Old 23 May 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
I think it’s only natural to feel both ways excited and apprehensive as it’s all different to what you are used to.

We were saying today that it will be really hard to watch if people get away over the holidays but that it’s also good ours was cancelled as end of June is hardly any time away. So I totally get it.

With the announcement that Scottish schools won’t go back to August I think Joe is feeling that’s a long time to be stuck at home with us.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you that it goes the way you want!
Yes, I think you're right, either way it's going to be tough, if it gets cancelled and we have no choice or if we decide not to go. If only I knew what I want, then you'd know what to keep your fingers crossed for the trouble is what I want is unrealistic as I want to have everything be all fine and not be in the middle of all this anymore

Maybe Joe will get the chance to meet up with a friend in the park sometime between now and August as it really is a long time to wait. I know the advice is different for you guys, I'm assuming it will change sometime to allow this.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Haha, I had to look up what apparate meant! Yes, I quite fancy that idea! 😂

Kat
I was going with the Harry Potter analogy.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I was really hoping the decision would be taken out of my hands. The plane is a real worry and I'm also quite concerned that America is opening up to soon and will have a huge increase in the number of cases which would put us more at risk when we are there. We simply couldn't go if there was two weeks quarantine in place on return because school would be back, but I doubt our insurance would cover us if we chose not to go because of that. What will happen with swimming? Swimming outdoors is a big part of the holiday for the girls but has anyone actually assessed if sharing a pool with lots of strangers is safe? Sorry I'm sure my ramblings really haven't helped but these are all the things going around in my head today.
It's all topsy turvy at the moment and will be for some time.

Yes the 2 week quarantine is another problem to have to overcome. I just can't see the point of starting that in June, unless they are going to update the FCO advice? It seems pointless to have waited months to introduce it.

Max and Kate also love the pools. Did you see the Volcano Bay does seem to be included in the opening strategy for universal. I know chlorine is good, but they can't know that it would be safe as surely there can't have been any research into whether the virus can survive in pool water. I think it would be torture for the kids if we did go but they couldn't swim. It is something else to have to consider.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
The FCO is still saying essential travel only - so I think that means your insurance should pay out. There also isn’t any date in place for the ‘air corridors’ the government mentioned, so I wonder if the flights will even go ahead. I think Greece has already said they’re not letting Brits in!

We’re supposed to be having a big family holiday to Spain at the end of July but are definitely not going now. None of us can do the quarantine afterwards but I have to admit that my main reason is that I think it’s way too soon and scary.

I totally understand your conflicting feelings Abby - and all the uncertainty can’t be helping I’m sure.
A shame your family trip to Spain is cancelled. I'd really like the government to start treating us all like grown ups and offer some timelines, I know that they will be subject to change, but it would be really good if they could just say we think the FCO advice is going to stay in place until July or the 14 day quarantine will be until October or whenever, even if they add the caveat 'but the dates may change'. It's a pointless thing to ask for though as it won't happen.

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Oh Abby - I completely understand... I'm still confused over my own decision and keep wondering if by some miracle I'll be able to book a last minute flight and go in the Summer! The next minute I wonder if even Christmas is possible...! I wore a face mask in the pharmacy today and I'll admit that the thought of wearing that for hours doesn't appeal even though I have a very lovely Mickey Mouse reusable one Are you able to avoid decision making for a while... I spoke to WDW today. I have an AP which will have been used for 10 days this year so trying to see if they can help me with that... Current policy is extend or refund the amount of days closed but I'm asking whether they can consider international travel and the difficulties being able to get there even though we desperately want to! If I extend it would cover Christmas but realised it is a Gold pass with black out days! Aaargh! The good news is that they refunded me for the H2O Glow Night I had booked... Just Cirque Du Soleil left but they aren't responding at moment! Really hope you can go so we can all see a little of WDW through your TR this Summer and selfishly so that I can believe that the Christmas trip will happen!
I'm still subscribed to the sky scanner flight prices and an email popped into my inbox this morning offering flights for our dates this summer for £450 each, direct out, indirect return. So, some companies are still selling fligths. Maybe you would be able to snap up a bargain.

I don't think I have to make a decision at all yet. It's still 2 months to go. Technically the wdw balance is due in 8 days, but I've read in a couple of threads there is leeway at WDTC so I suppose I will have to look into it properly this week or pick up the phone which I've been dreading. I think they are allowing payment to be made upto 5 weeks before.

