UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 14 Aug 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
simbamad
Imagineer

simbamad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ideas for Cornwall

Well all being well we are going for a week away in Cornwall in October and wondering if anyone has got any ideas of what we can do, also any helpful tips would be appreciated. So far were thinking of Newquay Zoo and Seal Sanctuary.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 20 Aug 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

we are here now and it is very busy, finding somewhere to sit down to eat is really difficult but October should be easier as the eat out scheme will have finished.
we had a good morning at the Screech Owl sanctuary yesterday, its very small but there is a good variety of breeds and the Owl encounters and flight demonstration were really good and informative.
we also went to PAR market, near St Austell, they have various market type stalls and a good tool shop, but the best part was a lovely Sunday Lunch in the corner cafe. From there we went to Charleston to see the historic ships and arctifacts from the 1700's you can see and walk around these for free but if you have more time and are interested there is a full museum. There are also small craft shops.
Other options are Truro Cathedral and city, Padstow Harbour , st Ives and Healeys cider farm, just outside of Perranporth , but make sure you book as numbers are limited.
A good tip is to download the parking app when you park the first time, instructions are on the pay and display boards as although we were prepared with plenty of change a lot of the machines were broken so if you have the app it is quick to pay and go. if i find anything else i will let you know , hope you have a great time
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I posted this on a different thread a couple of days back. It may assist you!

I have lived there most of my life and travelled pretty much all of it during my Police career.. (admittedly largely to smash doors in). You will need to Google some of these.. These are the ‘real deals’ rather than the ‘ grockle exploitation zones’. That so many emits trip over and rave about.

St Ives.

Tate modern. (In town).

As you look to Sea, look away to the right and see Godrevy Lighthouse. Head that way for Geithian Towans Beach (4 miles of Golden Sand), Hells Mouth. You may see Dolphins, you will see Seals opposite the Lighthouse Island and in the inaccessible coves below you.

As you look West (but beyond your view), Wheal Geevor (A living mine), Botallack Engine Houses, Levant mine. All amazingly atmospheric. You may recognise them all from Poldark

Don’t bother with Lands end. (Tourist trap). If you do, avoid the humongous very expensive carpark for the naive and approach on the footpaths. They don’t like it, but they are rights of way.

Now on the South Coast. Porthcurno Beach and the Minack Theatre. This is where the first transatlantic cable was laid from and is one of the finest beaches I have ever seen. Theatre is open for a look around and really interesting with awesome views.

Penzance is an unpleasant, drug raddled dump (with not a single Pirate). It’s the end of the railway line and that says it all.

Prussia Cove. This is just how you would imagine a real, Cornish smuggler or fishing cove. It is also where HMS Warspite broke her tow and washed onto the rocks whilst en route to scrapping at the Gareloch.

On the Lizard..
Kynance Cove, a stunning walk. You may see Choughs. It is highly likely that you will see Peregrines.

Helston town museum.. A real surprise!

Falmouth. (Finest town in the world and I might even pop out to haunt you).
Custom house Quay area with really great food at Chain Locker and the Stable.
Pizza Express (no kidding), it has the finest views in Falmouth, rivalled only by the Coffee Shop in Trago Mills (Think Arkrights shop and ‘fork handles‘ on a grand scale).
Pendennis Castle, particularly if you have children.
The Truro Ferry (to Truro), great views and will take 2 hours from Prince of Wales Pier.
National Maritime Museum (small ships).
Harbour lights fish and chips, regularly voted one of the top 10 in the U.K. and streets ahead of Rick Steins overpriced offerings.

Truro. Shops (a few left) and a decent, if modern Cathedral.

Charlestown. Used a lot in filming Poldark. Tall ships and very atmospheric.

Eden Project.. A nice big Amazonian Rainforest plus plenty more .. and a very good Restaurant between the two biomes.

Newquay. Really don’t bother unless you want somebody to be sick on you or punch you. I had more fights, arrests and scuffles per hour patrolling Newquay on Bank Holiday than anywhere else in the County. Has decent(ish) beaches.

St Mawgan for the Cornwall Aviation Museum. Really good and ‘hands on’ if you like aircraft. (They have a very good selection of U.K. Cold War stuff).

Bodmin.. A real surprise and former home of the County Lunatic Asylum. (That’s what it was actually called).
Bodmin Gaol is a real ‘A list’ attraction if open, with a great history.
Bodmin steam railway is full size, very 1950s throughout and the train journey is really good.
Bodmin barracks has the DCLI museum including the medals of the last U.K. WW1 hero to pass (Harry Patch). Covers the Zulu wars onwards with great exhibits.
Bodmin town sq has the town museum, small but with lots of exhibits relating to the Lunatic Asylum.

Jamaica Inn? The main road used to run right past it when I was a kid. It was totally unlit and without markings. It used to appear out of the gloom as you approached and you felt that it hadn’t changed since the book was written...because it hadn’t. 4/5 of what you will see is new build over the past 20-30 years. When you go into the bar, only the first bit is original.. but still great.. The dining areas are all new. Not knocking it and the food is decent, but it is what it is.

Worth a mention if you like National trust.. Trebah, Trelissick, Heligan, Lanhydrock

Best evening meal in St Ives?
Ped n olver.

Falmouth?
Harbour lights
Pizza Express
Amanzi’s South African. The Skewer is to die for.

Best Pasty?
Every Cornishman will disagree on this and it is very subjective, but remember I said that I smashed doors all over Cornwall.. Well we invariably relaxed with a Pasty afterwards, so I have consumed a greater variety than most. Etheringtons butchers are for me the winners, very close to the Scorrier/ Redruth turnoff. You will need to put it in your Satnav and it’s about 3/4 mile from the turn off. The shop is also great for Cornish produce, Gins, Wines etc etc.

Cream tea?
Put the Cream on first. It really upsets the locals.

Hoping that helps. That should give you at least a months worth.

Also... Tintagel Castle is absolutely spectacular with a brand new suspension bridge linking the two parts. When you park in the village, it is also well worth seeking out the Toy museum/Shop. You will doubtless find several toys from your own childhood.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:53 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Wow! How good is that!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
simbamad
Imagineer

simbamad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you for a great reply, will take into consideration all your suggestions. We are staying at the Atlantic Hotel in Newquay, hopefully we wont get puked on.
Old 21 Aug 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Newquay town centre may be a little colourful but I would say it will be a whole quieter in October. Also, the beaches around there are lovely ! I wouldn’t go to them in the summer holidays, but fistral beach and watergate bay are beautiful when they are not too busy!
I also really like polkerris and the restaurant there called sams on the beach.
For a day out, I really rate Eden. And I second Bodmin gaol, although it can be difficult for anyone with mobility problems because you have to walk up and down the original stone steps!
I also agree with cornishfrogboys description of lands end! It’s pretty dreadful although the coast around there is lovely and can be nice just to drive round.
I also love kynance cove and the lizard.
And if you’re very well off, you could have a day trip to the Isles of Scilly 😄
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
This is great!
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I forgot to mention my number 1 of all.. because the above list was for a couple with a young child...

The Ponsanooth gunpowder factory aka Kennal Vale woods. Have a google. It is astonishing, worth about an hour as part of a day out... and absolutely free!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:13 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Mobile

On the subject of Bodmin, have you done the courtroom experience in Bodmin town hall cornishfrogboy? It’s pretty low key, and it’s not quite Disney animatronic league 😂 but I think it’s really good! And it’s really cheap too. And then there’s time for a barnecutts pasty on the main high street 😃
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

I think the Cornish way is jam first then cream
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List