Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 12 Jun 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Their best ever prawn cocktail, posh hot dogs , hamburger relish and Mexican 4 layer dip 😍😍
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Still like the pies from the deli counter at Cheshire Oaks but only buy them when they are on the offer.
Same with their crisps.
Apart from a few other things M&S has gone really downhill compared to a few years ago.
Whereas Waitrose still seem consistently good.
I agree. M&S seem to focus on convenience meals in fancy wrapping, aside from that their prices are crazy for what is not all that good food anymore.
Fine if you want to pay over the odds for “bung it in the oven” type fodder but for value for money doing your weekly shop they’ve lost their way sadly.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

We have a Simply Food a few minutes walk from home.

Dead handy if the dog needs a walk. I can leave him outside while I pop in for a few minutes to grab my Gastropub lasagne - some of the staff know him by name and always want to give him a fuss. There's often a few there when I get back to him.

Gastropub Lasagne. Oh my...
shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
M&S food is defiantly superior to say Waitrose or Sainsbury

AS I have said before I worked in a pea processing paint (many years ago as a student ) and M&S we’re the only company to order the top grade peas and even thou processed in same factory they employed double the people on the pea belt. I worked in the lab and to grade AAA peas was rare - M&S had the lot no matter how many or few.

My friends family also own a bakery that makes Battenberg and she said the recipe for M&S is different from all the others (and she only buys food from thier food halls)
This is a funny story as I know someone whose husband worked in a pea plant and said the best always went to M&S as well. I remember her telling me this.
M&S food is definitely superior in many aspects, not all mind. Their ready meals are excellent. The curries are great and we like those healthy ones they do.
Old 13 Jun 21, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
I agree. M&S seem to focus on convenience meals in fancy wrapping, aside from that their prices are crazy for what is not all that good food anymore.
Fine if you want to pay over the odds for “bung it in the oven” type fodder but for value for money doing your weekly shop they’ve lost their way sadly.
I very rarely eat convenience foods so I don't even visit that part of the fridges but I still find plenty to buy and enjoy from there. I am not a supermarket snob and my closest supermarket is Tesco, but I can easily access Morrisons, Sainsburys, Waitrose and Asda, all of which I have visited in the last couple of weeks and I can tell good and bad stories about them all.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

I have always shopped weekly just for added bits (family of 6) during the pandemic was was drawn to M&S more because things like no burley bouncer on the door like our Sainsbury’s a pleasant member of staff just overall better feeling, kids love the fresh chicken burgers I love the meat pies I could go on.
Old 13 Jun 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We get some bits and bobs from M&S through Ocado every fortnight or so. Especially frozen stuff as even with a cool bag and freezer blocks, coming home from town on the bus takes a bit too long when it is as hot as this.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

We started shopping more at M&S over lockdown. Partly due to the fact that Ocado was the only delivery slot we could secure! It started off as Waitrose which was lovely as our nearest store is about 20 miles away. I was a bit miffed when it changed to M&S as I have one fairly local but I've enjoyed the change.
We ate lucky in that we don't need to watch the pennies as such do without going silly I can buy what I fancy!
It has got a bit dangerous recently though as dh has moved his business and the new one is next to an M&S food Hall. When I go up I just nip in for lunch and spend £30!
Also got a tk maxx next door!
I used to work in food manufacturing as well and can vouch for the fact M&S are very particular! You could tell when they were doing an audit anyway!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Kenbrook
Proud to wear my Ears

We started doing our weekly shop in M&S over lockdown, too. I felt safest going in there with the shopppers respecting social distancing far more than anywhere else it seemed.
I was a Waitrose shopper prior to that, as it was our nearest supermarket, but I disliked the way the store approached social distancing etc . M&S is still winning the day for me.
Kenbrook is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I enjoy M&S food but it is not the most convenient location for us so tends to be an occasional treat rather than a regular shop. I really like the big food halls, but the nearest one is even further away for us.

Way back when I was a student, I worked in a cake / dessert factory during summer holidays. And they definitely stopped the conveyor belt, changed the packaging and an Asda (or whatever) product would become an M&S one.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List