Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 23 Jun 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Isle of Wight

Looking at taking the kids to the Isle of Wight in October half term or next Easter. We have recently returned from st ives bay on the dibb recommendation and loved it, it really suited us. We like a holiday park that has a play area and a restaurant but not bothered at all about entertainment. Somewhere quite relaxing to use as a base as we will be out and about exploring.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites? I’ve looked at away resorts whitecliff bay, also aria resorts the rookery which is in the middle of the island. Then looked at lower Hyde and landguard in shanklin. Not sure if the last 2 would be out cup of tea tho. Anyone any recommendations?

Also days out…we have English heritage so believe we can go to osbourne house. Looking at blackgang chine, shanklin chine, needles, Robin hill country park. Any other days out recommendations? Especially if we go October? Anywhere with halloween trails etc, nothing scary tho!

Thanks!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hollyhobbit
Excited about Disney

Hi , We have just come back from a fab break on the Isle of Wight and would really recommend it for a holiday. It was just me and hubby this time but we used to go with our kids when they were young and they loved it.
We stayed in a cottage this time but we did walk through Nodes Point Holiday Park and that looked good, quite hilly but leads down to St Helens Duver and beach. When we went with the kids we camped in a tent. Appledurcombe Holiday Park was lovely and they have statics and cottages I believe.
This time we visited Osborne which was an excellent day out, Carrisbrooke Castle where we also went previously with our kids ( that time there was a “Horrible Histories” event on which was brilliant and they still do in the holidays) , Godshill Model Village and as the weather was fantastic lots of beach days . The beaches between Ryde and St.Helens/ Seaview are really good at low tide for walking and rock pooling if the weather isn’t good enough for a paddle.
If you like crazy golf there are good outdoor ones at Shanklin and an indoor one on Sandown pier which was ace ( again not been recently though).
My favourite visit was definitely Ventnor Botanic Gardens absolutely beautiful and did have a play area (although I don’t know how good ) and a very nice cafe.
Hope this helps a bit. It is at least 10 years since we have been with children but always had a great time and we really enjoyed going back

Edited at 02:42 PM.
Hollyhobbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The indoor mini-golf course in Shanklin was really good, really innovative holes.
The outdoor ones were decent too but in October you may need the inside one if the weather is iffy.
Amazon World zoo is nearby too, we enjoy it there and a lot of it is indoors

Edited at 02:06 PM.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Thank you both, some lovely ideas and we do like a bit of mini golf! Nice to have indoor alternatives too although we do go equipped for all weathers!

vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
gillyflower
I want to go now!

Visit the Donkey Sanctuary in Wroxall and do try the lovely cakes at Blueberries Cafe on the cliff between Sandown and Shanklin
gillyflower is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

L & R Dreaming had a brief stay on the Isle of Wight last December and featured it in their Vlogmas series. Their accommodation looked amazing - maybe worth a look on YouTube?
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

In addition to what's already been mentioned, we loved a wander round Quarr Abbey, they had piglets there when we went last October.

We did Osborne with EH membership too. Great day out. Lovely walk down to the sea through the grounds. Coffee shop down there too.

Steephill Cove was amazing. We did a Treasure Trail that took us all round there.

My boys loved climbing the 400 year old oak tree at goodleaf/

Garlic Farm was interesting, although the breakfast was over rated in my opinion!

Enjoy x
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

island-holiday-homes/Pro...aspx?id=573222

We stayed here. Beautiful, New caravan. But the site was very quiet. No restaurant that I remember and maybe a small play area? But my boys are older now so not on my radar. Good and central though. The company have loads of other accommodation available. They were very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.

Oh, and we booked the private lounge on the ferry over. Best tip of the holiday. Peaceful and relaxing start to the journey over.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Ferry fares are very expensive.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

We were looking at away resorts white cliff bay but all caravans with heating are now sold out. I’m not prepared to have somewhere without heating in October! The aria resorts look quite nice with a restaurant so will look at them. Away resorts had heavily discounted ferries if you book direct so that was appealing! Not sure about park dean and aria!