Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Oct 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
You might be up in the air, but remember that repeated issues will likely see warnings given and that it can be addressed on departure...or by an air Marshall if your flight so happens to be carrying one as was the pre covid protocol.

It's one thing to not wear a mask at Tesco when the "law" here is a joke, it's another thing for US federal laws that can see you in a tricky situation for a future esta/visa
It was still a law, just like it is in the US, the difference is you are on a plane rather than in tesco. There’s been plenty of threads on this issue, and plenty of people that are flying within the US right now.

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
The airline doesn’t need to report you to any authorities in order to ban you from future flights (including your return, if it happened on the outbound) for non-compliance, if it so chooses.
Of course not, but I’m also not aware of that happening either. The only people that seem to be running into trouble are those that actively refuse to wear a mask, or cause a scene about not wearing one.
Originally Posted by Bal View Post
Get into an argument with crew. Get a sanction. Very expensive rebooking for your trip home. Also, your next ESTA application could be fun.

I wouldn’t get overly cocky. They have plenty of options aside from turning the plane around and fines.
Not saying to get in an argument with the crew, your ESTA application will be affected if your are arrested, which isn’t going to happen for a child not wearing a mask for part of the flight.

I am not saying anyone should not wear a mask or break the rules, I’m simply saying that if a child is in distress it doesn’t mean it is going to cause a problem, unless this happens before take off, as if the child isn’t wearing a mask on take off, then probably a good chance they aren’t going to wear it the rest of the flight, and it is much easier for the airline to simply ask you to leave at this point.

There is plenty of statistics available on how many people have been reported, and how many people have been fined, those numbers are extremely small.

I’ll say it again as we are going round in circles, unless you an adult, actively refusing to wear a mask, and/or causing a scene about it, then you will get likely get reported. Otherwise the general airline policy will be asking you to put the mask on/wear it properly, and if that doesn’t happen multiple times then you may run into some trouble. But for a kid that is clearly in distress that wears a mask for the majority of the flight, but has a wobble and is clearly distress for 30mins or so, I really don’t think there will be an issue.

I don’t have a kid, nor do I have a problem wearing a mask for 8+ hours (though I’d rather not given the choice).

Edited at 09:28 PM.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
It was still a law, just like it is in the US, the difference is you are on a plane rather than in tesco. There’s been plenty of threads on this issue, and plenty of people that are flying within the US right now.

Of course not, but I’m also not aware of that happening either. The only people that seem to be running into trouble are those that actively refuse to wear a mask, or cause a scene about not wearing one.

Not saying to get in an argument with the crew, your ESTA application will be affected if your are arrested, which isn’t going to happen for a child not wearing a mask for part of the flight.

I am not saying anyone should not wear a mask or break the rules, I’m simply saying that if a child is in distress it doesn’t mean it is going to cause a problem, unless this happens before take off, as if the child isn’t wearing a mask on take off, then probably a good chance they aren’t going to wear it the rest of the flight, and it is much easier for the airline to simply ask you to leave at this point.

There is plenty of statistics available on how many people have been reported, and how many people have been fined, those numbers are extremely small.

I’ll say it again as we are going round in circles, unless you an adult, actively refusing to wear a mask, and/or causing a scene about it, then you will get likely get reported. Otherwise the general airline policy will be asking you to put the mask on/wear it properly, and if that doesn’t happen multiple times then you may run into some trouble. But for a kid that is clearly in distress that wears a mask for the majority of the flight, but has a wobble and is clearly distress for 30mins or so, I really don’t think there will be an issue.

I don’t have a kid, nor do I have a problem wearing a mask for 8+ hours (though I’d rather not given the choice).
I wouldn’t disagree with a single word of that. I know those with kids probably have a little bit of a more reality based opinion, but as a post coming from a neutral I think it conveys a lot of sense.

Some of the posts on here (intended or unintended) come across conveying somewhat of a 1930s Germany authoritarian clampdown. It’s easy to forget we are talking about young children, toddlers in many cases here who won’t even be potty trained, have no social skills and expected to act like a fully grown adult.

If an element of common sense isn’t applied to that kind of situation then the lunatics are definitely running the asylum.
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
As I've said before, if a distressed child is forced to wear a mask and the only way to effect this is by restraining/holding down, the crew would be in a very difficult position of following the federal law and encouraging/bystanding what could be viewed as abuse. God knows what other passengers would make of such a situation. It would get interesting if a legal suit followed.
How is the mask issue any different from forcing young children to wear a seat belt for take off despite them having a tantrum? Do you consider that abuse as well?
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
How is the mask issue any different from forcing young children to wear a seat belt for take off despite them having a tantrum? Do you consider that abuse as well?
Can you really not see the difference between putting on a lap seat belt which you would barely know is there and muzzling a child’s nose and mouth?
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I just wonder reading down through this thread if those that are pushing back against others who are stating it is a legal requirement in the US are also people who have a general problem with any mask mandate - be it for a 2 year old or older?
Certainly the use of language like “muzzling” seems to indicate this.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
A seatbelt is to keep them safe so is a different matter. It's not optional depending on whether you're eating or not. It's also much less likely to cause a tantrum as a seatbelt is not worn over your face.

But yes, if you held down a child to make them do anything and ended up injuring them, it would be deemed child abuse, in the UK anyway. The only exceptions being if it was to stop them hurting themselves or others.
babbymint is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

A seatbelt is to keep them safe so is a different matter. It's not optional depending on whether you're eating or not. It's also much less likely to cause a tantrum as a seatbelt is not worn over your face.

But yes, if you held down a child to make them do anything and ended up injuring them, it would be deemed child abuse, in the UK anyway. The only exceptions being if it was to stop them hurting themselves or others.
You could argue that a mask is to protect them (and also others), you could maybe also argue the seatbelt can be removed for most of the flight.

However the difference is most children are use to being strapped into a seat (car seat, push chair, etc) so much less likely to have an issue with doing so, and like I said, doesn’t have to be worn for the whole flight time + airports
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

You could argue that a mask is to protect them (and also others), you could maybe also argue the seatbelt can be removed for most of the flight.
You could argue this if the pesky covid virus was clever enough to not be infectious when eating or drinking...
babbymint is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

You could argue this if the pesky covid virus was clever enough to not be infectious when eating or drinking...
and you could also argue that you need to be able to eat and drink to survive as well, some compromises have to be made.
Old 12 Oct 21, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

and you could also argue that you need to be able to eat and drink to survive as well, some compromises have to be made.
Exactly - showing how silly it all is.
Hopefully in January it will be sorted.