Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Oct 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

My first visit was in 1994 i was 9 and i went with my mum and dad and their two best friends and there 2 children. We flew i think with icelandic air? We had to stop off in iceland to refuel and their was no tv's on board it was very basic but i remember my dad saying it was very cheap! We all shared a villa but it didnt have its own pool only a communal one and i didnt even have my own room think i slept on a blow up bed in my parents closet (tbh it was the size of a small bedroom in the uk but just no window!). Again the villa was very cheap but to us it felt like luxury. We visited magic kingdom, epcot, seaworld and universal but all on day tickets- didnt even know they had a waterpark so think my parents must have kept it from me! We also did Kennedy space centre and the beach. I remeber going to old town and buying a 5 cent pepsi but you had to return the glass bottle! Also remember the old cars their.
We ate in dennys pondersosa a buffet which may have been the golden corral and we went to burger king for tea twice as they were doing 99 cent woppers! As you can probably guess my dad is a very shrewd man and did everything on a budget and a great exchange rate obviously helped that. Still we had an amazing time. The biggest thing i miss from that first visit was the way the characters just wondered around and you would literally bump into them 💕
natanddaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
captainuk
Trying for More Ears

1999 Was the magical first time

Our first trip was in 1999. It seemed like we would never be able to afford it but after saving hard it came together. Bought a package with Airtours and flew direct in to Sanford. Picked up a car at the airport and off we went to find our hotel on I Drive. I still remember the panic and sweat running down my back as i gingerly drove on the wrong side of the road with other half navigating with a map. We stayed at the very basic Quality Inn next to Mc Donalds. Ate in the hotel the first morning but then found Ponderosa accross the street and we were in hog heaven. The kids were 7 and 9 so you can imagine the looks on their faces when we took the ferry boat over to Magic Kingdom and entered the most magical place on earth, I felt 5 years old myself. It was a holiday of a lifetime and we still cherish the memories from our first time.

Planning our fifth visit at the moment (fingers crossed). Five grand children in tow this time so it will be magical again.
Old 5 Oct 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ShamuLvr
Very Serious Dibber

First trip was in 1997, flew from BHX on a Britannia 757 with a stop in Bangor to refuel. Stayed at the Inns of America on I Drive, did all the parks except for Busch Gardens.

Lots of great memories from that trip and having never been to the USA before, I was in awe of everything from the parks to the food!

Not so great memories include having blocked ears on the flight out and the pain on descent into Bangor and Orlando, I couldn't hear a thing for a week after until they popped one day and having the misfortune to see that awful birthday cake creation they put on the Castle. It certainly left a lasting impression and not in a good way
ShamuLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
beth21
Excited about Disney

1982 me hubby 9year old son and 6 year old daughter we flew with BA to Miami then to Tampa then bused to St Petes stayed 14 days at a Sheraton hotel hired a car on the 2nd day and drove to Orlando on day 6 stayed in a holiday inn on OBT went to magic kingdom for 2 days, sea world wet and wild, space Kennedy and Busch gardens
Absolutely loved it and spoiled for any other holiday

Edited at 08:05 PM.
beth21 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

1988 with my parents aunt uncle and cousin. stayed in a villa on Marco Island for 2 weeks with 3 days at a motel in Orlando. 1 day MK for my 11th birthday 1 day HS 1 day Epcot.
Went back 2 years later just to do orlando parks.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I think I’m the last one to go so far from reading the previous comments.

I went in 2017 with my other half, I was 21 and he was 23. I was just about to graduate from university and we were buying a house, but I’d worked a full time job and attended uni at the same time and he was working full time too so we decided to have a big trip before we became home owners.

I remember his mum being quite upset by it for a long time before we went, she constantly went on and on about the costs and about how we’d never be able to afford another holiday ever again, we bit our tongues, but it was annoying when we had nearly 18k saved between us and the holiday was 4k!
Every time we mentioned the holiday she would look at us with shame and say “well it’s the last holiday you’ll be able to afford now”... still winds me up! she only stopped when not long after the holiday we told her we were going to buy our first house and she said “well you need a deposit first.” To which I replied, “we have 16k between us, I don’t think that’s a problem!” She realised that day how hard we both work to save money and she hasn’t questioned our spending since!

We stayed at Disney’s Coronado springs for a week and then Rosen inn pointe for a week. We did Universal, Disney and all the Seaworld parks. It was incredible trip and we’ve been back to the USA twice since, once to Florida.

Hoping we will go again some time.

Edited at 10:03 AM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

I went in April 2013 for the first time with my (now ex) partner. I was 29 and had always wanted to go but never been in the position to. He had been before with his family a few times.
We stayed at PO-Riverside and did all the Disney parks with our 14 day tickets.
I loved every single second of it and cried when we left.

I have been back three times with my current partner and should have been there this year for Disney and a Keys road trip, but obviously that has been postponed for now.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Lovin these tales, scary to think its not really that long ago when we still had to land in Bangor or other places to refuel. notes of places visited that are no longer there, no IFE systems and the travel companies that dont exist anymore!

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

1988 for three weeks. I was 5 years old and remember snapshots. Spent the first night in Miami and went down to the Keys for a few days. Then made our way back up. I remember stopping in Fort Lauderdale and Melbourne before having a week in Orlando. Still remember now leaving Magic Kingdom for the last time on the boat. Fell in love with a purple dragon and my love for Epcot has never left. Then spent the last few days at St Pete's.

For me the special moment came last year when I was able to take my two boys there for their first time and at times I was emotionally overwhelmed due to the nostalgia and having those memories from my first visit. My youngest was exactly the same age as myself and even a year on we still have chats about his favourite moments and it's just brings me happiness in these current times.
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

My first (and oh so lucky) trip was February 2020! Been in the planning for about four years but finally convinced DH and we did it!
We flew Aer Lingus from Dublin, stayed four nights RPR and 10 nights at Floridays and we had a ball!
Not sure when we’ll be back again but I think DH may have caught the Florida bug 😉
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List