VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Another Birthday Trip, Oct 2019 - Day 12, Kennedy Space Center and Hard Rock Cafe

The previous day is HERE.

Monday 14 October 2019

We woke just before 7am and could already hear that Madison and Kaley were awake.

They were hungry so had some toast

We got ready to go out and for some reason, took far longer than we had wanted and didn't leave until just before 8.30am, later than we had wanted to go.

Me with my details, I made a note that the tolls on the way were $2.50, $1.25 and $1.50. It is a lovely drive

The girls were happy in the car, keeping an eye out as we got nearer to see if they could see anything.

This is the bag that Madison bought the day before.

Seeing KSC across the water

Even though I had the camera out the whole time, I only just managed to get the entrance sign as we arrived!

We pulled up to the parking toll at 9.55am and paid the $10 parking fee. We followed the staff directing parking and parked in lot 5

KSC security / police car

Giant countdown clock

NASA globe

The map of the visitor complex

Tall, rocket-type thing (can you tell that I don't know what this is! )

Bit of information about the launch pads

They had this beautiful fountain outside

Stopping for one last picture before going through the gates

The line here in comparison to the Disney parks

It was another beautiful day again, very hot and very bright out. I think Madison had misplaced her sunglasses so borrowed mine a few times today.

Walking round past the Rocket Garden

I think this next one was on our way to the bus tour, which is where we were going, though first stopping to use the toilet.

We grabbed a few pictures at NASA Central

Then went to join the line for the bus tour to the Apollo/Saturn V Center, where you also see the launch pads and Vehicle Assembly Building. The line was really long, the longest for anything we had done on this holiday, including immigration! It was a very slow process to load the buses, empty buses were going past and not stopping and there was long periods of time where there were no buses at all. In the end, it was just over 45 minutes before we were on a bus.

Though I wish we hadn't had to wait so long, the bus tour was really good. There was plenty to see as we were driving and a video was playing which was interesting to watch and listen to.

A few photos on the way

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23

Edited at 03:14 PM.
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

I'm usually good with making a note of the times but I didn't make a note of what time we left on the tour or how long it was. When we got there, we first had a walk around the 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing Garden

This was really well done and very pretty, a lovely tribute to mark 50 years since the moon landing.

From here we went into the Apollo / Saturn V exhibit

Posing with the Lego Astronaut and flag

I'm sure there's a reason why Snoopy is here but I don't know what that reason is

We had a wander in here, taking photos and having look in the shop

It was after 12.30pm and we were feeling hungry. With not getting an Earl of Sandwich the day before, we needed to get something for lunch. The Moon Rock Café was here so was an easy option

It was quite busy as there was a mid - teen aged school group here who were also getting their lunch. I went to get some food whilst Phil, Madison and Kaley found a table

There were quite a few options on the menu

I got us a kids Chicken Tenders and Fries meal, $5.49

Two kids Hot Dog and Fries meals, $5.49 each

And some Spicy Buffalo Chicken Tenders and Fries, $8.79

The kids meals came with drinks so we got Pepsi Max and Sprite

This was good, typical in park food but it filled us up and only cost $27.03 with tax, so not a bad price for four meals, even if three of them were kids meals. We were finished here around 1pm so carried on looking around the exhibit

The astrovan

Looking at the Apollo I memorial

We went outside

Looking out over the water

The seating area

We had finished with this part of KSC so went back to the bus area and walked straight onto a bus at 1.20pm. The journey back didn't take long and we got dropped off outside the Atlantis exhibit. We stopped for some pictures outside before we went in

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults

Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook

Dedication

We went up to the exhibit, where you watch the video before actually seeing the Atlantis, and this started within 5 minutes of us getting inside. We filmed this so don't have a photo at the actual reveal part, but it really is incredible. It is amazingly well done and the moment you see the Atlantis is quite emotional. It is so clever how they do it.

Pictures of the whole shuttle

And from a short distance away

We stopped and spoke to a staff member called Ben, who was extremely knowledgeable and had worked on Atlantis. He was very interesting to talk to and we spent quite a bit of time with him, asking him questions. He gave Madison and Kaley a coin each, with the Atlantis shield on it. Sorry, the only photo I have is very blurry

One of the areas you could go in

Some information about Atlantis

We continued looking around the exhibit, there is so much to see

A view from the other side

Rather large wheels

My notes say we went in the ISS, I'm not sure if that is what these next photos are

There was a bit of a drop slide you could go on in here so Phil and Kaley went on. They both enjoyed it.

We continued looking around. They had a memorial area in here, dedicated to those that have lost their lives during the space programme, so we had a look round here.

They also have a Shuttle Launch Experience ride-type thing here that Phil wanted to go on. He checked and the wait time said 15 minutes so he joined the line while we carried on looking round to wait for him.

