Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Feb 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Not using a car for 8 months?

I don't really have any use for my second car especially come April when I will be retiring, but although it's getting on in age, it's a solid car that we've had for years and has been very reliable. My son will use it for 4 months this summer, and would like to have it next year. I am thinking of sorning it and keeping it on my mum's drive for 8 months. I can regularly start it and move it a few feet back and forth on her drive, but i won't be actually driving it.

My concern is if it will cause any issues having it un driven for so long, so any opinions appreciated?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
captjack
Trying for More Ears

The brake discs will go rusty and may seize especially if we have a lot of rain, I would disconnect and if possible remove the battery to save it from going flat and make sure you clear out anything that may be considered food to rodents as if a mouse or rat gets in they tend to like chewing through wiring looms and that can be very expensive, I live out in the country so it is a bigger problem out here.
captjack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have a pick up that only gets used a few times a year. I tend to drive it a few miles every 4 weeks or so to keep the brakes rust free, but I see no major issue with what you plan, but as stated, the brakes are the potential issue.

If it were me, I would;
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Leave it with no handbrake on (a couple of blocks to secure if any hint of a slope)

When it's first driven, it will take a few miles for the pads to clear the discs of any surface rust, but should be OK.

That said, I am no mechanic
Old 24 Feb 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I did this with a car I had as got a company car but didn’t really want to sell it.
Anyway, as mentioned above definitely disconnect the battery. I didn’t, just started it once a month or so but this killed the battery and I had to get an new one.

Other than that it was fine.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A Guy I know has a Rover laid up but it’s in a warm garage.

He has it on wooden blocks though to take the strain off the tyres.

Google says
Don’t use a cover as it moves and scratches the paint.
Fill the fuel tank to avoid condensation building up.
Leave the handbrake off, so chock the wheels.
Battery, as posted earlier.
Run it regularly to a decent temperature.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
A Guy I know has a Rover laid up but it’s in a warm garage.

He has it on wooden blocks though to take the strain off the tyres.

Google says
Don’t use a cover as it moves and scratches the paint.
Fill the fuel tank to avoid condensation building up.
Leave the handbrake off, so chock the wheels.
Battery, as posted earlier.
Run it regularly to a decent temperature.
And pump the tyres way up so there is less chance of them flatting.

And whe. you want to use it again, have it checked out by a professions. You will likely need a service for things like condensation forming inside the block and dripping into the oil.
If it were me, I would also be locking the clutch down with a piece of wood against the clutch pedal otherwise it may stick in ten same way the handbrake will.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Used to be an army brat, soldiers regularly left their cars for 6 months when on deployment. They would put the car on blocks to avoid tyres going flat, and disconnect the battery. If you are going to start it regularly and move it you need to make sure if is running long enough to get fully warm otherwise you will cause more damage than good.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Many thanks guys, and in truth I'm unsure whether to insure and tax it just to avoid it seizing up, but my wife's car is usually used twice a week, my main car doesn't get used as much as it should (used twice in the past 5 or so weeks), so it would be hundreds down the drain just to give the 3rd car a run every few weeks.

Thanks again.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We’ve got a old passat in the drive, dh won’t get rid of it! 🤷 He starts it up every now and again and it still goes, why he is keeping it Idk 😐 🤦
Old 25 Feb 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
We’ve got a old passat in the drive, dh won’t get rid of it! 🤷 He starts it up every now and again and it still goes, why he is keeping it Idk 😐 🤦
Sandra, in your area it's the norm that people keep old bangers on their drives, along with old tyres, washing machines and generally rubbish, so at least you fit nicely into your area