Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Jan 20, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Southfields is a shorter and easier walk to the tennis grounds, and especially so if you need to join the queue for entry, which starts in Wimbledon Park.

As mentioned above, there are shuttle buses from Wimbledon station.

There are plenty of affordable hotels in the Earls Court and Paddington/Bayswater areas, which are both on the District Line to Southfields/Wimbledon, but I’d agree that it’s within easy distance of most of central and west central London. Hotels around Waterloo could also be an option.

Generally the Wimbledon fortnight, especially the first week, is one of the busiest periods in the year for London hotels, so budget accommodation is at a premium.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve been looking at lots of different options, but think I might go for the premier inn at county hall, which says we’d walk the 15 minutes to Westminster and then take district line out. It’s only one day. Is this doable?
There is a premier inn the night before at London Wimbledon south, but it would mean moving hotel as will spend the day before in London.

Edited at 10:35 PM.
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

The "Wimbledon South" Premier Inn is slightly creatively named...

It's not on the right tube line (it's fairly close to Colliers Wood tube station which is on the Northern line and there's no way to change over to the District line - at least not without going into London and back out again).

There's a bus (think it's the 200 but don't quote me on that) that would take you to Wimbledon station to connect with the shuttle/walk up the hill. You could probably walk to Wimbledon Station in about 30 mins.
Old 27 Jan 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

If you get the chance wander up to Wimbledon village and the common. You may spot a womble or two picking up the litter

It's a lovely area, I was born there but moved aged 4, but used to go to the tennis before it became so big. You could queue and get in on the day fery easily, get free standing space on centre court in the evening and watch some fabulous tennis.

The players would often walk around and sign autographs and have photos with you. Those were the days
Old 27 Jan 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Not sure what dates you are looking for but the Antoinette Hotel in Wimbledon village is still showing some availability. I have stayed there before and its in an excellent position. Surrounded by shops/bars/restaurants and only a 30 minute-ish walk up to the AELTC (even when carrying a heavy tennis bag!).
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
I’ve been looking at lots of different options, but think I might go for the premier inn at county hall, which says we’d walk the 15 minutes to Westminster and then take district line out. It’s only one day. Is this doable?
There is a premier inn the night before at London Wimbledon south, but it would mean moving hotel as will spend the day before in London.
If you stay at the Premier Inn County Hall you have both easy options for transport to the tennis. It’s right next to Waterloo station for the train to Wimbledon, or across the river from Westminster (less than 15 mins walk, probably not even 10) for the tube to Southfields. Train from Waterloo to Wimbledon station will be quicker than tube to Southfields, but a bit longer walk (or the shuttle bus) at the other end.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Not sure what dates you are looking for but the Antoinette Hotel in Wimbledon village is still showing some availability. I have stayed there before and its in an excellent position. Surrounded by shops/bars/restaurants and only a 30 minute-ish walk up to the AELTC (even when carrying a heavy tennis bag!).
Thank you, I was looking for a triple room, so no availablilty
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List