Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We have still not booked our fights for our upcoming trip. It’s looking like we will have to fly indirect and pay an extra thousand pound for the privilege!
We can’t drive down to London because we really don’t want to leave our car there for a month. I am an anxious flyer to say the least, my daughter has type 1 diabetes and flying has a massive negative impact on her bloods, my middle son has ADHD and ASD, our youngest son will be 7 so needs entertaining and a long day/flight will have a impact on him.
All in all it’s not a straight forward, easy flight so a direct flight is hugely beneficial.

Next year (2021) we had planned on going to Florida again because we have 3 big celebrations. My husband is 50, daughter is 18 and it’s our 20th wedding anniversary! But this flight situation is really putting a dark cloud over it and we are now considering not going.

I know this is such a superficial problem to have and I know we are extremely lucky to even consider going two years in a trot.
We don’t go out, we don’t drink or smoke, we don’t have take aways etc we save very hard for our holidays because they are very special but where do we draw the line. Tickets have gone up, flights have gone up, villas have gone up, car hire hire too. We are becoming priced out I am afraid.
Our children think we are still going next year and will be gutted if we don’t go. We have requested villa prices but not booked anything yet (sorry if I have not got back to dibb owners but we are unsure at the moment)
I was hoping that Manchester would have some other airline in place after the TC situation. At the moment Virgin has the monopoly for Manchester.

Sorry for the long moaning post!

As TheHughesCrew said above the airlines should be able to offer free seating for you due to the children having medical issues.

If you end up travelling with BA they have recently opened a Special Assistance Department based in Newcastle and the staff are friendly and experienced - its a freephone telephone number and they work Monday to Friday 9 till 5. So worth giving them a call if you book with BA.

BA Special Assistance Freephone number 0800 408 1100
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Just my thoughts

I do think it's easier if one person takes over the planning, clearly discussing issues, prices etc. That means they have all the information needed rather it being split between more people.

In our family, I plan, book, research. My husband puts in his thouggts but is generally happy to go along with things although just occasionally says definately not and I am happy to go along with that. As far as paying is concerned it's all ours not his or mine so we have what we want.

He is happy to get on with doing the things he enjoys, not planning holidays though he enjoys them.

I know every family is different, different things work for different people but maybe OP you could take over the planning this year, it might be easier.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Thank you for your replies.
My husband has done a rough price for trains to London and we will be looking at around £4-500 (sounds a lot me me)
Certainly happy to fly in direct. Well not happy but you know what I mean, needs must etc.
But we do begrudge paying an extra thousand pound for an indirect flight that we have always paid for indirect
We have been saving virgin air miles (credit card) but they are less then useless to be honest with a family of five and pretty much tied to dates with school holidays
Moan moan moan lol
Sorry for the negativity
You must price up with a railcard (£30 to buy) - kids are had price and adults are reduced. Makes a massive saving.
Train is our preferred method of transport now, with luggage- honestly it’s great.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Just my thoughts

I do think it's easier if one person takes over the planning, clearly discussing issues, prices etc. That means they have all the information needed rather it being split between more people.

In our family, I plan, book, research. My husband puts in his thouggts but is generally happy to go along with things although just occasionally says definately not and I am happy to go along with that. As far as paying is concerned it's all ours not his or mine so we have what we want.

He is happy to get on with doing the things he enjoys, not planning holidays though he enjoys them.

I know every family is different, different things work for different people but maybe OP you could take over the planning this year, it might be easier.
This is how we do it, I plan it and run ideas by him, I know what he likes and what he doesn’t, what he’s willing to go for and what he’s not, I have a few health issues which impact certain choices, but we’re generally pretty flexible.

