Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

LA & Hawaii

Hi all

You may have seen my post on the general thread about the Seychelles... we were thinking of going there for our honeymoon in June 2021 then doing WDW later in the year, but the more we thought about it, the more we felt we couldn’t fully enjoy both as we’d have to adjust our finances between the two ‘big’ trips. We have instead decided to just do one three week(ish) trip to LA for Disneyland and then Hawaii. The itinerary is as follows:

5 nights in Disneyland
3/4 nights in Maui or another Hawaiian island
4/5 nights at Aulani
5 nights in Waikiki

As it’s our honeymoon we plan to splash out a little (well, more than we usually would!). In Disneyland, we had decided on the Disneyland Hotel, but then noticed we may be able to get the Grand Californian by renting DVC points for a similar price. Which would you choose and why? The decor of the DH rooms appeal to me more than the GC, but the GC DCA entrance is brilliant.

We are undecided if to do Maui or another island when we first get to Hawaii, before moving onto Oahu. My OH wants to do Maui as he’s heard the beaches and snorkelling are rated highly. We’d probably stay in the west somewhere between Kaanapali and Lahaina, but I can’t find a hotel that seems good value for money; most look a bit run down for the price. Would we be better getting an apartment on HomeAway? We looked at Wailea but everything looked more expensive but with less to explore. It’s also a bit of a concern that for only 3/4 nights it’s quite a way from the main airport (we’d be flying from LAX) - could we get a similar experience on either Big Island (Kona or Hilo?) or Kauai? In particular you seem to get a lot more for your money on Big Island?

I also just wondered what everyone’s favourite hotels in Waikiki are? We would like something quite modern with a nice pool, beachfront if possible. We thought the Alohilani looked nice but haven’t seen any dibbers mention it.

In terms of what we are looking for, we like modern accommodation where possible, with easy beach and snorkelling access. We also like to be able to walk to different restaurants (we like local ones but also love our USA favourites e.g. we’re excited for the Cheesecake Factory in Waikiki, so we’re quite easy to please!). We aren’t looking to do loads of tours so if we’re somewhere with a few attractions close by that would be useful.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Happy to help with Maui accommodation - I’m usually quite tight with accommodation (Alohilani is way outside of my price zone for instance) and have managed to stay a couple of times in Wailea for affordable money.

We have found generally on Hawaiian islands that condos are a lot cheaper and sometimes nicer than hotels.

In Wailea we stayed in Grand Champions in a one bed two bath unit for $180/night. Massive balcony and kitchen, living room, balcony overlooking beautiful green plants and a tennis court. Washer dryer which comes in very handy on a three week holiday! Lovely walk down the hill to the beach and the Wailea shopping centre. Short walk up the hill to Monkeypod (also one opposite Aulani), an ABC store and a few other restaurants. Highly recommend.

We also have stayed in Ekahi which was a similar price. The unit was a bit smaller but had a decent small kitchen (small by US standards), dining table, living area, huge balcony overlooking ocean in the distance, washer/dryer, separate bedroom etc. Stroll down the hill to the beach, much closer than Grand Champions. Flat walk to Wailea shopping area.

We also like Lahaina and Ka’anpali but haven’t stayed there. Wailea is closer to the airport and an easy drive.

I wonder if, with the jetlag and doing Maui first, you may want to squeeze a little extra time. It takes about half a day to get from one island to another with travel to and from the airport, car return, security etc so you definitely want to maximise your island time. Road to Hana is a full day and sunrise at Haleakala would take up a large chunk of a different day too.

Big Island I would want longer for than you probably have, it’s a lot bigger than the other islands (has seven microclimates and is a fascinating place).

Kaua’i I’ve not done so can’t comment.

I’d shave a night off Aulani and Waikiki to get an extra two on Maui but I’m a self confessed Maui addict!

We prefer VGC to the Disneyland hotel but nowadays tend to stay offsite and save cash as the prices are a lot less.

If I had lots of money I would stay at the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki
Old 26 May 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

PS I would do Disneyland on the way home so when you leave Hawaii for the long and depressing trip home you still have something amazing to look forward to and break up the trip
Old 26 May 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Thank you so much Karen

The Royal Hawaiian looks beautiful so I’ll track prices over the next few months...

I was starting to think the same about condos in Maui. I found one that looked really nice on the west coast so I might give that a bit more thought along with those you’ve mentioned.

