Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 20, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by johnandmaz View Post
My lad is home after 2 weeks.

Paid £5k for the accommodation. All the lectures are online. He was half mile from the University but they've been instructed not to go in before half term when it will be reviewed. The accommodation's communal areas allow only 1 person in at a time. He's is a studio flat with it's own ensuite and small kitchen so barely any interaction at all with others.

He's a very sociable person with lots of friends so he's missing the interaction. So I've brought him home. Might as well be with his friends and family and do his course from here online as stuck in his room.

He was so looking forward to it. A real shame plus a load of money & debt for nothing.
That’s such a shame! No face to face tutorials or seminars at all? I thought the aim was to have some face to face interaction at least! What course is he doing?
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Dds first lectures yesterday. One pre recorded online - chock full of content, copious note taking required. One live online one around how to study, what is required of them assessment wise and "attendance" wise.

She was buzzing and rang me straight after, she loves the study aspect ( she is there with her partner so has her social aspect sorted out). Fingers crossed her face to face study sessions can go ahead, but if not yet, then she'll be fine online.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto's friends
Earning More Ears

How's everyone's children doing at university?
DS just phoned me to say one of his flatmates is displaying symptoms of covid. The person is struggling to book a test and is even unable to book a home test. I've gone on the website and it just says try again tomorrow 😬. DS had said about coming home for a few days as doesn't have any face to face teaching for 2 weeks but he won't be able to now.
pluto's friends is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pluto's friends View Post
How's everyone's children doing at university?
DS just phoned me to say one of his flatmates is displaying symptoms of covid. The person is struggling to book a test and is even unable to book a home test. I've gone on the website and it just says try again tomorrow 😬. DS had said about coming home for a few days as doesn't have any face to face teaching for 2 weeks but he won't be able to now.
Oh dear, where is he? Is the university able to help? I have read some uni’s are offering their own tests.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto's friends
Earning More Ears

He's at NTU. His uni doesn't do testing on site. Him and his flatmates have filled in the form to notify uni. He's in halls on campus. Good job he did his washing last week. Trouble is, he only took about 2 weeks worth of clothes with him.
pluto's friends is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pluto's friends View Post
He's at NTU. His uni doesn't do testing on site. Him and his flatmates have filled in the form to notify uni. He's in halls on campus. Good job he did his washing last week. Trouble is, he only took about 2 weeks worth of clothes with him.
I saw Nottingham on the lunch time news as a potential hot spot - what a shame but if he’s in quarantine himself he won’t need many clothes 🤭
Old 31 Oct 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If we have another lockdown, will you be happy to let your son/ daughter stay at University?

... the discussion in our house this morning
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
If we have another lockdown, will you be happy to let your son/ daughter stay at University?

Yes... but, my dd19 is in a flat with her partner rather than alone in a room in halls... so I would have no say whatsoever

not a case of letting her stay at uni, more a case of letting her know she is welcome here anytime, she is living life and "home" is where her heart is...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son is in halls at York. His course has gone online only. He gets to mix with the others in his flat (10 including him).

Unfortunately me, my youngest and my husband have all tested positive for covid so he can't come home in the event of another lockdown
jndt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post

I want my dd home, she can continue online. She doesn’t get on with her housemates, she doesn’t dislike them but not into drinking games and kitchen gatherings. She sees her other friends, has good mates from high school in different flats. If she can’t see them she will be in a right state, she keeps saying she wants to quit but she’s carrying on for now!
Kids are such a worry!