I'm still tempted to just wait and not do anything at all. It's not much of a strategy but i think it's all I've got at the moment. Partly because in a few days my own fears will likely pass too. What if in a month the number of new infections has halved? And then if a month after that it's halved again? If that were the case then maybe I'd be feeling happier about getting on the plane.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Oh Abby, I don't think you're mad at all. It's completely understandable. As much as I said I would still go, I'm not sure it would have been the experience we were expecting and wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

In some ways I think it's harder for you to have to make that decision, as I mentioned before, when it's take out your hands you kinda don't have a choice, but when you have to make it, it can be hard.

Are you on school break now? Have you got anything planned? Xx
Yes you're right, I think I'd prefer it if the decision was not mine to make and that we have no choice. As then there's someone to blame and get cross with...Which leaves me in this limbo of waiting and not knowing and hoping there are improvements across the country and the world.

Yes it's half term this week. I'm really hoping the government ease the restrictions on visiting family members. I'm fine with the idea of social distancing and staying in the garden. I'm lucky that my parents live in a detached house and they have a garden that's large enough. I really want to get KFC from the drive thru, take the kids and spend some time with them. So, not exactly big plans, but I'm really hoping we will be able to do it before I'm in school more after half term as it certainly seems like it would be less of a risk to them if we did it now rather than later.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Scotland sounds like a good plan we could do cocktails on your way up there!
Max might be able to wear his shorts as long as he has a hoodie...the weather has been really nice- long may it continue... I nearly rang Disney yesterday to try and cancel but I decided I wasn’t quite ready for the phone call.
We are watching The Middle with the girls and we got up to the Disney trip Sue won, I had to disappear out of the room as some pixie dust must have got in my eye I really don’t want to not go but I know it’s not happening, I wouldn’t want to be walking around in the heat with a mask and the thought of all my flights and the different airports just wouldn’t be good...still very doubtful that international travel would be allowed! I’m definitely in Disney depression mode
If we do cancel and if we do go to Scotland then I'll make some time to see the North East Coast and cocktails is a great idea. But I'll be sure to bring some gloves, scarf and hats for us soft southerners.

Dave got the email from universal welcoming annual placeholders back. It listed all the restrictions and safety measures and he didnt fancy any of that. His exact words were "I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to a theme park right know" so he is very much in the not wanting to go camp. He would have cancelled by now. I'm the one that's holding on.

One of the other things I keep wishing for is the antibody test to actually come out for everyone. We may have already had it and not know. I get there is no guarantee we couldn't catch it again, but I'd feel much better as I'd know we'd fought it off before.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 05:10 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I haven't actually looked at the opening strategy for Universal at all. I really must do that! I was quite shocked that they were planning to open so soon. It is quite difficult as it isn't just the number of cases in the UK that need taking into account it's the number of cases in the US and the number of cases in any other country that is allowed to visit the US! I'm sure chlorine would kill the virus but I think you're right that they probably don't know that for definite.

I think an antibody test would be interesting too. I had a really nasty cough back in January with a couple of days of a temperature but I had just assumed it was a usual winter bug as coronavirus was only a problem in China back then but I have been hearing some theories that it may have actually been in the UK long before they thought the first case was, so it would be interesting to see. My dad also had symptoms in early April so it would be good to know if he'd had it or not too.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
I haven't actually looked at the opening strategy for Universal at all. I really must do that! I was quite shocked that they were planning to open so soon. It is quite difficult as it isn't just the number of cases in the UK that need taking into account it's the number of cases in the US and the number of cases in any other country that is allowed to visit the US! I'm sure chlorine would kill the virus but I think you're right that they probably don't know that for definite.

I think an antibody test would be interesting too. I had a really nasty cough back in January with a couple of days of a temperature but I had just assumed it was a usual winter bug as coronavirus was only a problem in China back then but I have been hearing some theories that it may have actually been in the UK long before they thought the first case was, so it would be interesting to see. My dad also had symptoms in early April so it would be good to know if he'd had it or not too.
Jo I'm sure the last few days have left you wondering, and not knowing what to do, and second guessing yourself. Things seem to move so fast with announcements and I don't know how I feel or what I think at the moment, but one things for sure the announcements always take me by surprise and are never what I was hoping for or expecting.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
WDW opening announcement update

I don't know where to start or what to say. I'm not sure how I feel other than I can't stop crying. It's crazy it's just a holiday and I can rationalise that but the tears keep coming.

I haven't updated the threat as I just can't decide what I want or what I think. So, this is going to be a funny old post that's not double checked for typos and is just a no hold barred what I'm feeling now.

