Yes! get a grip 120 47.06%
No! I'm being sensible 135 52.94%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jan 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
I only opened this thread to say that anyone who uses the word "hubs" is definitely daft.

I shall now read your post and vote as I see fit.
That's not nice
Old 28 Jan 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
An N95 face mask will block 95% of the possibility of catching something but I wouldn’t want to try and wear one for an extended period of time. I use them at work for some jobs for up to an hour and even that is tough going. They get hot, damp and uncomfortable inside and due to their very nature make it more difficult to breath freely. Wearing one on an extended journey on an aeroplane wouldn’t be advisable especially for someone with asthma or respiratory issues.In the airport it would also have to be removed at security etc so lessening its effectiveness as well. I do hope she stays safe and enjoys herself. As you correctly say, it’s best to try not worry too much and overthink things.
Been looking to get one of those but rarer than hens teeth!
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I assume people didn't stockpile items back in 2003 (SARs pandemic), 2009 (H1N1 influenza pandemic), 2012 (MERS pandemic), etc? Or maybe they did?

There's a coronavirus pandemic every few years. This is the latest one, that's all.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

An N95 face mask will block 95% of the possibility of catching something but I wouldn’t want to try and wear one for an extended period of time. I use them at work for some jobs for up to an hour and even that is tough going. They get hot, damp and uncomfortable inside and due to their very nature make it more difficult to breath freely. Wearing one on an extended journey on an aeroplane wouldn’t be advisable especially for someone with asthma or respiratory issues.In the airport it would also have to be removed at security etc so lessening its effectiveness as well. I do hope she stays safe and enjoys herself. As you correctly say, it’s best to try not worry too much and overthink things.
I appreciate you thinking of our situation. I understand the masks are not the most comfortable thing to wear and I understand your experience of wearing them for short periods. (I can imagine I wouldn't want to wear one for long periods of time either!) I haven't worn them before, but I do know people who have worn them regularly for extended periods of time. Her doctor recommends it in this situation (yes, it would be several hours at one go). I'm sure she won't be happy, but I think she would be willing to wear it to reduce her risk. Are you sure the mask will have to be removed in security? I will ask friends who have worn them in airports for their advice. Thanks, again, for thinking of us.
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunshines View Post
I appreciate you thinking of our situation. I understand the masks are not the most comfortable thing to wear and I understand your experience of wearing them for short periods. (I can imagine I wouldn't want to wear one for long periods of time either!) I haven't worn them before, but I do know people who have worn them regularly for extended periods of time. Her doctor recommends it in this situation (yes, it would be several hours at one go). I'm sure she won't be happy, but I think she would be willing to wear it to reduce her risk. Are you sure the mask will have to be removed in security? I will ask friends who have worn them in airports for their advice. Thanks, again, for thinking of us.
I can’t say for sure if she would have to remove it but they cover a fair percentage of your face so I’d imagine so. Of course she’ll have to remove it to eat and drink as well so again you lose the protection there. Hope all goes well with the journey.
Might be worthwhile having a read of this.
newscientist/article...w-coronavirus/

Edited at 12:26 AM. Reason: Add info
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

I can’t say for sure if she would have to remove it but they cover a fair percentage of your face so I’d imagine so. Of course she’ll have to remove it to eat and drink as well so again you lose the protection there. Hope all goes well with the journey.
Might be worthwhile having a read of this.
newscientist/article...w-coronavirus/
I've read similar articles. Of course no mask is going to keep you 100% safe but it will at least help. And if one has a compromised immune system or some other health issue that could cause complications if one contracted the virus, it makes sense to take as many precautions as possible. I will tell her to eat and drink before putting the mask on and hopefully she can keep it on for the duration. I hope all goes well with the journey too. Dd is quite looking forward, despite the extra precautions.
Old 29 Jan 20, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you are being sensible as these are things that you will use anyway.

I work in a pharmacy and I can’t tell you the amount of people coming in wanting to buy masks yesterday. We don’t stock them so they all left disappointed
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I originally said yes (days ago) but given what’s happening now will change to No - infact I now think you are being entirely sensible (but it won’t let me change me vote lol)

Take care, precautions and be safe

Edited at 08:52 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Having lived at the back of beyond as a child I always have a store cupboard of extras and this included essential medication my big Christmas shop always included paracetamol lemsip a cough bottle gaviscon Brufen bongela strepsils etc I work on if I’ve got it I won’t need it in an emergency and it works for us
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Always go on the 6 P principle and chance favours the prepared mind.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List