Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Emptying a freezer?

We have a large upright freezer, and I freely admit to stuffing it full most of the time ( can’t resist a bargain).

But...we are moving from Wiltshire to Kinghorn in Fife sometime in mid November. We can’t move straight into our new house (won’t be finished by then) so we are staying in a smallish furnished holiday let in Pittenweem for a few months.

I’m trying my best to use up everything in my freezer, but I fear I won’t succeed. We can’t take anything with us as the trip up takes two days.

Any suggestions on how to manage this, or whether I can donate anything we can’t eat? I’m loath to bin stuff, but I fear I might have to.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Try neighbours?
Anne is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

any local groups that cook for the homeless or those without?
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
You have several weeks; so that’s quite a lot of meals; do a recce of what’s in there and meal plan, eat leftovers for lunch etc.
But yes see if there is anything The neighbours would want
Old 14 Oct 20, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

There's an app called Olio that lets you connect with local neighbours to share leftover bits and pieces to stop them going to waste
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We moved 18 months ago, the sale of the house went through very suddenly and I had loads of stuff in my freezer I hadn't managed to eat. I put an advert on a local facebook page offering it free - honestly thought though 'who would want this', but loads of people commented. The lady who picked it up arrived within 10 minutes of me posting and said to me 'honestly you have no idea what this means to us', she was so grateful. I am sure in these times it would mean even more.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
We moved 18 months ago, the sale of the house went through very suddenly and I had loads of stuff in my freezer I hadn't managed to eat. I put an advert on a local facebook page offering it free - honestly thought though 'who would want this', but loads of people commented. The lady who picked it up arrived within 10 minutes of me posting and said to me 'honestly you have no idea what this means to us', she was so grateful. I am sure in these times it would mean even more.
I am moving next week and emptying my current place as I need it refurbished so was going to originally leave the freezer as is but suddenly I need to empty it . I was going to bin it all but now will use FB page - thanks for the tip I would never have given that a thought and ever better if it helps feed a family in these trying hard times then its a win win
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
This is a brilliant idea. I have seen Olio but there are very few users in our area. The local Facebook page would be a great idea. As some earlier posters said, I need to do a stocktake to see exactly what I have too. The I can cross some off as I use it. Thanks all for the ideas.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List