Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Jul 12, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsMouse93
Apprentice Imagineer

See you in 188 days - Day 4

FULL TRIP INDEX HERE

Day 4 - Wednesday 4th July - Independence day

Independence day. No alarm was set for this morning as it was to be a lazy start to the day as tonight would be a late one as we were off to the baseball, Lakeland Tigers v Clearwater Threshers. David was up at 8am with Emily up 5 minutes later. I managed to sleep until 8.30am and Callum was last up at 9am.

We all had breakfast and then took the kids to Target and Walmart to spend some of their money. Callum had spotted Halo figures the other day and had made his mind up that he definitely wanted them. I had asked him to wait and think about it when he saw them the other day as for everything he was wanting, it would be $110!

I was let loose in the snack aisle and stocked up on some goodies!

Not however, these... (!)

Callum got his figures and Emily bought some colouring pens to colour in a picture she got from Hollywood Studios of Phineas and Ferb and she also bought the car from Toy Story that was reduced to $18. We had all thought it was a remote control car but when she opened it back at the villa, we discovered it was a pull back and go type. She was disappointed but as she hadn’t damaged the packaging I offered to try and take it back. She decided just to keep it though as she has been gradually collecting all of the Toy Story characters so this would add to her collection.

Home for lunch. Just as we got back, the rain came on. I think kids were quite pleased as they got to play with their toys without having to decide whether to play or go in the pool! I caught up with some washing and David was sorting through some of the photographs that had been taken so far and uploading them to the laptop.

We left to go to the baseball just after 3pm. It was a 5pm start and the gates were opening at 4pm. The tickets had been prepaid and we had to collect them from the ticket office. We arrived at 3.45pm and collected our tickets.

The gates opened shortly after and we headed in. David was straight to the hotdog and beer stand as this was the night that I would be driving home. 5 minutes after the gates opened, we saw the first rain of the holiday and it chucked it down! I had been reading on Facebook over the last couple of weeks, that a lot of the games had been cancelled because of the rain.

Just before the 5pm start, the rain stopped and they started preparing the field and announced that the game would start at 6pm.
Before first pitch, some kids were picked out, to throw first ball and announce ‘play ball’. A girl of around 6 or 7 sang national anthem and she was absolutely fantastic. It was very moving but I was very well behaved and didn't cry!

The baseball was good. I had wandered if the kids would find it boring but they seemed to enjoy it. Callum picked up the rules very quickly and was explaining them to me! I think he enjoyed it most out of us all. Emily was saying on and off that she didn't feel well but I think she was fretting about the fireworks at the end as she made a few comments about fireworks being dangerous throughout the day. She's such a worrier.

The Tigers lost but it was really good fun and a great was to spend Independence Day away from the busy parks. A band (well 2 guys) called Sofa King played at the end. I heard a teenage boy behind us explaining the twist of words to what I presume was his young brother. I was glad Callum didn't hear as he would just have loved this and I'm sure he would have mentioned it continually for the rest of the holiday!

The fireworks at the end were amazing. It was a 15 minute show. We hadn't expected them to be anywhere near as good. Even Emily seemed to enjoy it (from the safety of her fingers in her ears). I said to her as we were leaving, that it would have set her up nicely for the dessert party next week, to which she replied 'does that have fireworks?’. I explained that's what Wishes was to which she replied, 'oh'.

Oh dear.

A straightforward drive home and we were in for 10.20pm. The kids went straight be bed and we followed suit an hour later. Hoping to be up early tomorrow to make a trip to Universal, with the main aim to activate our voucher tickets and get a feel for the place before we go and stay on Monday night.
July 2014 - 3 weeks DIY
June 2015 - 2 weeks DIY. MAN-MIA... 2 nights Miami/12 nights Highgate Park
October 2015 - 8 nights DIY via Dublin...2 visits in 1 year
April 2016 - the kids permission to go it alone!
June 2016. 15 nights. Our last as a family?
October 2017. Miami & The Keys
MrsMouse93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 12, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
asdageek
Imagineer

ewww pigs feet yucky! great read, what a good day. i wonder if my lot might like to go see a baseball game when we are over.? we to will be there for the 4th july and i can't decide what to do that day/evening...can i ask how much a ticket was for the game?
Old 29 Jul 12, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsMouse93
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by asdageek View Post
ewww pigs feet yucky! great read, what a good day. i wonder if my lot might like to go see a baseball game when we are over.? we to will be there for the 4th july and i can't decide what to do that day/evening...can i ask how much a ticket was for the game?
It was $7 per ticket. $34.50 total with handling as I prebooked. Stadium looked full that night but I think that was because there were 4th July celebrations as I have the Tigers on Facebook and pics from regular nights don't show a full stadium.

It really was a good night out.
July 2014 - 3 weeks DIY
MrsMouse93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 12, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
asdageek
Imagineer

think i will ask my lot if they fancy it...dd not really into watching sports tho but she might since its american...sorry to keep asking questions but how far in advance did you book?
Old 29 Jul 12, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsMouse93
Apprentice Imagineer

think i will ask my lot if they fancy it...dd not really into watching sports tho but she might since its american...sorry to keep asking questions but how far in advance did you book?
Hey, that's ok! That's what I hoped for from my trip report, that even 1 part of it might help someone out.

We booked a month before and there was still loads of availability. We had some of the best seats, 2nd row, right behind the batter (if that's what you call them)!
July 2014 - 3 weeks DIY
Old 29 Jul 12, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Iloveflorida
Imagineer

Pigs feet in a jar, Yuck! Looks like you had a nice relaxing day though and a nice alternative to the theme parks.
Old 29 Jul 12, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
asdageek
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsMouse93 View Post
Hey, that's ok! That's what I hoped for from my trip report, that even 1 part of it might help someone out.

We booked a month before and there was still loads of availability. We had some of the best seats, 2nd row, right behind the batter (if that's what you call them)!
thanks for the info! will have a chat with others and see what they think really enjoying your trippie and i see you have a new countdown that is brilliant news!
Old 29 Jul 12, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsMouse93
Apprentice Imagineer

thanks for the info! will have a chat with others and see what they think really enjoying your trippie and i see you have a new countdown that is brilliant news!
You're welcome and thank you. VERY excited about the new countdown. Booked (the same) villa yesterday. Kids away for the weekend, telling them tonight when they come home
July 2014 - 3 weeks DIY
Old 29 Jul 12, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Another good read, thank you.
mousettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 12, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Brilliant, really enjoying it so far.

Thanks for sharing

Gill x