Some information about the different shuttles that have been used in the space programme

The wait time on the ride was entirely incorrect, it was 35 minutes after joining the line that Phil came back. He did enjoy it but wouldn't have waited if he had known it would take that long.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 23 Feb 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook

We had looked around everything inside here now so went back outside

It was boiling hot and very bright, as you can see from Madison's picture. We went for a walk around the Rocket Garden

Sitting in the little pod thing you can go in

There was a children's play dome next to the Rocket Garden so we stopped while the girls played for a bit

More Rocket Garden photos

We made our way to the Astronaut Memorial. Looking at the map, I'm not sure why we did this in the order we did after leaving the Atlantis exhibit, as we came back on ourselves.

This is another lovely area, beautiful and peaceful.

We went into the Space Shop where Phil bought a souvenir guidebook and a bag, $10.55 inc. tax. We stopped at the toilets, and then for a last photo at the NASA sign

Before making our way out

We were in the car and driving out at 4.20pm. I wasn't fussed about coming here at all, it was Phil, Madison and Kaley that really wanted to come, but I was glad that we had. They have so many interesting things to see and the detail and information they have is brilliant. It was definitely worth the cost and drive out here.

The outside of the Atlantis exhibit as we drove past

Part of the lovely journey back

We took the same route home, so had the same tolls of $1.50, $1.25 and $2.50. We were going to Hard Rock Café at City Walk, where parking was free after 6pm. We knew we were going to be earlier than this so we went to the Walmart on Turkey Lake Road, getting there at 5.30pm.

Madison and Kaley bought themselves some rainbow flavoured Twizzlers, $2.23 each

And I got some Palmolive washing up liquid (I love this), a Tide pen, Lucky Charms, Bounce dryer sheets, sunscreen, ranch and honey mustard sauces, onion powder and ranch seasoning mix to bring home, along with some bread and flamin' hot Doritos for the house

This all cost $42.96 including the Twizzlers. We had quite easily spent around 30 minutes in here, so could now go to Universal, knowing that it was after 6pm. We drove there and were parking in ET 363 at 6.15pm. It was a long trek to City Walk, thankfully they have the moving walkways.

It was lovely being back here. It was so expensive to add on Universal tickets to the cost of the holiday so we had given it a miss this year. It had also been a long time since we were here at night, so were looking forward to seeing it all lit up when we were done with dinner.

Got to get the Universal sign

And the Universal Studios entrance

Looking back over to City Walk

And at Hard Rock Café

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 23 Feb 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook

We had made a reservation for 6.30pm and that was the time we arrived. We checked in and were taken straight upstairs to a table against the wall, out of the way. Perfect for Phil who doesn't like being too close to other tables in restaurants.

Checking out the menus

And for some reason, I have the cover of the main menu but not what is actually inside!

Phil has wanted to come back here for years as he loves the Buffalo Hot Wings. They are his favourite food at a restaurant in the US. There was no way he wasn't ordering these as a starter, $15.95

He loved these and was very happy to have had them again.

I had ordered an Onion Ring Tower for Madison, Kaley and I to share, $7.95

These were really good and were very quickly eaten.

Kaley had the kids Cheese Pizza and Fries, $8.95

She really liked this, pizza wasn't something that any of us had been having so it was nice for her to have something different for a change.

Madison had the kids Chicken Tenders and Fries meal, $8.95

She really liked this too. I may have pinched her honey mustard sauce.

Phil and I both had the same, the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger, steak burger, seasoned and seared with a signature spice blend, topped with house-made barbecue sauce, crispy shoestring onions, cheddar cheese, applewood bacon, leaf lettuce and vine-ripened tomato, $18.50 each

These were really tasty and we pretty much cleaned our plates.

We had told them we were celebrating Madison and Kaley's birthdays and our server brought them out a small birthday ice cream each

We were all quite full so didn't manage to eat them all. As we were celebrating birthdays, I had a voucher for buy one get one free on adult main courses. I had let our server know at the start so when he brought the ice creams over, he took the voucher over to sort out the bill. This took him a while as he had to wait for a manager to apply the discount.

With our couple of drinks at $3.99 each, and after the discount had been applied to the bill, the subtotal was $68.28, the tax $4.44, and the total $72.72. The tip at 18% was just under $16. We paid and went out, stopping again for a couple of photos

I had wanted to go to Voodoo Donuts but the line was really long, it was getting late and I didn't want to wait. We fast walked back to the car, but came across some annoying people on the moving walkways, who were stood across the whole thing so you couldn't get past them.

It was about 8.20pm when we got back to the car and it was just before 9pm when we got back. I've just realised what a long day out that was for us.

Madison and Kaley got ready for bed, said goodnight to everyone and were in bed at 9.15pm.

The rest of us sat up talking again, catching up on what everyone had been doing, and we went to bed around midnight.

My steps for today - 14,259
Phil's steps for today - 13,855

Next up, the Wedding Day is HERE!

Edited at 04:22 PM.