Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Mar 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Orlando to Bahamas for a few days ?

Has anyone ever gone from Orlando to Bahamas for. Few days beach holiday ?
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We have tacked the Disney Cruise there for our next holiday (3 nights plus 14 at AKL, in theory once we’ve booked the latter).
writersblock is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

I did, but many years ago! We had 4 nights near Freeport in the Bahamas before heading up to Orlando 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Has anyone ever gone from Orlando to Bahamas for. Few days beach holiday ?
Have you been to the Bahamas before? If not, whilst the beaches can be very nice, the surrounding areas maybe not so nice. Unless your visiting a private island like Castaway Cay on a cruise you may be in for a culture shock compared to say the very nice beaches of the gulf coast of Florida.

Edit just to add, the US State Dept describes New Providence Islands criminal threat level as critical. This includes Nassau.

Edited at 11:34 AM.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
Have you been to the Bahamas before? If not, whilst the beaches can be very nice, the surrounding areas maybe not so nice. Unless your visiting a private island like Castaway Cay on a cruise you may be in for a culture shock compared to say the very nice beaches of the gulf coast of Florida.
Firstly you get what you pay for in the Caribbean, pay for a top notch resort and that is what you will get, pay a lot less and you may be in for a culture shock post Florida.

The Bahamas really need the tourist dollar at the moment but remember part, no all the Bahamas were devastated by an enormous hurricane 6 months ago and things have not fully recovered.

I have lived in the Caribbean but can remember many years ago my worst experience was going to a Caribbean island after a Florida holiday the difference was like chalk and cheese and to this day I remember how I felt. We made the most of it, actually changed hotels, paid more money for a better experience and enjoyed it.

If it's your very first experience of the Caribbean where the beaches are lovely and so are the people but the infrastructure sometimes doesnt match the maybe go as a stand alone holiday instead.

These are of course my thoughts from my experience.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Interesting thanks for your comments may think again maybe not the idyllic place I thought x
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It's a shame because it should be paradise. This is what happens when organised crime gangs are allowed to completely take over. Beautiful islands in the Carribbean suffer the same fate. Nassau is often referred to as the worst cruise port and many people choose to not get off the boat.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

If you want somewhere idyllic you could try somewhere like Captiva then you could drive there from Orlando.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I always think there are so many wonderful beaches within 90 mins of Orlando I couldn’t be bothered faffing around flying somewhere else!
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Wow, I'm surprised to read this.

We flew via Bahamas Air to Nassau and stayed 5 nights at the Atlantis resort. We thought it was absolute paradise. Actually, Atlantis resort is on Paradise Island.

We loved it and we have always wanted to go back. Stunning beaches, wonderful food, the people were so friendly and lots to do there.

There are beautiful beaches in Florida yes, and we've been to Antigua and the beautiful beaches in Mexico but we absolutely loved our visit to Bahamas. It was so easy to get to from Orlando.

We didn't see any crime, just lots of tourists enjoying their holidays, but we did stay in a touristy area. We've also seen beautiful beaches in Miami and got lost in a very scary part of town at night and we couldn't wait to leave. There are areas all over the world that tourists should be aware of and stay clear of.

Have a good time whatever you decide.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List