Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jun 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The concept art looks lovely. I can imagine it being a really pretty ride.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

I try to look at this pragmatically. Splash has long been in my top 5 favorite rides (great queue, nice ROI, catchy tune, unbeatable views, the drop, etc.)... but its really gotten tired over the years. Half the animatronics in the dark scene never seem to work. The characters look worn and everything just felt dingy the last time I was on Splash.

Will I miss it... absolutely. Thankful I've ridden it countless times with the kids. But, I am looking forward to what they come up with next.

Disney can take two routes here. A superficial Frozen-like overlay (yawn) or an actual re-invention of the experience (come on Disney... do it justice!).
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Totally made my day reading about the refurb of this very dated ride.

Can't wait to see the new Princess and the Frog theme I so love the songs in this film
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I always thought it was pretty weird theming anyway. Why build a ride around a film that was controversial upon its release the 40s, in 1989? Not many people have even seen it, including myself. I only know the songs from compilation tapes my parents bought for me for long car rides as a kid.

I’ll miss Splash in its current form, but totally up for this change
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AliceCooper9 View Post
Good news. Needs a refurb. The ride looks dated and based on an old racist 1946 movie that nobody under 50 has seen. Time to move on.

I suspect a live action remake Princess and the Frog movie will arrive around the same when it opens.

Looking forward to the refurbished ride. Something fresh, new and more relevant.
I’m under 50 and have seen it! Funnily enough I also remember the song video on TV when I was little where the cartoon birds land on his shoulder. He won an Oscar the actor for it.

As to it not being current, my very trendy 13 year old lad loves it - he says it’s his favourite ride and has never asked who Brear Rabbit is etc, he just takes the story for what it is.

Edited at 09:29 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Figment089
VIP Dibber

Sad about this, favourite ride and won't be back now to have one last go before it changes!

POFQ - Nov 2013
POFQ - May 2016
POR / RPR - Oct 2017
ASMu - Aug 2022
POFQ - Aug 2023
ASMu / AKV - Nov 2024
New DVC owner at AKV
Figment089 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadMummy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Absolutely thrilled to read this today.
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lau-nicole
Excited about Disney

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical reading this initially...I do love splash because of the nostalgia.

But agree the theming is problematic and I fully understand why Disney would want to disassociate themselves from it. It’s also fitting that they are replacing it with a film that celebrates black culture. 😊
Lau-nicole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mixed feelings. I thought the theming was cute, but I can see how it might have been hurtful to some.
Looking forward to riding the new Splash Mountain!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
Completely agree don't believe for a minute it was already in hand. This is one of the great Disney classics that should never be touched. Shameful kowtowing to political correctness. There are many things in this world that need to be addressed with regard to equality and diversity but changing this ride isn't one of them. Utter madness Disney, hang your heads in shame to those who sanctioned this.
Why don't you believe it? There have been rumours about a change for ages.