Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Aug 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Summer heat

Hi all only ever been in October/February time and due to go this feb ..but if that doesn’t happen it will be summer school hols 2022 for us ...is the heat as unbearable as some say ?...I go abroad alot to turkey etc so I’m used to hot but supposedly horrendous in Florida in summer ? Thanks for your input In advance
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

I haven’t been sinc ei was a kid, but I have already booked August 2022. Last there aged 12 in 1996!

I don’t think the what was too bad, it’s the humidity that makes it feel worse
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I posted this reply earlier on another thread

We've done August a few times and October. To be honest, there were days last October where it was just as wet as we have had in August, and just as hot and humid, I can remember standing in HS and my husband looking at me, and just said I thought October was supposed to be cooler?! It was boiling and humid!

August would always be out first choice as we like to go for longer and do between 14-20 nights, we can't do that in October due to school.

As long as you are prepared for the odd rain shower, sometimes a few hours of rain, but for us it has always given us a good excuse to wind down for a few hours. It's hotter than the surface of the sun at times, but at the start of the holiday we tend to be up and out early and back to the resort or villa by 2ish, towards the end we do later nights, going out at 3/4 till park close. We never do full days, it's just too hot and the kids moan, so have a good balance of pool/chillout/park time.

I’ve spent many August holidays in the Greek islands, Canary Islands etc and I can cope far easier in Florida than I do over in Europe! 2 words. Air con!

The first couple of days I always say why the hell did we come in august again, im melting blah blah blah, but after a few days you do acclimatise to it and it's fine!
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We have only been able to go in summer hols for a few years now. Always said that we would never do it but when we were faced with going in August or not at all we decided we would give it a go. As we stepped out of the airport I thought we had made the biggest mistake -it was sooooooo hot. But we found it took us a couple of days to acclimatise and plan accordingly and we managed. We have cooling towels which help. We go out early, have a break in the afternoon or book an ADR for about 2pm and go back out later. We also try and walk through air conditioned buildings regularly too. Drink plenty of water and rest when needed and it's manageable. The humidity really saps your energy but we managed. Didn't hesitate to go back again then and should be there now. I found the 1st year I took some clothes that were too thick. I packed my summer clothes that I would wear here and the tshirts and 3 quarter trousers were either too dark or made of heavier material than you realise. We have learnt over the years what we find coolest that doesn't show how sweaty you are 😂. I so wish we were there now-sweating through the heat and humidity ☹️ All part of the experience. 😊

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Also a copy and paste of mine from another thread asking the same...

It's ridiculously hot and humid and showers/storms can happen any time, particularly mid-afternoon.

However, most of my 30 or so visits have been in August and even though my ideal temperature would be 20 degrees with a light breeze, I've always coped fine.

Your "start early and get out" approach will serve you well. Retreat to chill, swim and rest and return to the parks in the evening when the sun is down and the temperature is less intense.

Other than that, there's more than enough air con about - ride queues, shops and restaurants etc to help you cool down if you do find it a bit much.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 03:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Also a copy and paste of mine from another thread asking the same...

It's ridiculously hot and humid and showers/storms can happen any time, particularly mid-afternoon.

However, most of my 30 or so visits have been in August and even though my ideal temperature would be 20 degrees with a light breeze, I've always coped fine.

Your "start early and get out" approach will serve you well. Retreat to chill, swim and rest and return to the parks in the evening when the sun is down and the temperature is less intense.

Other than that, there's more than enough air con about - ride queues, shops and restaurants etc to help you cool down if you do find it a bit much.
Cheers bozza...sounds manageable 👍
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
We have only been able to go in summer hols for a few years now. Always said that we would never do it but when we were faced with going in August or not at all we decided we would give it a go. As we stepped out of the airport I thought we had made the biggest mistake -it was sooooooo hot. But we found it took us a couple of days to acclimatise and plan accordingly and we managed. We have cooling towels which help. We go out early, have a break in the afternoon or book an ADR for about 2pm and go back out later. We also try and walk through air conditioned buildings regularly too. Drink plenty of water and rest when needed and it's manageable. The humidity really saps your energy but we managed. Didn't hesitate to go back again then and should be there now. I found the 1st year I took some clothes that were too thick. I packed my summer clothes that I would wear here and the tshirts and 3 quarter trousers were either too dark or made of heavier material than you realise. We have learnt over the years what we find coolest that doesn't show how sweaty you are 😂. I so wish we were there now-sweating through the heat and humidity ☹️ All part of the experience. 😊
Noted ...find very thin clothes that don’t show how much I’m sweating 😂thanks dawnie!
Old 24 Aug 20, 03:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I posted this reply earlier on another thread

We've done August a few times and October. To be honest, there were days last October where it was just as wet as we have had in August, and just as hot and humid, I can remember standing in HS and my husband looking at me, and just said I thought October was supposed to be cooler?! It was boiling and humid!

August would always be out first choice as we like to go for longer and do between 14-20 nights, we can't do that in October due to school.

As long as you are prepared for the odd rain shower, sometimes a few hours of rain, but for us it has always given us a good excuse to wind down for a few hours. It's hotter than the surface of the sun at times, but at the start of the holiday we tend to be up and out early and back to the resort or villa by 2ish, towards the end we do later nights, going out at 3/4 till park close. We never do full days, it's just too hot and the kids moan, so have a good balance of pool/chillout/park time.

I’ve spent many August holidays in the Greek islands, Canary Islands etc and I can cope far easier in Florida than I do over in Europe! 2 words. Air con!

The first couple of days I always say why the hell did we come in august again, im melting blah blah blah, but after a few days you do acclimatise to it and it's fine!
Well if you can cope more in Florida than Greece etc ..similar heat to turkey I’m sure we will be fine !
Old 24 Aug 20, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Manc1979 View Post
Noted ...find very thin clothes that don’t show how much I’m sweating 😂thanks dawnie!
The quick dry spirts type fabrics make a huge difference here if you are in the parks or outside.

Believe it or not my 14 year old spent the day in jeans and a hoodie but she was mostly in the house or shopping mall.
Old 24 Aug 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
The quick dry spirts type fabrics make a huge difference here if you are in the parks or outside.

Believe it or not my 14 year old spent the day in jeans and a hoodie but she was mostly in the house or shopping mall.
I definitely wouldn’t be in a hoodie if I lived there 😂...is it around the late 90s temperature wise most days in summer ?