Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 24 Sep 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Return to Cruising : 2 x COVID Tests

Reading today that it’s likely cruise ships departing from the USA will require two tests, the first between 5 days and 24 hours before departure and the second at the terminal.

Anyone any ideas how this could work for us coming over from the UK?

Worried about having to get a test in the USA along with others potentially having COVID... not sure how we could even obtain one?
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
Reading today that it’s likely cruise ships departing from the USA will require two tests, the first between 5 days and 24 hours before departure and the second at the terminal.

Anyone any ideas how this could work for us coming over from the UK?

Worried about having to get a test in the USA along with others potentially having COVID... not sure how we could even obtain one?
I clearly dont know a definate answer and am not a large boat cruiser but have got a small boat cruise 60 passengers booked for Alaska next autumn cancelled from next year.

I believe we will have to Covid test in Juneau prior to the cruise, thatmeans I am allowing several days in Juneau prior to the trip. I believe the cruise lines in our case UNCRUISE will have details on where to test. I have booked a small apartment to stay i for a week before the 12 night sail (all cancelable) I'm sure you cruise line will provide details on where and when to test.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I really think until we know we know more its hard to tell. I would assume they would want it to be specific testing centres used etc but who knows. There is a chance they would send the tests out for home testing even. Until one of the lines tries this then we wont know for sure. The med cruises that are running I believe didn't specify where you had the test just that you had one and then you were retested in the departure gate area.
Old 25 Sep 20, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
I really think until we know we know more its hard to tell. I would assume they would want it to be specific testing centres used etc but who knows. There is a chance they would send the tests out for home testing even. Until one of the lines tries this then we wont know for sure. The med cruises that are running I believe didn't specify where you had the test just that you had one and then you were retested in the departure gate area.
The small boat cruise company we use tried this with a sailing of 35 people and crew back in August sailing out of Juneau Alaska. The small boats are exempt from the big boat cruising rules.

They had everyone tested a few days before sailing and then retested just prior to leaving port. One passenger tested positive while on the boat so they returned to port and quarantined all the passengers in a hotel for 2 weeks.

This is going to be very difficult until there is a vacination.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
This is going to be very difficult until there is a vacination.
That about sums the situation up for me. It’s the other conditions that the CLIA has submitted to the CDC that would put me off cruising until there is a vaccination. Wearing a mask in all public areas on the ship along with having to go on cruise line ‘bubble’ excursions (no self exploration off the ship) also wearing a mask would completely kill the enjoyment.
I fear an effective vaccine is the only economic salvation for mass market cruise lines.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Don’t get me wrong at the end of the day this is being done to protect us all and I support all these things on that basis.

Just concerned how the first of the two tests would work but from what’s been said here hopefully it’s not too much of an issue.

I’m not keen on the masks either but if that’s what it takes I’ll put up with it. Ours is a Disney cruise out of Cape Canaveral next summer. We land 6 days before in Florida so we have the time. I still harbour some hopes things will be better by then!
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
Don’t get me wrong at the end of the day this is being done to protect us all and I support all these things on that basis.

Just concerned how the first of the two tests would work but from what’s been said here hopefully it’s not too much of an issue.

I’m not keen on the masks either but if that’s what it takes I’ll put up with it. Ours is a Disney cruise out of Cape Canaveral next summer. We land 6 days before in Florida so we have the time. I still harbour some hopes things will be better by then!
Hope you don’t think I was having a pop - I wasn’t. As you say, there may some logistical challenges for those flying in from abroad. We have had three cruises cancelled owing to Covid and have three more brooked in the latter part of 2021. We have an eye on a North Cape cruise for late June and hopeful that a vaccination programme will be well established by then to be able to go. Happy cruising - eventually!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Hope you don’t think I was having a pop - I wasn’t. As you say, there may some logistical challenges for those flying in from abroad. We have had three cruises cancelled owing to Covid and have three more brooked in the latter part of 2021. We have an eye on a North Cape cruise for late June and hopeful that a vaccination programme will be well established by then to be able to go. Happy cruising - eventually!
Oh I didn’t! Yes ours was supposed to be August this year (first time cruisers so very excited!). It is what it is, let’s hope it’s good for all of us in 2021!
Old 30 Sep 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I don't think the cruise lines care a jot about international customers. They only are interested in starting up again. I won't be going to the US pre vaccine anyway but I definitely will cruise in Europe as soon as I can already looking at May 2021.

Old 30 Sep 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jonathan
VIP Dibber

It's likely they would partner with someone to organise it. So if you look at Virgin here for flights to Barbados you have to have a negative test from one of two companies:

flywith.virginatlantic/g...9-testing.html

On our last Disney cruise it was around 90% Americans but that still meant 300 international passengers to deal with and of course they also cruise in Europe so I'm sure they will cover it.

If you have not booked it may make sense to take a cruise later in the holiday to help with this.

Jonathan

---
44 trips from 2000 onwards.
jonathan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List