Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 23 Feb 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile Tomorrow we are attempting a vegetarian diet

So as of tomorrow my husband and I will attempt to adopt a vegetarian diet. We want to try it for a month so see if we notice any health benefits.

Any suggestions on good recipes to try, I would really appreciate your recommendations
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
So as of tomorrow my husband and I will attempt to adopt a vegetarian diet. We want to try it for a month so see if we notice any health benefits.

Any suggestions on good recipes to try, I would really appreciate your recommendations
My kids and husband's favourite veggie meal is enchiladas/nachos/chilli ... I love it too as it is quick. Soften a chopped onion and yellow pepper in a frying pan, add a tin of spiced mixed beans and some chilli powder, add a tin of tomatoes, simmer for 10 mins.

Then either serve with tortilla chips, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa,
Or fold into wraps and put them in a dish , grate cheese on top and put in oven for 15 minutes.
Or serve with rice .
Or serve with cheesy chips.
It is quite versatile.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
My kids and husband's favourite veggie meal is enchiladas/nachos/chilli ... I love it too as it is quick. Soften a chopped onion and yellow pepper in a frying pan, add a tin of spiced mixed beans and some chilli powder, add a tin of tomatoes, simmer for 10 mins
Then either serve with tortilla chips, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa,
Or fold into wraps and put them in a dish , grate cheese on top and put in oven for 15 minutes.
Or serve with rice .
Or serve with cheesy chips.
It is quite versatile.
That sounds really yummy, and yet simple.

Thanks for sharing
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been vegetarian for 38 years and DH and DD have for past four years. So many good meat substitutes about now, we really like the Richmond meat free sausages and most Linda McCartney stuff.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I don't really have any recipe suggestions, but if you were intending to use meat substitute products from the supermarket, this is my experience from my dd turning veggie last spring.

We found quorn less pleasant, particularly the chicken pieces, which i tried a few different ways, and ended up binning, as me and dd found them inedible.

Frys frozen nuggets are scarily similar to the real thing. One of the best products i buy.

We have found linda McCartney pies, and sausages, and naked glory brand burgers and sausages good. Most of the mince substitutes are ok.

Jamie oliver did a series on channel four a few months ago, you might be able to find it on catch up. We particularly liked the veggie shepherds pie and green macaroni cheese. Good luck with your change.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

chickpea and spinach curry is really easy and very tasty. There are lots of recipes online but this one uses curry paste instead of having to buy all the different spices. We also use a lot of quorn mince (or tesco veggie mince) to make bolognese and chillis or alternatively just use lentils. The quorn products are really good - we use their chicken-piece substitute as part of stir fries as it's really easy and good to use. Halloumi and spinach coconut curry is another favourite in this house

Edited at 09:30 PM.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

A lot of the meatless farm company and viv era meat substitute chilled products are also really nice. There are also some really good fish replacement products now
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

Mobile

I’m eating a much more veggie diet but am not using meat substitutes; favourites Hairy Bikers lentil bolognese, halloumi & chick pea curry, mozzarella and tomato gnocchi... look on Abel & Cole for some nice vegetable based recipes.
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Vegetarian food such as sausages, burgers etc are so much more expensive than meat products and I don't know why.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Picalily View Post
Vegetarian food such as sausages, burgers etc are so much more expensive than meat products and I don't know why.
Have not really found that to be the case - but we like "finest" type meat sausages - 80%+ meat -
Linda McCartney 6 Red onion and Rosemary sausages £2
Tesco 6 finest own brand Pork (or Pork and Leek) £2.50

(Walls are £2.10 for 8 of the same size, Richmond £2 for 8 are low in meat anyhow)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List