Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Oct 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
scottlynn
VIP Dibber

Virgin Flights

I saw some virgin flights for end April 2021 but if I put in a fly drive its £400 dearer. I usually book flights that I can pay a deposit for , I wondered what the pitfalls were if I was to pay for these flights outright just now ie cancellation at a later date
thanks
Old 25 Oct 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry but I'm a little confused - doesn't take much at my age.

The £400 will be for the car hire but be very careful because the basic VH fly-drive probably won't include enough car insurance. Never booked a FD with VH but we have with BA and you can do it with just a deposit.

Had two flights cancelled on us this year and the airline is legally obliged to reimburse. Not sure what the VH T&Cs say about you cancelling though - I guess loss of deposit.

Mick
Old 25 Oct 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scottlynn View Post
I saw some virgin flights for end April 2021 but if I put in a fly drive its £400 dearer. I usually book flights that I can pay a deposit for , I wondered what the pitfalls were if I was to pay for these flights outright just now ie cancellation at a later date
thanks
I find the difference with VH fly drives vs VA flight only can be around £300 pp from Glasgow and that doesn’t include the car insurance. VA are doing a flexible booking policy up to the end of August so I’d be inclined to book flight only.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
scottlynn
VIP Dibber

Hi Lisa,

I did not know about the flexible booking policy, thank you I think you are right re just booking flights
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

I have found VH fly drives to be quite expensive in recent years - especially in comparison to the BA "Flight + Car pricing".

As Mick said, VH car insurance is pretty basic whereas the BA offering is much better and doesn't need much if any supplementing.
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
I have found VH fly drives to be quite expensive in recent years - especially in comparison to the BA "Flight + Car pricing".

As Mick said, VH car insurance is pretty basic whereas the BA offering is much better and doesn't need much if any supplementing.
I agree. The BA option to package a flight and car is much better than a fly drive. Unfortunately for us we are limited in who flys direct from Scotland.

Browsing the VA site it looks like they do the same now.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Browsing the VA site it looks like they do the same now.
You're right Lisa, they do. Booked one a couple of months ago with a £175pp deposit.
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List