We wouldn’t mind just getting a ‘taste’ of big island this time as I am sure we will be back at some point! But I know what you mean, I feel like we could probably feel like we’ve seen a lot more on Maui. I love swimming with sea turtles (we last bumped into one in Mauritius in February) so to be somewhere where they seem to be in the ocean so readily would be amazing. I’d also love to see some rays again.

We were planning LA this year before everything changed and definitely would have just stayed offsite - but now it’s going to be part of our honeymoon I feel we can treat ourselves to onsite I was thinking to start at Disneyland as it will get busier the later into June we get but I’ll definitely give it another think as before I considered crowds it was always on my plan to do it last for the same reasons as you said!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

We stayed at the Hawaiian Hilton in the rainbow tower, right on the beach. It was a great location, 10min walk along the beach into the town. Pool overlooking the beach, lovely. There are not many beach front hotels in Waikiki, but they are all lovely.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Willeve View Post
We stayed at the Hawaiian Hilton in the rainbow tower, right on the beach. It was a great location, 10min walk along the beach into the town. Pool overlooking the beach, lovely. There are not many beach front hotels in Waikiki, but they are all lovely.
Thank you, I have looked at there as the little lagoon in front of the hotel looks lovely 😊 It’s good to hear of someone who has stayed there. We’ve tried to plan the holiday so we’re in Waikiki on a Friday so we catch their firework show.
Old 27 May 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Following ☺️
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Thank you, I have looked at there as the little lagoon in front of the hotel looks lovely 😊 It’s good to hear of someone who has stayed there. We’ve tried to plan the holiday so we’re in Waikiki on a Friday so we catch their firework show.
The firework show is not that exciting so I wouldn’t plan around it personally. The sunsets are another story!

I haven’t stayed at the Hilton but it is very big, and had a convention feel to me. Quite a few children too which may be a positive or negative depending on your perspective. I’m a bit averse to Hiltons as I stay in them for work a lot so I avoid on holidays if I can!

Some other lovely hotels (we haven’t stayed at but have visited and eaten / drunk) and are a bit cheaper than the Royal Hawaiian are the Sheraton Moana Surfrider and the Outrigger. Again while I’ve not stayed I would totally recommend both from visiting, location right in the centre of Waikiki Beach. They are more like what I would have called a ‘traditional’ Hawaiian hotel.

Amy56 has stayed at the Outrigger and really rates it so hopefully she may see this and chip in
Old 27 May 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

[QUOTE=KarenG;14489424
Amy56 has stayed at the Outrigger and really rates it so hopefully she may see this and chip in [/QUOTE]

Haha! Was just coming on to say I definitely give my vote to the Outrigger on the beach! 😂

We’ve stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian village before, and whilst it was fine, it is absolutely massive and away from the main part of Waikiki. You could easily spend days at the resort and never leave it!

I much prefer to be inthe main part of Waikiki, near the beach walk. We feel the location of the outrigger is superb - right on the nice wide part of Waikiki beach, it has the Aloha beach rentals right next door (my boys took private surf lessons with them and next time we plan to hire an outrigger canoe), the Cheesecake Factory is right next door, and onsite is dukes buffet which always features in ‘where to eat’ threads, I agree it’s a beautiful location and serves a great buffet breakfast and evening meals overlooking the ocean - lovely.

We are meant to be there in August, but unlikely now, so hoping to get there next summer instead!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
The firework show is not that exciting so I wouldn’t plan around it personally. The sunsets are another story!

I haven’t stayed at the Hilton but it is very big, and had a convention feel to me. Quite a few children too which may be a positive or negative depending on your perspective. I’m a bit averse to Hiltons as I stay in them for work a lot so I avoid on holidays if I can!

Some other lovely hotels (we haven’t stayed at but have visited and eaten / drunk) and are a bit cheaper than the Royal Hawaiian are the Sheraton Moana Surfrider and the Outrigger. Again while I’ve not stayed I would totally recommend both from visiting, location right in the centre of Waikiki Beach. They are more like what I would have called a ‘traditional’ Hawaiian hotel.

Amy56 has stayed at the Outrigger and really rates it so hopefully she may see this and chip in
Thanks again I like the look of the Moana Surfrider, it’s particularly beautiful from the outside!