Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Oct 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d not do it as purely a means to get between the two places. Plenty of cheap flights between New York and Florida (New York has three airports and flying into another Florida airport may be cheaper than Orlando , don’t just look at the obvious JFK MCO)
Remember LCCs like JetBlue and SouthWest tend to go on sale about 4 months ahead not a year like the legacy carriers. Southwest include a checked bag for free too.
Remember a one way hire from NYC to Orlando will attract a one way surcharge likely to be around $200.

If you can spare four or five days to explore as you go it’s a nice and different kind of holiday but if it’s finding time for both NYC and Orlando then flying probably makes more sense.

Fare wise an open jaw into NYC and out from Florida with a seperate domestic ticket is usually cheaper than all three flights on one ticket.

Edited at 01:31 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by JulieB01 View Post
Hi

As the title suggests, is this even doable?
And how long would you reckon it would take, not constant driving 24hrs obviously.
There will be 2 drivers so we could share it
And any suggestions of stops along the way

Part of the planning for DD 18th next July, she wants to spend time in NY as well as our home
Julie
We did it 2018. We actually started off in Toronto. We drove down to Orlando, and ultimately back to Toronto to fly home.

Wasn't a rush job, as we did it over three weeks.

I did all the driving.

Was an experience taking in lots of cities, and sights.

That said on the return we drove from Orlando to Toronto in two days.

Not entirely easy, but we had an evening flight, so the two days was enough, but a lot of driving.

We did Toronto, Niagara, New York City, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, and Orlando.

We did Mexico, Memphis and Orlando this summer, but with the travel ban changes, we have return flights to New York next summer. Few days there, before we fly with Frontier to Orlando for five weeks.

All the best.
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bigsis3
Excited about Disney

We had planned to do a one way road trip this year for my special birthday. Starting in New York, driving to Washington then taking our time driving to Florida doing overnights along the way. The extra cost for one way car hire was ridiculous. Add to this the increased cost of car hire just now made it far too expensive.. now doing an internal flight from New York to Orlando. May consider doing it another time when car hire prices come down again.
bigsis3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I’d not do it as purely a means to get between the two places. Plenty of cheap flights between New York and Florida (New York has three airports and flying into another Florida airport may be cheaper than Orlando , don’t just look at the obvious JFK MCO)
Remember LCCs like JetBlue and SouthWest tend to go on sale about 4 months ahead not a year like the legacy carriers. Southwest include a checked bag for free too.
Remember a one way hire from NYC to Orlando will attract a one way surcharge likely to be around $200.

If you can spare four or five days to explore as you go it’s a nice and different kind of holiday but if it’s finding time for both NYC and Orlando then flying probably makes more sense.

Fare wise an open jaw into NYC and out from Florida with a seperate domestic ticket is usually cheaper than all three flights on one ticket.
We did a BA multi city with all 3 flights on and it was very cheap. Of course everything has changed re pricing. But the main reason we went bis NY was because even with the hotel we saved a fortune.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

We did it twice in the early 70's in a Vokswagen campervan with no air conditioning. We did the a actual drive in between 2 days and a week. It worked for us because it was my parents' van and we were camping in Florida. I wouldn't reccomend it in a hire car unless you are going to sightsee on the way. Internal flights are far easier if you just want to get from NY to FL.
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not NYC but I drove from Washington DC to Orlando on my own in 2006. I took a roundabout way through Williamsburg and then inland to the i81 and down through Asheville, NC on to Atlanta and down to Orlando. I absolutely loved it and it didn’t feel like a difficult drive at all.
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Julie
We’ve driven Orlando to Tennessee in one day 10 hours
I’d say at least 2 days but if driving that far I’d stop off in other places you might not ever go again
We were in NY for our oldest wedding the hotel was absolutely central for everything
And an amazing deli right across the street that did hot take out great after a long day tramping round NY
DS2 and DIL use=it all the time the roof top bar is amazing
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Julie
We’ve driven Orlando to Tennessee in one day 10 hours
I’d say at least 2 days but if driving that far I’d stop off in other places you might not ever go again
We were in NY for our oldest wedding the hotel was absolutely central for everything
And an amazing deli right across the street that did hot take out great after a long day tramping round NY
DS2 and DIL use=it all the time the roof top bar is amazing
Which hotel is this ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophie1405 View Post
I got a Amtrak train back in 2014 from NYC to Orlando it took 21 hours.
Hi Sophie, my sister did this a few times but not to Orlando, she disembarked at Seabring for her Matlacha stay. She really enjoyed it.
Old 12 Oct 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneySarah View Post
Not NYC but I drove from Washington DC to Orlando on my own in 2006. I took a roundabout way through Williamsburg and then inland to the i81 and down through Asheville, NC on to Atlanta and down to Orlando. I absolutely loved it and it didn’t feel like a difficult drive at all.
That's a lovely route.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List