Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile University - class of 2021

The past few years there has been threads regarding each year’s university starts etc they have all been incredibly helpful and support for families over the years so I thought we could do one for children starting September 2021;

With all this upheaval the children have undertaken this year I am concerned that the A level results will be affected?

My daughter has had little to know help/support on even considering universities, personal statements etc
She has no idea what subject to take, although English is the main option.
She has not looked at any universities yet although likes the look of York & Lancaster online.
Her hopes were Oxford or Cambridge but she is worried her current results will not hit the mark due to missing so much college.

What subject is your child looking to do?

Which university and why?

Have you managed to look at any? Do you think some open days might be available soon?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

There are virtual open days happening now so have a look at some Universities of interest on their websites.
UCAS have lots of advice .👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024

Edited at 06:10 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter is looking into biochemistry. She is looking into north east universities due to finances. We went in 2 tours last year, got one booked in for end of september but she has done 1 virtual in april and has a virtual one on saturday. She has enrolled on some courses to do with ucas via northumbria uni, last week for statements, tomorrow is finance. She has enrolled in 2 uni courses that will give her 16 points for that uni, she has 3 days to complete work for it, shouldve been 3 days at the uni in july, but its now online. Her days in college until end of term are focussing on ucas.
DiszeeBelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
My daughter is looking into biochemistry. She is looking into north east universities due to finances. We went in 2 tours last year, got one booked in for end of september but she has done 1 virtual in april and has a virtual one on saturday. She has enrolled on some courses to do with ucas via northumbria uni, last week for statements, tomorrow is finance. She has enrolled in 2 uni courses that will give her 16 points for that uni, she has 3 days to complete work for it, shouldve been 3 days at the uni in july, but its now online. Her days in college until end of term are focussing on ucas.
A few of people I know are organised like your daughter. Thats amazing.
My daughter is feeling overwhelmed at the moment and waiting for college to tell her what to do!
We are advising her to be more proactive but apparently we are dinosaurs who know nothing 😳
College are giving little to zero on information on universities at the moment.
I do not want her to do too little, too late!
She is a high achiever and did unbelievably well in GCSE’s but and its a big BUT, she can not make decisions! She likes being told what to do and advised (just not by us dinosaurs &#129430
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks for starting this thread, it will certainly help focus on what needs to be done and when as it all feels very abstract at the moment.

We are in Scotland and my eldest DD wants to go to art school in 2021, with Glasgow as first choice followed by Dundee. I've been trying to get her to start thinking more about it but she's not keen at the moment...
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
The past few years there has been threads regarding each year’s university starts etc they have all been incredibly helpful and support for families over the years so I thought we could do one for children starting September 2021;

With all this upheaval the children have undertaken this year I am concerned that the A level results will be affected?

My daughter has had little to know help/support on even considering universities, personal statements etc
She has no idea what subject to take, although English is the main option.
She has not looked at any universities yet although likes the look of York & Lancaster online.
Her hopes were Oxford or Cambridge but she is worried her current results will not hit the mark due to missing so much college.

What subject is your child looking to do?

Which university and why?

Have you managed to look at any? Do you think some open days might be available soon?
My daughter is at the same college as yours and has received links to personal statement videos and one recently on how to complete the UCAS form

Do you receive the PA Connect messages, they have held a few personal statement sessions, I think one recently was Bradford University.

The Cambridge online open day is 3rd/4th July, she just needs to register. The thing with applying for Cambridge it isn’t just about grades

My daughter was looking at Cambridge but I think is going off it due to the distance from home.

She is looking at Lancaster, York, Sheffield, Nottingham Trent.

She wants to do Law
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

My DD is currently looking for Uni's within commuting distance from home as she is adamant she doesn't want to move away. We are quite lucky in where we live that we have quite a few to choose from. At the top of her list are St Mary's in Twickenham, Roehampton, Uni of Surrey in Guildford and London Met. She's not entirely sure what she wants to do yet but will probably be Physiotherapy, Sports Therapy or Sports Science.

We have had lots of virtual open day invitations as obviously the actual ones were cancelled. Do we think they'll reschedule them for the Autumn term? It's very risky choosing a Uni just from seeing it online!

DD's college have been great in setting up virtual talks about the next step either Uni or Apprenticeship and next week there is a whole day dedicated to filling out the UCAS form and writing your personal statements etc

She's predicted Distinction*, Distinction and B so I'm hoping she achieves these grades despite not being at college since March. I really feel for these kids, as this pandemic has the potential to negatively change their futures. I've also got a year 10 so I feel doubly unlucky at the mo!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My two haven't even thought about it yet. They aren't real high fliers so will get the next year out of the way and then see what happens. I've always thought a gap year is a good idea, if they even go, they probably won't. I'm not putting any pressure on them. It's an awful lot of debt to saddle yourself with unless you are sure it's what you want and my 2 don't yet.
Old 23 Jun 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymum23
Proud to wear my Ears

My youngest is due to go 2021, we have looked at a couple, one in Cheltenham and Coventry, course and facilities looked amazing but wasn't keen on the area, student accommodation or location of it which if we'd just gone by online tour wouldn't of seen so hope we can view some more before it's time to apply! Our other two got lots of support at school to fill in ucas so barely got involved apart from going round the country visiting uni's but youngest at college isn't getting the same support so will have to start it with her.
dizzymum23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

Only last night I was thinking of starting a thread, so thank you op for this. I’m sure I will be visiting this regularly now for the next 12-15 months.

DD has had limited support so far from her college, other than asking for info to help her teachers write references, and to ask students to start drafting their personal statements.

However, over the past 2 weekends we have sat together and looked at different courses at various universities. With just a bit of support and someone to just talk options over with, she has got stuck in and started weighing things up. She still has some more to look at but she has a ranked list already of the ones she’s looked at, and some already ruled out, and a couple of early clear favourites so far. She’s looking at studying psychology or criminology.

She completed her first draft of her personal statement at the weekend, and over the summer she plans on refining it.

She’s booked in for at least 4 virtual uni days over the coming weeks, (I think Birmingham, newcastle, Leeds and Nottingham), and so we will take it from there really. I will just try my best to be her sounding board and support her.

She’s a bright young lady, but it was always going to be a stretch to get the grades she needs. She’s now really worried with losing so much time, and even though year 12s are supposed to be getting some face to face contact time, she hasn’t has any since March, and the college doesn’t seem to have any plans for her (priority is being given to other students with greater needs). So even with a year to go, it is a bit concerning.

I really can’t see how they are going to catch up 4 lost months, possibly more depending what happens come September, without it having a detrimental impact. I just keep trying to support her as best I can and hope for the best.

Edited at 10:02 PM.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List