Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Nov 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Flight booking risk help

This is currently bothering me and I can't be the only one so hopefully this will help a few people.

I, like many people, are keen to book a flight not just because I can't wait to go back but I want to beat the rush when things do re-open. I know many on here are making bookings and I completely understand the package with deposit option but that's not my preference. I want to book a flight then pick and choose cars and hotels as I see fit.

So for flight only bookings (made on a credit card) can someone outline the risks please. I'm most bothered by FCO advice, refusal of entry at destination and the dreaded grey area of flight is not cancelled but either we're not allowed entry or have to quarantine. What is everyone's strategy for this?

Surely not everyone can be using BAs book with confidence. That only extends to 31st Aug and other airlines are more competitively priced IMO.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

I would (and have) only booked in one of three ways: Avios points, by booking an airport hotel for the night before travel and hence making it a deposit only package or yes using BA book with confidence. The flights I currently have booked are all before August 31. I have just been told my Paris flight is cancelled so I will ring up soon and get a refund.

I wouldn’t risk anything else because if the flight is going then there is no recourse no matter what FCO advice or quarantine rules. Some insurance may pay out in these circumstances, but I didn’t have anything suitable in place at the time I made my bookings.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

My thinking is if they will let us in, then the flight will operate. Everything else can be got around. There will be companies willing to insure you even if the FCO advise is not to travel. I don’t see the Americans messing about with quarantines. They will either let you in or not.

If they won’t let us in, then the flight will be cancelled and you’ll be entitled to a full refund. The only grey area could be if they announce they will let you in with a negative test at the departure airport or with a certificate of vaccination or some other document. Then the flight would probably run but the airline wouldn’t be able to force you to take it as those conditions would not have been in place for you to agree to when you booked it. I wouldn’t book a flight on the basis of a negative test on the day of departure because that’s a lottery.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

Just to clarify, I have booked a couple of the bargain Upper Class flights with Virgin for next April, but I’m booking nothing else for that trip until the end of January at the earliest when I can better judge how things are shaping up.

Unless the Americans are prepared to accept us unconditionally by April, I expect the flight to be cancelled.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

There was a discussion on another thread and insurance. There was a company, Suresafe? , who would cover for everything except booking travel against FCO advice and that preventing travel- which doesn't seem unreasonable, so I think if you are set on flight only booking you have to accept that risk, wait until FCO advice changes or rely on BA booking promise or similar.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by silver_age View Post
My thinking is if they will let us in, then the flight will operate. Everything else can be got around. There will be companies willing to insure you even if the FCO advise is not to travel. I don’t see the Americans messing about with quarantines. They will either let you in or not.

If they won’t let us in, then the flight will be cancelled and you’ll be entitled to a full refund. The only grey area could be if they announce they will let you in with a negative test at the departure airport or with a certificate of vaccination or some other document. Then the flight would probably run but the airline wouldn’t be able to force you to take it as those conditions would not have been in place for you to agree to when you booked it. I wouldn’t book a flight on the basis of a negative test on the day of departure because that’s a lottery.
just because the borders are closed does not mean that the flight will be cancelled.
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
just because the borders are closed does not mean that the flight will be cancelled.
This is my big fear.

I do like the suggestion of booking a single night and turning into a package. Clever! Will keep that in mind.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
^This.

Many flights will be cancelled but citizens / residents will be allowed in so it is possible the odd flight will go with all those wanting to travel consolidated onto the same flight.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
thealienwarrior
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
^This.

Many flights will be cancelled but citizens / residents will be allowed in so it is possible the odd flight will go with all those wanting to travel consolidated onto the same flight.
There is another post discussing just this. A Dibber was booked on a recent flight, however they were unable to go due to FCO rules etc, however flight still went.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1182718

Might be worth a quick read through as this may help you decide.
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I’ve just read through the thread and I think that flight sounds very much like an exception. I’m sure virtually all of Virgin’s direct flights to Florida are being cancelled on a rolling basis at the moment. I can see how if you got yourself involved in a Delta code-share flight with a change at JFK or Atlanta you may struggle because those flights would probably still run.