Notices

View Poll Results: Settle an argument. Who was the biggest?
Elvis Presley 178 50.28%
Micheal Jackson 65 18.36%
The Beatles 99 27.97%
Other 12 3.39%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 May 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Considering the 3 where most popular at different tines it's harder to judge. By definition the ones who where popular earliest would generally be more popular as they would reach a larger audience over time. If you go by concert numbers then these 3 don't even rank. John Michel Jarre played to over 3.5 million in one concert series in 1997. Rod Stewart also played to 3.5 million in 1984 in Brazil.

Edited at 08:37 AM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Depends when you were born , my first husband was born in 1960 and even as a child adored Elvis . Queen were my first “big” rock gig at 15 (Hyde Park around 1975) and Freddie was definitely one of greats but it seems me there’s a mindset that to be “one of the greats” you need to be dead !

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I’m throwing Queen into the mix, loved by DH and me (born in the 60’s). Also loved by our older sons, in their 30’s who were very sad when Freddie died when they were little. Also our DD, 20, enjoys and appreciates their music.

Bohemian Rhapsody was recently a hugely successful film, and Queen concerts still sell out. To me, they are the most famous and are still well known today. None of our adult children could name an Elvis song or name more than one Beatle. We visited Central Park and had to explain who John Lennon was to them.They were famous in their times but no longer. Michael Jackson would be the most famous from the three on the original list in terms of being known across a broad range of ages.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Considering the 3 where most popular at different tines it's harder to judge. By definition the ones who where popular earliest would generally be more popular as they would reach a larger audience over time. If you go by concert numbers then these 3 don't even rank. John Michel Jarre played to over 3.5 million in one concert series in 1997. Rod Stewart also played to 3.5 million in 1984 in Brazil.
I’m not sure you can judge it based on concert attendances. Any number of artists could achieve those audiences if they embarked on the same tour.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
I’m not sure you can judge it based on concert attendances. Any number of artists could achieve those audiences if they embarked on the same tour.
Be Phil Collins if that was the case as he performed in both Live Aids courtesy of Concorde !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Be Phil Collins if that was the case as he performed in both Live Aids courtesy of Concorde !
You could then argue that it is Jefferson Airplane. They headlined Woodstock (400,000), Altamont (300,000) and Monterey (90,000). (It clearly isn’t, by the way).

Those are three of the most important and seminal concerts of all time. The summer of love and the template on which all future festivals were based.

If I could have picked any 3 concerts in History to have seen, then it would be Woodstock, Altamont and Wembley Live Aid.

Rod Stewart once performed a free concert before 3,500,000 at Copacabana Beach!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:10 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I wonder what someone born say in 2000 would say?
I asked 2.
Got Adele and Stormzy.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I asked 2.
Got Adele and Stormzy.
I have heard of Adele. Who is Stormzy?

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have heard of Adele. Who is Stormzy?

That’s Stormzy, very successful British Rapper/grime singer. His songs include Vossi Bop, Blinded By Your Grace and Shut Up 😄
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post

That’s Stormzy, very successful British Rapper/grime singer. His songs include Vossi Bop, Blinded By Your Grace and Shut Up 😄
I am truthfully none the wiser. I thought grime related to dirty conditions and poor hygiene.

Rap? The only Rap songs I could name are ‘Rapture’ by Blondie and ‘Walk this way’ with Aerosmith and Run DMC.

Edited at 10:53 PM.
Old 7 Jul 21, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am truthfully none the wiser. I thought grime related to dirty conditions and poor hygiene.

Rap? The only Rap songs I could name are ‘Rapture’ by Blondie and ‘Walk this way’ with Aerosmith and Run DMC.
Now those are 2 very good songs 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List