Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Oct 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Long weekend in November with 2 teens... where?

DH & I have some leave at the end of November - the kids have 2 training days so I am looking at potential mini breaks. We we're booked to go to NYC for Thanksgiving, but that's not happening now. Between DH & I we have covered pretty much all of European city breaks, but there are a few places that kids would like to visit.

I was looking at

Krakow
Rome
Reykjavik
Belfast (this would be to drive to Donegal to visit family)
Berlin

I also thought about a weekend break in somewhere like Tenerife, Lanzarote etc for some winter sun, but not sure on testing requirements. The kids will be nearly 16 and nearly 14 - they both love history, landscapes, old buildings, and equally they love doing nothing round the pool.

Has anyone taken their teens on a long weekend city break? Where did you go? We can do Thur-Sun or Weds evening to Sunday night, so 3/4 nights.

Any suggestions? We really want to give them some experiences now they're getting older and want to actually come with us!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I’m going to Reykjavik later this month. We all need to have a Pcr test before we go and fill in forms like the ones we will fill in to come home. Then day two test back in uk. We are doing 4 nights in an apartment booked through booking.com (gave us space and a kitchen to help keep food costs down and is cancellable till a few days before). Booked flights with jet2 after recent announcement on testing changes as was over half ba cost. Going to do northern lights, golden circle, whale watching, sky lagoon which allows over twelves in, and a lava flow tour which enables you to see the current eruption. It’s for my 50th so splashing out a bit for a short trip.

Edited at 11:59 AM.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Out of those and the time of year, it would be Rome for me.
Easy links to the airport, no need to drive or even use the subway and quite literally dozens of sites that they will both be able to recognise and relate to..
Colliseum
Forum
Circus Maximus
Vatican
Trevi Fountain
Pantheon
Etc etc etc.

Add in the Pizza, Gelato (and wine for you) and it is a pretty much unbeatable combination if you have never been.

Within that, you can take a day trip to Pompeii on the Freciarossa train (1hr 12 to Naples at 190mph and then a rickety 20 minute train ride from the back of the station to the gates of Pompeii).

Berlin will be cold
Iceland cold and horrendously pricey.

Edited at 12:21 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
PrimroseRosie
Earning More Ears

We loved Berlin, our boys were 11 and 16 at the time (2019). Plenty to see. Weather wasn't great (October half term), but we really enjoyed it.
PrimroseRosie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

I have been to Krakow, Reykjavik & Belfast and would recommend all of them but with 2 kids I would go for Belfast it's an amazing little city
Old 9 Oct 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Out of those and the time of year, it would be Rome for me.
Easy links to the airport, no need to drive or even use the subway and quite literally dozens of sites that they will both be able to recognise and relate to..
Colliseum
Forum
Circus Maximus
Vatican
Trevi Fountain
Pantheon
Etc etc etc.

Add in the Pizza, Gelato (and wine for you) and it is a pretty much unbeatable combination if you have never been.

Within that, you can take a day trip to Pompeii on the Freciarossa train (1hr 12 to Naples at 190mph and then a rickety 20 minute train ride from the back of the station to the gates of Pompeii).

Berlin will be cold
Iceland cold and horrendously pricey.
I adore Rome, and my eldest would love to go, the whole testing process is putting my DH off though. Especially as it would only be for a few days... might have to settle for the new forest haha

NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by P&S View Post
I have been to Krakow, Reykjavik & Belfast and would recommend all of them but with 2 kids I would go for Belfast it's an amazing little city
I would like to do Belfast, my mums from the South and i've only ever flown into there to drive across to Donegal when Ryanair stopped flying into Derry. Wouldn't know where to stay though especially as family aren't that far away!

Old 9 Oct 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by PrimroseRosie View Post
We loved Berlin, our boys were 11 and 16 at the time (2019). Plenty to see. Weather wasn't great (October half term), but we really enjoyed it.
I loved Berlin too, been a while since we've been, I think that was June time and the weather wasn't great then either!

Old 9 Oct 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by DFussy View Post
I’m going to Reykjavik later this month. We all need to have a Pcr test before we go and fill in forms like the ones we will fill in to come home. Then day two test back in uk. We are doing 4 nights in an apartment booked through booking.com (gave us space and a kitchen to help keep food costs down and is cancellable till a few days before). Booked flights with jet2 after recent announcement on testing changes as was over half ba cost. Going to do northern lights, golden circle, whale watching, sky lagoon which allows over twelves in, and a lava flow tour which enables you to see the current eruption. It’s for my 50th so splashing out a bit for a short trip.
Oh wow! That sounds amazing! Hope you have a wonderful time!