Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Nov 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Your career, is it what you always wanted to be?

I posted on another thread that when I was growing up (from child to adulthood) I always wanted to be a vicar. I wanted to live in a vicarage next door to my church and spend my days in church helping others and doing services.
However a female vicar was unheard of in those days so it never happened.
It would’ve been wonderful.

What did you always want to be?
Is it your career now?
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I don’t have a career, but I wish I did.

Growing up I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and I don’t think it helped that I received no guidance either. Obviously I know a lot of people just know what they want to do and they don’t need help, but I feel like I needed a parent to sit down with me and go through potential careers, that never happened and because of that, I had no idea that some jobs existed until I went to uni and started applying for part time jobs.

I feel like I made a huge mistake choosing the degree subject that I chose and the only reason that I don’t regret it, is because I wouldn’t have met my partner.

Even now I’m not 100% what career I would like to do, being a dental nurse interests me, working in admin does too. I’ve always been one of these people that just has no clear job choice in mind.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Yes 100%. I always wanted to be a midwife but didn’t have the confidence until I reached late 20’s and a mum. It’s the best thing I have ever done, family aside! I always worked in care before that, first as a nursery nurse which I enjoyed and then care homes which I really really didn’t enjoy!
I think I am glad I waited as feel life experience benefited me massively. I can’t imagine working for 50 years and not doing something you enjoy. It is far from easy but always rewarding.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Yes! Can't remember ever wanting to be anything other than a nurse. I think I'd be lost in any other field of work. I love it and loathe it with equal measure, but simply can't imagine doing anything else. I've never really moved up the ladder so to speak, and still love being 'hands on' 💞
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Shutterbug
Excited about Disney

I wanted to be an archaeologist or librarian. I had a place to study archaeology at university, got cold feet, deferred a year and swapped to study information & library management closer to home (so saved as I travelled in) I was put off by thoughts of naff weather, mud and no job prospects. Not that librarianship was any better. Didn't end up doing either as a career and went into IT instead.
Shutterbug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
I don’t have a career, but I wish I did.

Growing up I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and I don’t think it helped that I received no guidance either. Obviously I know a lot of people just know what they want to do and they don’t need help, but I feel like I needed a parent to sit down with me and go through potential careers, that never happened and because of that, I had no idea that some jobs existed until I went to uni and started applying for part time jobs.

I feel like I made a huge mistake choosing the degree subject that I chose and the only reason that I don’t regret it, is because I wouldn’t have met my partner.

Even now I’m not 100% what career I would like to do, being a dental nurse interests me, working in admin does too. I’ve always been one of these people that just has no clear job choice in mind.
This sounds like me. I had zero parenting going on in my life and I was pretty much left to my own devices from 12 onwards. I was the sort of child who really needed someone to guide me.
Even now I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up...
and I’m 41 😆

I think poor DS has a rough ride as I perhaps over compensate

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I’ve never done a job I really loved/enjoyed as I get bored very quickly, but at least my main job paid well with a good pension and allowed me to retire early so you can’t have everything.

I’m not really sure what job I would have liked to have done, but I’m sure even if I was a commercial Pilot (a job lots of people would like to do) I would have got bored and fed up with the time zones.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

I always wanted to be a vet, but never tried as thought I wasn’t clever enough to do it
My nephew is now hoping for Uni next year to start his vet journey, woo hoo
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

There were a couple of things I wanted to be when I was young. I wanted to be in the RAF until I joined the cadets and lasted maybe 6 weeks as I discovered I don’t like taking orders or being told what to do.
I also wanted to be an air traffic controller, but I’m hopeless at maths.
I’ve ended up being a compliance auditor which I think suits me perfectly now.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I loved writing so wanted to be a journalist as a child but I knew that would never happen as I was incredibly shy so I then wanted to work with children but ended up in a bank ! At 49 I did a course and finally work with children and I do love it - worth the wait!