Yesterday was our 60 day fast pass day. Weird huh? I had done no prep, normally I would have planned the itinerary to the nth degree, but not this year. Yet, I woke up yesterday thinking that we may as well do it. I spoke to the kids and they said they would rather book the FP and plan to go and then it be cancelled than cancel and then find out the trip could have gone ahead. So Kate and me logged on at noon and sure enough FP opened up and we made some FP. It was the usual stressful situation of not quite getting what you want when you want, but we ended up getting the tiers at HS sorted and managed to get Mickey and Minnies railway, Falcons Run and Slinky dog on our 3 HS days so that felt like an achievement.

Then I got a what's app message saying that a friend had pulled the plug. Oh I was not ready for that she is braver than me.

Then I was sitting in the garden and thinking maybe this will all be ok...and the wdw announcement about parks reopening happened. I was expecting them to follow suit with universal. But they didn't. It was a shock. Reduced capacity, no parades, no characters, reduced park hours, face masks everywhere, an advanced booking system for park reservation. Well, I wasn't expecting that.

So, Dave and me had a chat and we worked out how much we had already spent on the holiday as we've already paid for the flights plus other bits, like the DVC rentals and I reckon it's about £3,500. Maybe a bit more, but I'm not counting the travel insurance, passport renewal and ESTAs. Anyway, it's beside the point all of those bookings were non refundable and non transferable. Made at the time in good faith, and we understood what we were doing, all were made with eyes wide open, we were just not expecting to have a pandemic.

The wdw balance of £6,500 is due 8 weeks out, so Sunday 31st May. Dave asked what I wanted. Now there's a question. What I want is for a miracle or better yet to go back in time and erase the last 6 months so that everything goes back to normal. We both agreed we shouldn't pay out any more money though.

So, this morning I phoned WDW. I didn't want to. But I did. And Eugene, the poor guy I spoke to, had to deal with me crying while I was on the phone. He explained the options as others have said, cancel and get the deposit back, transfer to next year (but lose the dining plan) or we could wait another 3 weeks as the payment deadline has been put back. I just couldn't face cancelling so I did nothing.

We're in the same status quo as before. We're waiting on the FCO or Trump to put a nail in the coffin. I'm not wanting to pay more money for a trip that I can't see happening, yet I know we're unlikely to get any refunds on the DIY bits were already paid for. And it's not even the money that is upsetting, we're lucky that we can both work from home and so we aren't desperate to have the money back.

I'm not ready to let go of the dream, but I know all I've done is delay the inevitable by another 3 weeks. I cannot see how it will work out any other way. This was supposed to be a lovely trip to help Max celebrate the end of his GCSEs and I'm just so sad that time is slipping through our fingers. We will maybe have 1 or 2 more years when he will come away with us, i cant tell you how sad I am at that thought.

Old 28 May 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
WDW opening announcement update

I don't know where to start or what to say. I'm not sure how I feel other than I can't stop crying. It's crazy it's just a holiday and I can rationalise that but the tears keep coming.

I haven't updated the threat as I just can't decide what I want or what I think. So, this is going to be a funny old post that's not double checked for typos and is just a no hold barred what I'm feeling now.

Yesterday was our 60 day fast pass day. Weird huh? I had done no prep, normally I would have planned the itinerary to the nth degree, but not this year. Yet, I woke up yesterday thinking that we may as well do it. I spoke to the kids and they said they would rather book the FP and plan to go and then it be cancelled than cancel and then find out the trip could have gone ahead. So Kate and me logged on at noon and sure enough FP opened up and we made some FP. It was the usual stressful situation of not quite getting what you want when you want, but we ended up getting the tiers at HS sorted and managed to get Mickey and Minnies railway, Falcons Run and Slinky dog on our 3 HS days so that felt like an achievement.

Then I got a what's app message saying that a friend had pulled the plug. Oh I was not ready for that she is braver than me.

Then I was sitting in the garden and thinking maybe this will all be ok...and the wdw announcement about parks reopening happened. I was expecting them to follow suit with universal. But they didn't. It was a shock. Reduced capacity, no parades, no characters, reduced park hours, face masks everywhere, an advanced booking system for park reservation. Well, I wasn't expecting that.

So, Dave and me had a chat and we worked out how much we had already spent on the holiday as we've already paid for the flights plus other bits, like the DVC rentals and I reckon it's about £3,500. Maybe a bit more, but I'm not counting the travel insurance, passport renewal and ESTAs. Anyway, it's beside the point all of those bookings were non refundable and non transferable. Made at the time in good faith, and we understood what we were doing, all were made with eyes wide open, we were just not expecting to have a pandemic.

