Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 21 Dec 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
but there are ways to buy just the meat you do like and not waste so much food.

We buy a crown, does our family Christmas day and turkey/leek/ham pie a couple of days later. No waste at all.

My butcher is a one man business and only sells whole birds not crowns - we do what works for us

Good job we are all different hey
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
I make this with the brown meat for Boxing Day, it tastes a bit like crispy duck and nice to have something light.

jamieoliver/recipes/...-turkey-salad/
Our turkey pie is one of his - tweaked to our taste...

jamieoliver/recipes/...weet-leek-pie/
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Love turkey but must admit I don't like the dark meat, for that reason we always now get a turkey crown.
We're fortunate to have a family friend who is an organic butcher/farmer, we don't like to take advantage so have shopped elsewhere at times (usually M&S as I love their turkey crowns with gluten free stuffing, or our local farm shop) but this year our friend has gifted us an organic turkey crown which we're going to collect on Monday.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

You can make a great curry with the dark meat off of a turkey 😊
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

We've bought 2 frozen turkey crowns for the first time this year. Google stays 36 hours to defrost and packaging says keep in fridge for up to 5 days?!?

We're taking out of freezer on Monday evening and cooking Wednesday. Also got a joint of beef as we're cooking for 15 😱
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
You can make a great curry with the dark meat off of a turkey 😊
We always buy a large whole turkey then DH makes Jamie Oliver’s Leftover Turkey Curry with all the leftover meat, including the dark meat, on Boxing Day. It’s absolutely delicious.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Picked our frozen Turkey up today, 4.2kg €16.

We prefer white meat but we pick off the dark meat for a curry or something, cant notice the difference then.
Then the cats get the carcass, nothing goes to waste.

Hubs beer-cans the Turkey in the bbq
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

We always had a frozen turkey, put loads of butter between the skin and flesh and a bit more on top of the skin, season we’ll and cook 20 min per lb and 20 mins over... used all of the meat... turkey and ham or mushroom pies, turkey in white sauce with rice or pasta... will freeze after cooking and use when needed...
I now buy a rib of beef for Christmas dinner (only 2 of us) and a turkey breast for New Year’s Eve buffet (18 of us)...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I do wish my mum would do something cheaper. She insists on a turkey from M&S there are 6 of us for dinner at her house this year and the turkey has cost me £55!
My mum over cooks it every year! It’s so dry and tough. Her gravy is literally brown water 🤮 something has generally gone cold before serving and I hate cold food!
Bless her, she is the worst cook but she would be so insulted and upset if we did not go every year. Plus no one is allowed in her kitchen so I cat even help to make it better lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List