Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Sep 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We stayed at the H10 Lanzarote princess which was ok but we wished we had booked the rubicon palace when we saw that as that had been our original choice but we changed to the princess for its location.
We did love the hotel over the road though, the princess Yaiza suites and said If we went again we would like to stay there.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We were not keen at all on Sandos Papagayo when we stayed last year- was getting quite scruffy. Dirty sun beds, missing tiles, rust, ripped netting at courts, long term leaks in corridors etc. Needs serious money spending on it- we won’t be going back and others that were there were saying similar. Rooms were OK and food wasn’t bad.
One next door (Castillo it was called but think it changed name to Grand Tagoro) was much better when we stayed there.
We have stopped in many of them in PB ( including ones mentioned above) and Iberostar Lanzarote Park is the best AI by a country mile but you won’t get it for £1500. Think it was Tripadvisors’ fourth best AI in Europe this year.

Edited at 09:08 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
We were not keen at all on Sandos Papagayo when we stayed last year- was getting quite scruffy. Dirty sun beds, missing tiles, rust, ripped netting at courts, long term leaks in corridors etc. Needs serious money spending on it- we won’t be going back and others that were there were saying similar. Rooms were OK and food wasn’t bad.
One next door (Castillo it was called but think it changed name to Grand Tagoro) was much better when we stayed there.
We have stopped in many of them in PB ( including ones mentioned above) and Iberostar Lanzarote Park is the best AI by a country mile but you won’t get it for £1500. Think it was Tripadvisors’ fourth best AI in Europe this year.
I always think of you when looking at the Iberostar but it’s a bit pricey for me as we are at the stage where we would rather be able to have 2 or 3 holidays a year.

Am I right in thinking your break to the Sandos was a cheap and cheerful and you stayed at the back of the hotel in adjacent rooms? We did that years ago when our kids were 17 and 15 and it didn’t compare to our adults only holidays upgrading to Royal Elite which is what the OP is after with a budget of £1500 - not sure they could get the Iberostar with that but they may get the Gran Castillo 👍
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
That doesn’t sound good if the Sandos Papagayo looks a bit shabby. The Lanzarote Park does look lovely. If I paid an up front non refundable rate I could get it near budget but I’m not really happy at doing this just now even though I do usually. For pay on arrival it is around £2000, is this the price you would expect ? Considering I have got my flights more or less free I will consider upping the budget.

Will look at the Grand Tagora too. Haven’t come across this one while I have been looking.

Thank you.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Does it have to be AI? We stayed at the Aqua Suites in Playa Del Carmen a couple of years ago, it’s one of the best hotels I’ve ever been in but it’s HB, the food was exceptional, no buffets it was all cooked to order and the staff were outstanding, if it had been in Playa Blanca I think it would be very expensive, PDC wasn’t as nice a resort x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just found it all a bit scruffy. Here’s some photos I took in the complex. We were disappointed. Think it cost us about 3.5k in school hols. We had sea view rooms. Rooms were decent as had been upgraded.
Not terrible but you can see what I mean:

Stains on awning on restaurant (Windows were all filthy as well):

Corridor carpets stained up all over:

Cheap broken pictures on walls:

Permanent leaks never fixed (carpet soaked all week under this):

Fountain feature all smashed:

Corridors full of water:

Rooms like this visible in corridors:

General air of broken and scruffy, even paint just splashed all over floor:

Building site at top:

Just thought it needs a big refurb.
Sorry if others don’t agree this was our impression though and we think there’s a lot better.

Edited at 09:45 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Ooh YT! I think I have been looking and remembering through rose tinted glasses! Or sangria glasses lol. Those photos aren’t good!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Ooh YT! I think I have been looking and remembering through rose tinted glasses! Or sangria glasses lol. Those photos aren’t good!
My in laws went about 5 years ago and they recommended it but we thought they’d let it go. The new Chinese/ Mexican restaurant was nice.
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Does it have to be AI? We stayed at the Aqua Suites in Playa Del Carmen a couple of years ago, it’s one of the best hotels I’ve ever been in but it’s HB, the food was exceptional, no buffets it was all cooked to order and the staff were outstanding, if it had been in Playa Blanca I think it would be very expensive, PDC wasn’t as nice a resort x
We haven’t done an all inclusive in over 20 years and just fancy a change. No buffets would definitely be appealing but I don’t really like Puerto del Carmen. 30 years ago but we are a bit passed it now
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
That doesn’t sound good if the Sandos Papagayo looks a bit shabby. The Lanzarote Park does look lovely. If I paid an up front non refundable rate I could get it near budget but I’m not really happy at doing this just now even though I do usually. For pay on arrival it is around £2000, is this the price you would expect ? Considering I have got my flights more or less free I will consider upping the budget.

Will look at the Grand Tagora too. Haven’t come across this one while I have been looking.

Thank you.
If you can pay on arrival for £2k and afford it I’d go with it- amazing hotel. I’ve stayed in the top 3 Iberostar which Tripadvisor has voted best AI in Europe this year- The one in Feurteventura, the Iberostar Anthelia in Tenerife and Lanzarote Park. All are amazing and at 2k (is that all inclusive rate?) it’s well worth it in my view it’s wonderful. Normally for 4 it’s 6k a week in school hols with flights.
Grand Tagora was Dreams Castillo when we went. David Cameron stayed there just after us. It’s nice, better than Papagayo, but Iberostar a different class.
If we can’t get to Florida at Xmas and they reopen the canaries we have already planned to book it.

Edited at 10:07 PM.