Notices

View Poll Results: Cheesy marmite hot cross buns ?
Yes - love the idea of this 28 29.79%
No- sounds revolting! 52 55.32%
Not sure on this one. 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jan 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Hubby has to attend a Warfarin clinic fortnightly at our local hospital, and we have to pass an M&S food store on the way there and back. Ergo, I may have to pop in there tomorrow .……

I'll let you all know how I get on! (fingers crossed I can get past the trifle fridge in there without being tempted ….)
Trifle - yummy!
Old 28 Jan 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Love cheese and like hot cross buns but not cheese and marmite is complete no no in our household.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I love marmite, love marmite and cheese, but not in a hot cross bun. I will pass on this.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I love marmite, love marmite and cheese, but not in a hot cross bun. I will pass on this.
My impression is that it's a savoury bun, not sweet - in the same way you can get savoury pastry swirls that are, essentially, Chelsea buns, but not sweet.

I need to walk by my local M&S/BP later today, so will stop in and see if they have them.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Well, after the Warfarin clinic this morning we popped into M&S. They had LOADS of the new buns, and an offer on for 2 packs, so I bought 2 Cheese & Marmite, and also 2 Fruit, just in case I didn't like them. I'll let you know what we thought when we try them!

(P.S. I didn't manage to get past the trifle fridge successfully, predictably I sidled across there "just for a look", and spotted one of the luxury compote ones, that normally cost £5, was reduced due to a short shelf-life to £3.15. Now, I normally buy the ordinary one for £3, but do you think I could resist a luxury one, with deeper custard, at that price? Absolutely not. I have the backbone of an amoeba. And panicking gallstones …..)
Old 29 Jan 21, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Update - we just had one pack between us for lunch. Oh. My. Gawd. They are AMAZING. Very cheesy, strong Marmite flavour but not overpowering. They are light and fluffy, quite sticky, with a really savoury flavour. We loved them!

Tomorrow we are going to try them toasted …...
Old 29 Jan 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Update - we just had one pack between us for lunch. Oh. My. Gawd. They are AMAZING. Very cheesy, strong Marmite flavour but not overpowering. They are light and fluffy, quite sticky, with a really savoury flavour. We loved them!

Tomorrow we are going to try them toasted …...
Thanks for your real world review (and anyone else I have missed)
Old 29 Jan 21, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Mobile

I’ll report back in a while, but I can guarantee that toasting and West Country butter with sea salt crystals will feature!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Mobile

They. Are. Immense.

Part One
Part Two
Old 29 Jan 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

was hoping for a pic all hot and toasty with melting butter!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List