Notices

Old 27 Mar 20, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Imagineer

Mobile Will cis be covered in the self employed

On another thread a couple of people have said Cis workers wonít be covered in the self employed help which has me worried.

Hubby is self employed sole trader but sub contracts and through the scheme his contractor takes 20% tax which is paid to hmrc. He then does a usual self assessment each year.

Why would he not be entitled as he is self employed
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi My hubby is exactly the same, I absolutely assumed he would be covered in the scheme, can I ask why you would think otherwise? Got me a bit worried now!
Tesh11 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Imagineer

Mobile

Thereís another thread and I think from what I can gleam people think we may not be covered. Not sure why. Iím worried too as heís self employed has his tax returns and pays his tax so assumed he would be. Sorry to worry you
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I really canít see how they wouldnít be covered?! If anything they probably pay more tax than other self employed. My hubby has contacted his accountant, will update when we get a reply. Does yours have an accountant?
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Imagineer

Mobile

Exactly! Yes I messaged yesterday but who knows how long before a reply! Iíve also heard to get tax returns ASAP as CIs usually get a rebate and would be good to get money quicker
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hubby just said most of construction industry are CIS so would rule a lot of them out if that was the case. I wouldnít worry sure they are covered just wouldnít make sense for them not to be? I guess if they werenít that means they would be covered by PAYE instead then which would make less sense! Havenít seen other thread but maybe there wasnít a clear understanding what CIS was?!
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
jules_ni1
Very Serious Dibber

I think CIS workers are included- how could they not. Under the CIS guidance it says

Subcontractors include:

companies, corporate bodies or public bodies, as well as any self-employed individual running a business or partnership

My DH is a self employed plumber working as a CIS sub-contractor and is a self employed person trading as a sole trader doing an annual tax return. The govt said it was for all individuals who's majority of income was self employed and as the CIS contractor does not employ him he sub-contracts him so he should be eligible.
jules_ni1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I read that other thread too. I am sure it was just that some people didnít understand the CIS system thinking it was a form of PAYE. Husband does a mixture of both and the CIS income just goes in to his accounts the same as his private work.
I am planning to do his return straight away so at least I know what his 2019/20 bill will be. I am hoping to still pay his second payment on account in July if we can rather than just delay it. If you expect a refund I would Self Assess straight away after 5 April so at least you get a bit of cash in.

At least this is a step in the right direction and we are not both as worried as we were the other day !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post

I havenít read the self employed guidance. But intuitively I cannot see why CIS would be excluded, all it means is that the self employed person has prepaid some taxes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Reneejbeatte
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

CIS will he covered, they are still self employed and submit a tax return. My hubby is self employed and part of his earnings is cis scheme

2020 All Stars 🌟 🎵 Avanti Resort 2019, DLP 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2017, Art of Animation 2015, International Palms 2013, clarion LBV 2012, Regal Sun 2010, Newport Bay DLP 2009, All Star Movies 2008, Caribbean Beach 2006, Best Western Plaza 2005
Reneejbeatte is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List