Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

So sad, for the employees, the suppliers, the customers and the high street.

As Freddie said ‘’Another one bites the dust’’

Disney332
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
So sad, for the employees, the suppliers, the customers and the high street.

As Freddie said ‘’Another one bites the dust’’

Disney332
Without in anyway trivialising a very sad matter...

Freddie has said some very wise, profound and thought provoking things over the years..

All we hear is radio ga ga.. radio goo goo.

Scaramouche scaramouche can you do the fandango.

Genius! Only Marc Bolan could possibly surpass him .

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

So sad to see Debenhams going I love shopping in there and all those employees

What is going to be left
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Latest news.. fire sale with 70% off starts in Debenhams tomorrow morning (no more specific details).

Shame our nearest Debenhams is 50 miles away at Plymouth.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:39 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

So sad... I actually think Debenhams is miles better than the totally destroyed House of Fraser. I've not been for years but that is mainly because it was on the other side of the town when in the office so didn't have time to go in lunch breaks etc. Such an iconic building too in Manchester. Sad times.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Never usually shopped in Debehams, but not shocked.
Especially when nobody supported it in the last months.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Oldrids was an institution when I was younger and used to drive there - I wonder if Downtown at Gonerby Moor will survive then ? Maybe Boundary Mills will keep it alive ... Bins in Lincoln was another favourite day trip for us
I think the Downtown at Gonerby Hill does quite well , seems very busy still

And they are something to do with the big new outlets that’s been built in Grantham .

Boston unfortunately is a dump it’s lost M&S and now Oldrids , nothing worth going there for
I took the granddaughter about a month ago and the town is nothing short of depressing and quite frankly scary in parts.
I won’t be going back
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
We as a nation are to be blame for all these institutions going to the wall. We are nearly all guilty of buying online to save a pound or two. You don’t miss things until they are gone.
As soon as all the competition has gone from the high street expect online prices to rise. You can already see this happening with certain products from manufacturers who refuse to discount items because the lack of competition. They sell on limited platforms and fix the prices.
Add this to lockdowns and people refusing to work in town centres and it’s a perfect storm for online retail.
Not me I love shopping in the shops,💕💕 I go to the High Street at least 3 times a week included in my daily walk, if I want a pair of jeans I really hate buying 4 pairs online, paying out 4 times the amount too just in case of the sizes & then receive them & they are all no good
You’re then disappointed no new clothes & you have to send them back.
In the shop (when fitting rooms open) I can try on as much as I want & go home happy with a purchase that fits

Debenhams unfortunately are a very large store with lots of concessions & now they have gone there’s nothing left 😬
Feel so so sorry for all those in all the shops at this worrying time & I hope it’s not selfish of me to say that I am glad for once that my son is a Manager at Primark 🤞🤞🤞
Long hours, rubbish shifts, rude customers & no staff discount but hopefully it’ll be around for many years 🤞🤞
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
margshel4753
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I love Debenhams. Have a Debenhams credit card. Most of my clothes are from there and always got a lot of Christmas presents there too. Used the cafe for meeting family for lunch. Hated when the metrocentre closed - now all of them. Such a shame for the staff.

Feb 2005 B/W Movieland(Monumental Movieland)
May 2006 Doubletree LBV(Orlando Vista] , Oct 2011 POR & Rosen Inn
May 2012 POR, April 2013 POR
, Oct 2014 POR, H/Inn C/Water, RPR, Rosen Inn, Yacht Club
margshel4753 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
I’m not blaming you I’m saying it’s because of everyone changing their shopping habits encouraged by online companies who have less overheads.
The more companies adopt online sales the quicker the push to close down their shops. They won’t need them anymore. I don’t want them to close. I want us to shop in them. it’s pointless us all saying isn’t it a shame that all the high street and shopping areas are closing and becoming rows upon rows of coffee shops ,charity shops and betting shops when we as a collective group are not shopping there anymore.
Habits are changing, it’s a bad thing in my eyes, but that’s what the consumer wants. Reality shopping which leads to more waste and thousands of diesel vans delivering goods which much of will be returned when it does not fit.
I am as guilty as anybody on this one.

In Cornwall, you need a car to do practically anything and Cornwall Council shamelessly gouges motorists at any and every opportunity, particularly on car parking.

I refuse point blank to pay for any parking in the county (and it would be wider if I knew the areas I visit better).. and will only go to Truro (our only worthwhile shopping outlet in the County) when necessary. I park in Tesco’s for its 2 hours parking if you spend a fiver.. and then buy a bottle of white on my way back to the car. In the event that the carpark is full, I drive home (10 miles). I am hardly going to be a happy shopper with app 1 hour and 40 from start to finish... if I get to shop at all.

In Truro lately we have already lost Debenhams, Vans, Animal, Treds, Thornton’s, Woolworths, BHS. I confidently predict that more will follow in the next few years if the Council do not scrap their parking charges.. then they will be even more skint as they will have no business rates. Our local shopping centre is to die a slow painful death at the hands of internet shopping (ably aided and abetted by Cornwall Council).

Edited at 07:05 PM.