Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Oct 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Poohsticks Bridge sells for more than £131k

From BBC ( …..a place we frequented often when the kids were young)

The original bridge which inspired A.A Milne's Winnie the Pooh stories has sold at auction for more than £131,000.

The bridge, which was rebuilt near Penshurst, Kent, was expected to fetch up to £60,000.

It was where Milne and his son Christopher Robin created the game Poohsticks.

Buyer Lord De La Warr, who owns Buckhurst Park in East Sussex, said: "It will take pride of place on the estate."
Previously called Posingford Bridge, the structure has been restored over the years and was reopened and renamed Poohsticks Bridge by Christopher Robin Milne in 1979.

It became worn and unsafe in the late 90s and was dismantled and replaced with a replica bridge, which is still in place in Ashdown Forest.

Disney332
Old 7 Oct 21, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
From BBC ( …..a place we frequented often when the kids were young)

The original bridge which inspired A.A Milne's Winnie the Pooh stories has sold at auction for more than £131,000.

The bridge, which was rebuilt near Penshurst, Kent, was expected to fetch up to £60,000.

It was where Milne and his son Christopher Robin created the game Poohsticks.

Buyer Lord De La Warr, who owns Buckhurst Park in East Sussex, said: "It will take pride of place on the estate."
Previously called Posingford Bridge, the structure has been restored over the years and was reopened and renamed Poohsticks Bridge by Christopher Robin Milne in 1979.

It became worn and unsafe in the late 90s and was dismantled and replaced with a replica bridge, which is still in place in Ashdown Forest.

Disney332
I think it's a lovely story... 😍
We spent many hours as kids playing Poohsticks off the bridge near our house, the river was our playground 😍
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

So someone has spent the value of a house on an unsafe bridge? World's gone mad.

Glad to hear there is a replica, I have fond memories of Ashdown Forest and when I heard about this on the radio I worried the bridge there had gone.

Surely all bridges over rivers that you can easily cross are Pooh bridges.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
So someone has spent the value of a house on an unsafe bridge? World's gone mad.

Glad to hear there is a replica, I have fond memories of Ashdown Forest and when I heard about this on the radio I worried the bridge there had gone.

Surely all bridges over rivers that you can easily cross are Pooh bridges.
Yes there are lots of bridges, but only 1 is the original that inspired a world famous game played by a silly old bear.

Disney332
Old 7 Oct 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Yes, that is definitely a lovely story.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Glad its staying where it belongs x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow, it’s a lot of money but I guess if you have it, and it’s your thing, then why not?
We’ve been to the replica in Ashdown Forest. I didn’t know it was a replica actually. I loved Winnie the Pooh as a child. 😍

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List