OP - I would look at the one way car hire aswell, that sounds like a much more practical way if you were travelling from London.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Millymoo you never book flights and hotels separately as it always works out dearer ! If that was true why do a very high percentage of us book separately, why would we bother.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
HermioneFuzzle
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
Have you thought about flying with Aer Lingus from Manchester via Dublin. We have a layover of 2hr 35mins, we will go through US customs in Dublin so I am thinking that this may well cancel itself out having to wait for customs in Orlando, so door to door time should roughly be the same.

We saved around £1000 doing this rather than Virgin direct
This works out really well for most people (spectacularly did not work out for us because of flight delays, lost luggage). However, the biggest issue for flying this route with children with additional needs is clearing customs before the longest flight means that you can’t take any substantial food onto the flight for them unless you purchase it after customs. We didn’t get chance because we had to run to our Dub-Mia flight. Thankfully I had loaded up on sweets and crisps for the kids. I was waiting for the eldest (ASD) to kick off though.
I just wouldn’t ever fly this route indirect again with my kids, but that’s through bitter experience and personal choice.

This year we have Gatwick flights, we’re going to drive the 3 hours there and back and swallow the hotel bills the nights before and after. Plus the car parking cost.

OP I hear you and totally understand your frustration. I really hope you find a solution.
HermioneFuzzle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
HermioneFuzzle
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
As TheHughesCrew said above the airlines should be able to offer free seating for you due to the children having medical issues.

If you end up travelling with BA they have recently opened a Special Assistance Department based in Newcastle and the staff are friendly and experienced - its a freephone telephone number and they work Monday to Friday 9 till 5. So worth giving them a call if you book with BA.

BA Special Assistance Freephone number 0800 408 1100
I second this too- BA Assistance have sorted us out- they allocated our seats together, and have put a note on our booking for special assistance. I was honestly so relieved that I cried. We already feel that we’ve paid top dollar for our flights as we need to fly direct with the kids. As an SEN parent you become accustomed to just paying the extra for the quieter, easier, more options versions of everything, for the sake of sanity and just doing something that “normal” families do. Take the help where it exists. Good luck.
HermioneFuzzle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by HermioneFuzzle View Post
This works out really well for most people (spectacularly did not work out for us because of flight delays, lost luggage). However, the biggest issue for flying this route with children with additional needs is clearing customs before the longest flight means that you can’t take any substantial food onto the flight for them unless you purchase it after customs. We didn’t get chance because we had to run to our Dub-Mia flight. Thankfully I had loaded up on sweets and crisps for the kids. I was waiting for the eldest (ASD) to kick off though.
I just wouldn’t ever fly this route indirect again with my kids, but that’s through bitter experience and personal choice.

This year we have Gatwick flights, we’re going to drive the 3 hours there and back and swallow the hotel bills the nights before and after. Plus the car parking cost.

OP I hear you and totally understand your frustration. I really hope you find a solution.
You can bring food through but not drinks as long as you declare
Old 22 Feb 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by HermioneFuzzle View Post
I second this too- BA Assistance have sorted us out- they allocated our seats together, and have put a note on our booking for special assistance. I was honestly so relieved that I cried. We already feel that we’ve paid top dollar for our flights as we need to fly direct with the kids. As an SEN parent you become accustomed to just paying the extra for the quieter, easier, more options versions of everything, for the sake of sanity and just doing something that “normal” families do. Take the help where it exists. Good luck.
There are extremely tight controls on airlines flying to the US around anyone with a disability, BA etc have to make adjustments. Virgin ended up paying me a £1k because they decided to ignore these US laws.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
There are extremely tight controls on airlines flying to the US around anyone with a disability, BA etc have to make adjustments. Virgin ended up paying me a £1k because they decided to ignore these US laws.
The new BA department isn't just for the US ( on Dibb we generally concentrate on that area) it is for their whole network. We do need to remember that they are still reliant on the services provided by 3rd parties - for example BAA 3rd party contractors at Heathrow - and at times things can go wrong. I think it is a positive step forward especially for anyone who may be affected by a hidden disability that airlines are taking this into account.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List