Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 May 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Well we are well over the €100k with 9 hols but I wouldn't change it for the world. Our hols have always been villa based so sometimes I do say if we had of bought one at the start we would prob have it mainly paid for! We have the most amazing memories. We did scrimp for many years to get there but there is nothing more satisfying than paying parts off and having that countdown!
Old 27 May 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

It's an expensive hobby, but I would pay it all again. Like I said, hard to imagine what I would have spent it on... Nothing will last as long as the memories and enjoyment we have had.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
2008 22 days in a town house in Regal palms Disney, Sea World, Universal and IOL , 2009 22 days Villa in Emerald Island, Disney and Universal/IOL
2010 23days Villa in Tuscan Hills and 4 days in St Petes, SW, AQ, Disney and Busch gardens
2014 2 weeks I Drive, MNSSHP and Universal and IOL.
2019, 22 days, a week in Miami and the Keys, 16 nights in a villa in Tuscan Hills (Tom109 fab villa) SW, AQ, BG, Kennedy, Discovery Cove, Airboat etc

Justified it by scouring for cheap deals, car hire tickets, groupon vouchers, kids eat free cards etc

But when you put it like that ... we are talking about 50K (inc Spending )
half our mortgage but I have always said it was money well spent. And the memories are priceless as well as the amazing photos

Worth every penny I would say. and i think we got good value for what we did.
Old 27 May 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
Well we are well over the €100k with 9 hols but I wouldn't change it for the world. Our hols have always been villa based so sometimes I do say if we had of bought one at the start we would prob have it mainly paid for! We have the most amazing memories. We did scrimp for many years to get there but there is nothing more satisfying than paying parts off and having that countdown!
We have had 56 trips to Florida so far (Sept. 2020 next one maybe ?), we did look at buying a villa in the early nineties, we certainly could have bought one, having rented villas 50 plus times. We don't worry what money we have spent, you cannot take it with you, would not even think of working out how much we have spent, we have never flown economy so flight prices have been a rather large amount of money I guess. You only live once, make it a good one !

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

At today's cost (£10.80) you could have smoked 20 cigarettes a day for 15 years.

Frightening to think some people do this. My Mum and Dad did, but it was more than 20 a day...
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
At today's cost (£10.80) you could have smoked 20 cigarettes a day for 15 years.

Frightening to think some people do this. My Mum and Dad did, but it was more than 20 a day...
Was just thinking, I prob drank £6k on beer and clubbing between 16 and 22!

Perhaps that's where I would have spent it then...and squandered the rest!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Potterer View Post
We have looked at it from the point of view of memories. Yes they can be free but sometimes they cost a lot too.

I have seen too many of my friends skint themselves to overpay their mortgage and not have any holidays abroad or have really cheap holidays for them to realise that when they do have the money to go the children are now adults or almost adults and would rather go on holiday with their friends/partners.

We have done something to the house each year inbetween Disney visits. This year will see the house finished, it has been gutted. Ds starts university next year so money will be going toward that.

I will say that the first 2014 trip to Disney was meant to be a once in a lifetime visit but tragically my friend died the year after very suddenly and we realised life is too short, we raided the savings and off we went again!

I believe this lockdown will make people look at what they spend without thinking on day to day items and how that money could be funnelled elsewhere.
One of the reasons that I was desperate to go last year was because of DS’s age -he’ll be 18yrs this year & possibly going to Uni next year. I just really wanted to take all my kids of the holiday if a lifetime at least once. The other reason was that I had a bit of a yolo moment after my sister was sadly given a terminal cancer prognosis last year at a relatively young age. She is still with us thankfully, obviously having to shield herself at the moment.
I’d also love to take my kids to DLP as well (we took our eldest 2 years ago before youngest 2 were born).
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I am a saver, I enjoy saving money, I like over paying on my mortgage and I’ve got all these plans to have my mortgage paid off early and to be retired by 55.

However, I will never stop myself booking a holiday, weekend away or trip away that I want (as long as I can afford it and the bills are paid first!) As for me experiences are so important and I’m not really a materialistic person, so other than the house, I wouldn’t know what else to spend that money on!

We’ve only had two trips to Florida so far and I think it’s cost 7.5k

I have a feeling it might add up over the years!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Not adding it up 😂

But we’ve had about 30 trips now to America mostly for 3 weeks each time it’s a significant amount

Wouldn’t change a thing though , it’s all been paid for ( as in we’ve not gone into debt for it ) been to some amazing places , Met some people’s who’s become good friends , and made loads of memories as a family .

Bring on the next 30 trips
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

I don't think about it.

DH and I work hard and Orlando for us and our family is an escape from reality.

With all the craziness going on in the world at the moment, life is too short to look back at things in hindsight.

Money can't be cherished like memories can.

Edited at 11:48 PM.
welshmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List