Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 May 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Is a solicitor necessary?

Sadly my grandma passed away last Friday. She was 92 and such an amazing lady.

My mum hasn't already informed their solicitor, but she is unsure of how much responsibility to hand over to the solicitor. She said if she'd asks the solicitor to be executor of the will then the costs will really ramp up. Is this something she could do herself? Is there a website that we could use in order to follow all procedure correctly ourselves?

Any experience you have had will be greatly appreciated
Old 6 May 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Lots of dibbers have done this, sorry i can't remember their names but think one was Mr T, they will be along shortly no doubt to help you out. Sorry for your loss xxx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post

I have administered an estate (parents) without the use of a solicitor and didn’t find it particularly complex. It was a fairly straightforward estate though one property, some savings and straightforward split between children. So I would say it depends on the complexity.

The will would name an executor?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Lots of dibbers have done this, sorry i can't remember their names but think one was Mr T, they will be along shortly no doubt to help you out. Sorry for your loss xxx
Thank you so much. We are, luckily, very inexperienced in this situation. We would have contacted Citizens Advice but I don’t think they are available during the current climate
Old 6 May 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. Me here!

Sad to say I have done Probate for at least 6 or more Relatives in the last 25 years. Goes with age I suppose.

I have never used a Solicitor as I see no need unless the will is complicated or a business is involved. Maybe I would if I anticipated grief off another Family member!

I did everything on line via the Govt website and even though my Sister and I were joint Executors for our Mum which was the last one I did she opted out of being an Executor which is also fine (Done in writing)

Any help you need shout out.

Finally sorry for your loss. What a great age though at 92. My Mum was 93 and sharp as a razor.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have administered an estate (parents) without the use of a solicitor and didn’t find it particularly complex. It was a fairly straightforward estate though one property, some savings and straightforward split between children. So I would say it depends on the complexity.

The will would name an executor?
Sounds like a similar scenario. My mum and her brother are already named owners of the bungalow (where my nan was living) as my man signed it over to them many years ago. A couple of banks accounts/bonds etc that are to be slip evenly between my mum and her brother.
Old 6 May 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Hi. Me here!

Sad to say I have done Probate for at least 6 or more Relatives in the last 25 years. Goes with age I suppose.

I have never used a Solicitor as I see no need unless the will is complicated or a business is involved. Maybe I would if I anticipated grief off another Family member!

I did everything on line via the Govt website and even though my Sister and I were joint Executors for our Mum which was the last one I did she opted out of being an Executor which is also fine (Done in writing)

Any help you need shout out.

Finally sorry for your loss. What a great age though at 92. My Mum was 93 and sharp as a razor.
Many thanks for your post.
Old 6 May 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It definitely depends on the estate. My DH is doing his mums. Her estate is complicated and he wishes he had engaged a solicitor but now that he has started the solicitor won’t get involved.

My advice read the will very carefully. The executors will be listed in the will. If one is a solicitor or firm of solicitors you need permission from them to proceed without them.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Sounds like a similar scenario. My mum and her brother are already named owners of the bungalow (where my nan was living) as my man signed it over to them many years ago. A couple of banks accounts/bonds etc that are to be slip evenly between my mum and her brother.
In that case I wouldn’t use a solicitor.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Interesting thread. I might be wrong, but if a solicitor is named as the executor of a will, I would be surpised if they gave permission for a family member to do it instead and lose the fee.

What is an average solicitor charge for a relatively straight forward will (I'm guessing a grand).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List