Notices

Old 29 Oct 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 4 Sai Kung

O had again set his alarm for 7.10am as he wanted to get back to study. Plus he had a class at 12.

We both had showers and headed down to breakfast. O had pastries followed by egg and hash browns. I went for the local version. Tomato rice and noodles with a healthy sprinkling of coriander - my favourite herb. This was washed down with a cappuccino.

We came back to the room, O got his stuff together and left. He sent me a WhatsApp 20 minutes later to say he had safely arrived!

My destination today was Sai Kung - a coastal town to the north. I caught the bus from the bus station next to the hotel. For the princely sum of HK$7.20/less than a euro I got taken via O's university to the town in about 40 minutes.

Having got off the bus, my first view was of a small temple.

As with all these temples there was an incense smell in the air.

I made my way toward the sea but was drawn into the local market. There was lots of fish.

And behind the market, over the bike racks were some filleted fish air drying. Later in the day they had gone!

I arrived at the sea front and wandered around in one direction.

More air drying fish! I am surprised the birds don't attack the fish

There were a lot of fishing boats of all sizes.

And great views out to the islands beyond. Apparently it is a popular weekend spot for the locals.

There were a lot of restaurants on the sea front - and even at 10.45am they were busy.

I walked to the end of the pier where there were quite a few people fishing. I sat on a bench and enjoyed just taking surroundings.

Looking back at the town, it has to be said that it isn't the prettiest - lots of concrete monstrosities!

I took a walk along the coastal path to the nearest beach. There are some spectacular beaches but they are a bus ride/hike away and on my own I didn't really fancy getting lost!

It really is a world away from the high rise city - and very peaceful.

I passed a BBQ restaurant with its own Peppa Pig family...

I was now quite peckish so I found a restaurant that has a menu I could understand!

I had a salad to start with!

Followed by a fish burger and fries. The fish was a bit undercooked for me so I ate the edge pieces!

With a coke it was HK$98/about 12 euros.

Upon leaving the restaurant, it started raining - lightly at first and then more strongly. I decided it was probably a good time to go back!

The first bus I saw was a green mini bus to Po Lam. I knew this was two stops from my MTR stop so decided to chance it.

It called at O's university again (a shame that I can't access any public wifi except the hotel one so I couldn't contact O to see if he fancied a coffee! ) and then went around the houses to get to the terminus.

There was an other market there which I wandered around. One of my strongest memories from my trip to Hong Kong in 2013 was the smell of roasting meet at a place hotel - it was grim.

The market has some word and wonderful things on offer. Here brain and what looked like the scalp of an animal.

Pig trotters - my nanna would have been in her element!

My favourite roasted birds..

And I have no idea - tripe to the right?

And shops selling popular Chinese delicacies!

I caught the train back to the hotel - it had stopped raining but was still very overcast. However it was still warm.

I had a long rest after all my walking.

At about 7.30 pm I made my way down to the mall. It has to be said that they are so very confusing as one mall seamlessly goes into the next and trying to find something you saw before is virtually impossible!

I took a different turning and came to more restaurants - one is a possibility with O!

I wasn’t too hungry so just got a cinnamon danish from one of the many bakeries. It wasn't great - a bit too dry and not enough cinnamon.

I had a quiet evening - ready for another heavy walking day tomorrow!

Edited at 12:46 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 29 Oct 19 11:42 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day sightseeing I wonder if the fish over the bikes drips on to the seats some interesting foods in the markets!

Joan
Old 29 Oct 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good day sightseeing I wonder if the fish over the bikes drips on to the seats some interesting foods in the markets!

Joan
That would be a different way of smelling fishy...

In the actual supermarkets there is a wide range of things - some recognizable some not but more than enough that I could happily survive here!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

A great day, the view looking out from the coast looks lovely, shame about the concrete blocks behind. Glad you enjoyed your day x
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
A great day, the view looking out from the coast looks lovely, shame about the concrete blocks behind. Glad you enjoyed your day x
Thanks! It was lovely to see a different part of Hong Kong.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 31 Oct 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I missed this one so I’m reading out of order now 😀 How nice to have a day away from the city, the sea views are lovely.

The markets on the way back look a little grim, I’m a meat eater but I don’t know if I would want to try some of the more exotic meats on offer there. I do enjoy wandering around markets and supermarkets in other countries though, you see some amazing sights
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The market looks interesting, lots of unusual items for sale, well unusual for us. You seem to be enjoying your tour of the city and all the sights. I hope O did well in his exams, he certainly seems to be very dedicated and is knuckling down to study even with your visit going on.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

You are so brave to go off and explore all these places, I do admire you with all your travels.
The markets must be so fascinating in what they sell in both a good and bad way, not sure I would like seeing some of the things they sell. I’m really enjoying reading along.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I missed this one so I’m reading out of order now 😀 How nice to have a day away from the city, the sea views are lovely.

The markets on the way back look a little grim, I’m a meat eater but I don’t know if I would want to try some of the more exotic meats on offer there. I do enjoy wandering around markets and supermarkets in other countries though, you see some amazing sights
There is so much more to Hong Kong than the city!

The markets are so interesting though a lot of it is a bit off putting. Having said that, I could happily food shop and cook here.

Index of my trip reports