine 1 or 2 complained.
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
muffinmclean
Apprentice Imagineer

I am the exact same as you. Weddings (the ceremony bit especially) must be boring for kids, and when my husband and I go to one (without our kids), I enjoy having some time just for us and able to eat and drink what I like without making sure the kids are ok first etc.
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Unless it's a breastfeeding baby there's no need for any child to be at any wedding. And if it is a breastfeeding baby, the bride & groom choose whether they want mother and baby to be guests or not. Simple. Everyone else has an opinion and hopefully enough manners to keep it to themselves.

It's an invitation, you don't have to attend, and you certainly don't give reasons if you decline, that's just rude.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lynda__Loo
Proud to wear my Ears

Completely up to the bride and groom on how they want to celebrate their big day and people seem to forget this.

I totally agree that you should still go and those who don't will miss out on what I'm sure will be a great day/night.
Lynda__Loo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

Been to a number of friends weddings who said no children, where people had turned up with children. Its rude.

Their wedding day they get to choose who and how they have it, they know by limiting children some parents will not be able to attend but again their choice. I completely agree with you OP.

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I agree, it's up to them who they invite, just like you shouldn't invite long lost relatives, just because they are related!
I must admit, I do enjoy my children being included in as much as I do as possible and miss them when not with them (I look forward to them coming home from school and love the school hols! ) but I would respect and invite just being for adults, especially when the children are older.
Weddings seem ridiculously expensive these days and children would add unnecessary expense in a lot of cases!
We were lucky when we got married that no close family or friends had children so it wasn't an issue!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List