Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jul 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Flojo224
VIP Dibber

Flojo224's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Anyone with allergies have a puppy/dog

We’ve been thinking about the possibility of getting a puppy, our DS12 would love one as he adores his Grandparents Westie who was born just a few weeks before him.

Problem is I’m asthmatic and have some mild allergies - some dogs affect me a LOT but others I seem to be Ok with - mums westie for instance doesn’t seem to bother me, although realistically I only spend an hour or so at a time with her.

I absolutely realise a dog is for life and that’s what’s holding us back - what if we get a dog that turns out to bother me By then I think DS would probably rather get rid of me than the dog

Does anyone with Asthma have experience of getting a new puppy - how did you cope? How did it affect you?

DH & DS would only want a medium size dog, so something like a Cockapoo. Can we make sure we get one more on the Poo side than the Cocka side?

I grew up with a dog from 4 - 18, which is why I’m torn - I know how great it was growing up with a loveable beSt friend.

2000, 2002, 2003/4, 2011 - Villa
2005 - Disneyland Paris
2007 - Disneyland, California
2014 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa
2017 - Orlando Dream Villa, Lindfields
2018 - No Disney Parks trip
2020 - Let’s do all the parks again - the trip that never was 😔
2022 - Miami & The Parks
2024 - Bahama’s Mini Cruise, Universal & lots of Halloween
Flojo224 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Friends who have Asthma and allergies have a Bedlington Terriers
They are amazing mid size dogs there tight curly non shedding coat
Makes the ideal other friends have standard poodles for the same reason again lovely and great family dogs
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m afraid I’ve not got good news for you... I grew up mildly allergic to dogs. We borrowed a cocker-poo and whilst my allergies weren’t terrible, my asthma flared up and my eyes were itchy. I took a risk because my daughter wanted a dog so much. We went for a cavapoo, being smaller, and ensured it had the curly poodle coat. I’m barely allergic to her - worst time is when she’s been out in a field and brings grass pollen in, but I know that’s the grass and not her. However, my sister needs an antihistamine to sit in a room with my dog. She has minded her when I’ve been away but I feel terribly guilty because, even with antihistamines, she still gets a tight chest and itching eyes.

I think it really is dependent on the individual person and individual dog. I can only suggest you go to see the dog, handle it a lot, let it lick you and don’t take any antihistamines before you go.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

I suffer from asthma and my sister used to have a lovely springer spaniel who unfortunately after about 1/2 an hour or so of being at her house started making me tight chested, sneezing, I used to take piriton before going round to her house. She now has a Westiepoo and I have no problem being around her or being in the house etc. I believe it’s the dander on the dogs coats that can affect you.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have a Westie, no allergies at all. I get Asthma and sneezing with Labrador’s and cats, we all have allergies and are fine around her
Old 3 Jul 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter is terribly allergic to all animal fur and dander but we have a Maltese dog and she has no problems with him.
He’s non shedding and his hair is more like human hair rather than animal fur.
Although he’s quite small, about 5 kilos, so maybe smaller than what you’re looking for.

Edited to add - I have asthma and both me and my daughter have eczema but he doesn’t affect us at all

Edited at 11:01 PM.
Danex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

Hubby a dd both have asthma, we have a shih tzu and they are ok with him, no problems at all.

i did buy an air puriFier that i put on For a couple hours a day.

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Could you borrow the grandparents dog for a few days to see how you get on with that breed?
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you have allergies, then you need to pick a dog that is hyperallergenic.
Cockerpoos are not in this category. Cocker spaniels shed their coats, whilst poodles do not, so there is no guarantee that you will not be allergic to the pup.
I have a Westiepoo and she does not shed at all - love having no hair around the house at all.
Westies are non-shedding as are poodles, so the risk is hugely reduced, but not guaranteed. Unfortunately there is no guarantee with any dog.
I would meet a dog of that breed before committing to a puppy.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
We have a Westie, no allergies at all. I get Asthma and sneezing with Labrador’s and cats, we all have allergies and are fine around her
We also have a Westie - no allergies to him here either. DD19 is incredibly allergic to cats/guinea pigs/horses/spaniels/Labradors/other little dogs whose names I cannot spell! and is just fine with our boy (we got him when the kids were 10 and 11)
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List