The wdw balance of £6,500 is due 8 weeks out, so Sunday 31st May. Dave asked what I wanted. Now there's a question. What I want is for a miracle or better yet to go back in time and erase the last 6 months so that everything goes back to normal. We both agreed we shouldn't pay out any more money though.

So, this morning I phoned WDW. I didn't want to. But I did. And Eugene, the poor guy I spoke to, had to deal with me crying while I was on the phone. He explained the options as others have said, cancel and get the deposit back, transfer to next year (but lose the dining plan) or we could wait another 3 weeks as the payment deadline has been put back. I just couldn't face cancelling so I did nothing.

We're in the same status quo as before. We're waiting on the FCO or Trump to put a nail in the coffin. I'm not wanting to pay more money for a trip that I can't see happening, yet I know we're unlikely to get any refunds on the DIY bits were already paid for. And it's not even the money that is upsetting, we're lucky that we can both work from home and so we aren't desperate to have the money back.

I'm not ready to let go of the dream, but I know all I've done is delay the inevitable by another 3 weeks. I cannot see how it will work out any other way. This was supposed to be a lovely trip to help Max celebrate the end of his GCSEs and I'm just so sad that time is slipping through our fingers. We will maybe have 1 or 2 more years when he will come away with us, i cant tell you how sad I am at that thought.
I’m so sorry. So so sorry. 😢
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I wrote a post quite similar to this one on my trip report yesterday.

I feel exactly the same way as you about running out of time for family holidays. Robyn will be 18 in January. I had in my mind that this could possibly be our last big family abroad trip all together and now that it has been delayed until next year there is even more chance that it will be the last holiday together of any kind. I know some people who can't wait to get rid of their kids to holiday alone but for me we holiday to make memories with them and this just feels like a wasted year with not much opportunity left.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Oh Abby - you are my bit of hope in this horrible time. I have kept following hoping that against all the horrible odds you will get to go... and I will keep hoping that for you... You've done exactly what I would do - keep waiting till the last minute just so you know you tried and tried! You know how much I hated letting go and seeing the announcement yesterday I still kept thinking that just maybe we could have managed it and had an amazing time BUT then I thought of my son with ASD struggling with the heat at the best of times and how he would honestly cope with the masks as well... I'll never believe I did the right thing as we all want to be in WDW whatever the circumstances so keep holding on and I'll keep hoping that you are riding all those fab HS rides in Summer 2020! Take care and keep the dream going... We are rooting for you...
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I am so sorry. There doesn't seem to be any words. The announcement yesterday raised so many questions - how would a reservation system even work! But I hope that somehow there is still a way you get to go and get a holiday you are happy with. X
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Oh Abby I feel your pain. ☹️

I was pretty disappointed yesterday when they said they weren’t going to open until mid July. When I first heard, I thought he said 11th and 15th June which would’ve made sense, but July! 😩

I’ve been giving it all some thought and as you know having to wear face masks is a deal breaker, but once universal open I’m going to see how that works and that they drop it, as I honestly think it’s unworkable for too long. As it will cause more problems having them, than to not have them.

I think the park opening times are limited but it still looks like they are doing extra magic hours but just finishing earlier. I hope the water parks are open?

I’m sure most of the other restrictions would be “ok” even though they are very limited, although no parades or fireworks would be annoying even though we don’t really bother with them it’s nice to watch them from the likes of Narcoossee’s and CG. Plus there’s no point going to Tony’s if there’s no parade to watch. 😂

The one reserved park a day could be awkward too as we’ve got a lot of ADR’s booked around which park we are in, I mean, will we be even be able to go to restaurants we’ve actually booked?

There’s so many unknowns I just can’t really imagine enjoying it? 😭

I’m still going to leave it till after universal and sea world have opened as things might become a little clearer, and see if these restrictions are going to stick for any length of time.

Also, I’ve not even added my girls onto Our booking and if there not taking any new ticket sales, will we even be able to book them on? I think we would but I’m not 100% 😬

Amelia still really wants to go if we can, but I’m not about to hand over £7,500 if it’s not going to be the “magical” experience we are paying for.

In a way I just want the decision to be taken out of our hands and then we can focus on having a nice summer at home in our garden! 😁

Kat X
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

oh Abby I didn’t feel brave it was awful. Poor Wellington was so lovely with me. I was really tempted to wait until the deadline for the balance but as I already told you I couldn’t bear to ring up again and listen to the music while I was on hold-Its a Small World and Soarin had already tipped me while I waited
Disney were fantastic and the wait wasn’t long at all-I think 15 mins in total. We are all sad that we are not going to be there but have everything crossed that we will be back real soon.

I can’t face changing my countdown
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List