Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 8 Oct 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
Earning My Ears

Arriving on Thanksgiving - advice/information please!

Hi folks…

DW and I will be flying in to MCO on Thanksgiving Thursday. We’ve done this before (arrivals has always been virtually deserted - in 2019 we were through security/immigration in 20 minutes flat) but we’ve always been onsite in the past so could grab a QS meal that evening.

This time however we’re in a villa down at Four Corners and I wondered what food shops are likely to be open as at the very least we’ll want to pick up a few staples - bread, milk, butter, coffee, pecan pie and so forth. Will the ‘big boys’ (Walmart, Publix et.al.) be open or will we need to look for a 7-11? Does anyone have any experience of this? We’ll have a car, of course…
sakiki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Last time we were there in 2019 Wal-Mart opened late afternoon but we heard the queries were horrendous. Fortunately we were already there so had a meal lunchtime. Not sure about the other supermarkets though.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
Earning My Ears

Thanks for that. I suppose I was really wondering whether the move over here for shops to stay closed on Boxing Day has any equivalent in the US for Thanksgiving, especially given the insane behaviour we’ve seen on Black Friday…
sakiki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Most stores in the US are open on Thanksgiving until at least 6PM or so. There are exceptions of course. And this year things might be a little different, because everything else is.
But it’s not like the old days where everything was closed.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We arrived on Thanksgiving in 2019 and were staying in that general area (Bahama Bay). We didn't fancy tackling the Walmart queues but got everything we needed at a nearby CVS on US27.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
We arrived on Thanksgiving in 2019 and were staying in that general area (Bahama Bay). We didn't fancy tackling the Walmart queues but got everything we needed at a nearby CVS on US27.
Well, thank you for that tip. I doubt CVS would have occurred to me, to be honest!
Old 8 Oct 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Most stores in the US are open on Thanksgiving until at least 6PM or so. There are exceptions of course. And this year things might be a little different, because everything else is.
But it’s not like the old days where everything was closed.
So shopping has tended towards more opening over the years rather than less? That’s interesting. We might not make a 6.00pm close, depending on whether the flight is messed about, how long it takes to get through MCO, pick up the car etc (and to remember how to get out of the annoying airport road system )…
Old 8 Oct 21, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sakiki View Post
So shopping has tended towards more opening over the years rather than less? That’s interesting. We might not make a 6.00pm close, depending on whether the flight is messed about, how long it takes to get through MCO, pick up the car etc (and to remember how to get out of the annoying airport road system )…
Back in the day Thanksgiving was basically a day where nothing was open at all except gas stations and maybe 7-Eleven.

Lately it’s been trending toward things being open at least part of the day. And before the pandemic many stores were opening on Thanksgiving night to start Black Friday early!
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I expect Target and Publix will be closed. I would avoid Walmart especially around this area as it will be filled with last minute shoppers. For essentials definitely try CVS, Walgreens or even Wawa. 7-11's are usually pretty grim in comparison
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Back in the day Thanksgiving was basically a day where nothing was open at all except gas stations and maybe 7-Eleven.

Lately it’s been trending toward things being open at least part of the day. And before the pandemic many stores were opening on Thanksgiving night to start Black Friday early!
Sounds a bit like Christmas Day and Easter Sunday over here, then (shops with a floor area above 3000 sq ft can’t open by law on these two days).

Sounds like a 7-Eleven will be our best bet…