Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Feb 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Another vote for San Diego, much nicer than LA
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Before I ever went to San Diego, I had the same dilemma. Now I’ve been, I wouldn’t do LA again. San Diego, hands down is the friendliest US city. San Diego all the way.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lynne6705 View Post
We actually enjoyed our time in LA, loved walking round Griffith Park, doing the tourist stuff was good fun, day at six flags and people watching at Venice and Malibu was fantastic
I agree. Like many places if you did deep about one can find beauty . I get a huge buzz being in LA. The sunlight, Palm tree lined boulevards and general buzz of the place makes me feel alive - round every corner is like a Sven out of a movie . From the glamour of West Hollywood to the great beaches then lunch at Malibu can’t be beaten - the only downer is the traffic which can be truly horrendous but that’s LA for you !

I used to work out of SAN Diego for over 10 years and love the place - it’s very relaxing but 2 days there is enough for me know and given my former work colleagues there prefer to meet me in Palm Springs when I am over I don’t go back there that often
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post

We're learning to love LA after four visits, although we normally stay down in Anaheim, Newport Beach or Huntingdon. More than enough to do to fill three days while avoiding the grimy tourist traps.

Last summer we saw the LA Philharmonic at the iconic Hollywood Bowl; saw a musical at the iconic Hollywood Pantages theatre; spent a couple of great days around Orange County beaches including hiring an e-bike and spent the day zooming from Newport through Huntingdon and further north towards Long Beach; a visit to the Getty Villa; some amazing local food places; spent some time at Griffith Observatory; as well as a few days at Disneyland before a drive up Highway 1 to Monterey, SF and Napa. We've spent a little bit of time in San Diego over the years and to be honest I find it rather boring. Laid back, pleasant, chilled, but for us a little tedious.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The only reason we went to the LA area on our last trip was to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain, and then stay on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. We drove down the PCH from San Francisco, stopped at Santa Barbara for the night before driving to Vegas, then on the way back from Vegas stopped at Six Flags, then spent the next 6 nights in San Diego.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CaliforniaKid
Helping Mickey

Mobile

San Diego is a lovely city, gorgeous parks and brilliant nightlife in the Gaslamp District. A couple of days there will fly by.

However, Los Angeles is a thing of beauty. For me the greatest city in the world, I've been obsessed by LA since I was a young teen and tried (unsuccessfully) to live there but my job has set me back.

I couldn't see everything in two weeks, let alone two days. I even like the traffic, driving on freeways at night in downtown is like being in Gotham City - electrifying! Some great advice above of places to see, I'd also throw in The Getty, La Brea Tar Pits, The Grove (for shopping).

Some lovely places outside the urban sprawl, Ventura, Dana Point, Orange County is fab in general. Get a boat out to Catalina Island. So much to see.
CaliforniaKid is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List