Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Feb 20, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

PAYG and lyft/uber - here now.

Oh jeez. Please anyone help me! I have a payg sim card, get a few bits of data which is fine for uk etc. Now I'm here, I was outside mco and wanted a lyft. No free Wi-Fi around that I could pick up , needed mobile data on, well, that drained my entire phone top up in split seconds! No Lyft! We ended up with just grabbing a taxi from the stand. We're now at LBV resort and spa and their free shuttles doesn't take pushchairs! 😭. So, I basically can't use uber/lyft unless I have access to free WiFi... how do you all manage? all I've heard is that it's so easy to use, yet im at a loss. Do I need to get an USA SIM card or something? Urghhh. Xx

Thanks in advance xxz

Edited at 02:41 AM.
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 01:54 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Can you not top up your sim on line ... although I managed with WiFi with Lyft without any issues.
If your phone is unlocked buying a SIM would work , if it’s not unlocked more issues.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 02:36 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

^^ don't really want to top up again as I had a txt from o2 saying 1MB was £7.50 😳. If I put on mobile data again (even accidently) it would zap £20 in a couple of mins. So I just need wifi to get a lyft, maybe doable if I can hit free WiFi spaces (seaworld etc). Is i-drive generally a free WiFi space? Xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 04:43 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Most resorts have free wifi. There is free wifi in the airport, for next time just book it and then work out where they will be and hover closely.

A lot of shops have free wifi too, you just have to hunt them out and find a good spot. Disney and universal also have wifi.

I only use free wifi and always manage without using my data
Old 15 Feb 20, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post

I have always managed with free wifi/ Admittedly I don't stray too far from Disney or Universal properties, but I do occasionally and have found there to be free wifi in shopping malls or restaurants, which are the only other places I would be.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I only know iphone but you can turn each app off mobile data individually. Go into settings. Mobile data and switch everything off except Uber.

Alternatively you can buy a sim card out there. But again If it’s for a limited amount of data you will need to check why you used so much and turn everything off.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you guys. You're the best at sorting my dilemma' out ❤. I've put my phone on airplane mode and then put Wi-Fi on, gets it's my best bet at preventing more charges. I didn't even think to try and access mco Wi-Fi, i thought if my phone didn't automatically pick it up, it didn't exist 😔. My mistake. I really need a Wal-Mart trip so I'm hoping they have Wi-Fi too (LBV) area. Thanks for the quick assistance all the same dibbers xxxxx
Old 15 Feb 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
the_em0hawk
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Most likely thing that happened when you turned on mobile data is that every app that uses background data "phoned home" and synced up because they'd been disconnected for some time. That could potentially chew up a chunk of your data allowance - you didn't say how much data you had available so I'm presuming it was relatively low.
If you're on an Android phone you can check which apps are using data, search the settings for "app data usage", from there you should be able to see which apps have used data in your current cycle and turn off the ones at the top of the list that you don't need.
the_em0hawk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

You could buy a US PAYG SIM card from Walmart which is not far from LBV resort

Your phone will need to be unlocked !

A US PAYG card will be cheaper than using your UK 02 PAYG Sim card
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Walmart has free wifi you just need to sign into it when you get there.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List