Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jun 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

There is a brilliant slimming world thread here on dibb under social groups.

I would say - identify your demons - is it chocolate, wine, crisps etc? Then start with small things like cutting down on the sugar, alcohol, etc. Ask yourself what you want more, that five minutes of food satisfaction or feeling fabulous when you start to see you are getting slimmer?
Meal plan everything, even snacks.
Give it a good three weeks to see results.
Stay positive about yourself, you can do this and it will benefit your health long term in so many ways!
Good luck x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

So far I’ve lost 6 1/2 stone, in just under 2 years.

I knew I was overweight but it wasn’t until a trip to the Dr’s revealed I had dangerously high blood pressure. My Doctor told me I was heading towards a stroke/heart attack.

I changed my lifestyle immediately. I downloaded MyfitnessPal and started logging all my food and drink. I also became a vegetarian.

Once I’d lost a bit of weight, and felt a bit more confident I downloaded Couch to 5K. I’ve now found a love of running. Although I still find it hard to believe that I can run.

Good luck on your weight loss/fitness journey.
Old 5 Jun 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rosiela View Post
I’m sure there must be threads about this so feel free to point me to some.

I just want to ask advice / need a a severe kick up the bum.

For those specifically who have lost a lot of weight. What did you do? Was it just an overnight thing of “right I’m losing weight” and no more excuses.

I need to lose weight (around 4.5 stone). There’s loads of reasons for doing this, improved health, mental health, having kids in the next year or two.

I go the gym / swim so it’s just sorting the diet. I don’t really know what’s best to have? As stupid as that sounds.

I have started on my fitness pal which seems really good.

Any words of wisdom or is it just a case of cracking on ! I find my motivation slips a lot, despite all the reasons for doing it.
I've lost a bit over two stone this year, now firmly in a healthy BMI range but would like to lost a few more pounds as buffer and to slim down a little bit more (aiming for a BMI of around 21).

For me I can pinpoint the moment I decided to get serious about losing weight to when I bought a WiFi scale, brought it home, stepped on it, and realised I was the heaviest I'd ever been (which also explained why my clothes were getting too tight).

How I've done it is by eating less and moving more, or calories in vs calories out. Cut down on my snacks and portions, tried to make healthier substitutions. I don't deprive myself of everything (and in fact had a lovely dessert today), but I'll try to compensate by either cutting down on other snacks or moving more. I also massively increased my exercise, by running more often and doing longer runs, and walking more, and have been covering at least 20,000 steps a day on average for the last few months. Pokemon Go is a great motivator for moving more too!

I've been browsing some weight loss subreddits on Reddit and posting in one of the weight loss threads here, which has helped a lot with keeping up motivation/discipline as so many other people are also trying to lose weight! And there are a couple of subreddits where people post photos of their lower calorie food, which is great for food inspiration.

Also as a note in terms of eating - it's also about portion sizes, not just eating more healthy food. For example nuts and avocados are pretty healthy but they are rather calorie dense! So I'll have nuts, but I'll also try to be aware of how calorie dense they are and not eat huge handfuls at one go.
Old 5 Jun 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

So much useful advice here, thanks guys x
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Remember - you can't out-train a bad diet!

If you are training lots then you definitely need to clean up your diet.

Chicken, white fish, salmon, greens and avocado.
Weigh everything and be prepared - get everything ready the night before so you only take your meals with you and you dont a)have to worry about what your going to eat b) you know what's in your food and c)you dont have to go hunting round Tesco at the last minute grabbing what you can.

Calculate what quantity of carbs/protein/fats you need and track EVERTTHING!

Remember - its a lifestyle change - not a quick fix.

x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

I started intermittent fasting 3 weeks ago. So I fast for 16 hours and eat in the 8 hour period. So far I’ve lost 2lbs. I only need to lose about 1/2 a stone so happy with it coming off slowly.
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

A couple of years ago i went on holiday with friends. I was overweight ( i still am) but i was in denial, no excuses i put the food in my mouth. I have suffered a lot of trauma and tend to eat
While on holiday i broke a sunbed, this could have happened to anyone but it didn’t it happened to me.
This was a massive wakeup call to me.
Since then i have lost weight the stayed the same then lost a bit more. I look at pictures to keep me motivated.
I am now almost 3 stone down on 2017 with 2.5 to go to target. I will put some on when i go away but hopefully it will come off pretty quick.
My top tips are my fitness pal and limit your carb intake.
And more importantly life is for living a night of what you fancy will not make much difference. We are going out on friday and i want to enjoy myself, 😊

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Remember - you can't out-train a bad diet!

If you are training lots then you definitely need to clean up your diet.

Chicken, white fish, salmon, greens and avocado.
Weigh everything and be prepared - get everything ready the night before so you only take your meals with you and you dont a)have to worry about what your going to eat b) you know what's in your food and c)you dont have to go hunting round Tesco at the last minute grabbing what you can.

Calculate what quantity of carbs/protein/fats you need and track EVERTTHING!

Remember - its a lifestyle change - not a quick fix.

x
Mostly this I don't agree with tracking carbs etc. it becomes a chore very quickly and doesn't add that much to weight loss. Try it by all means but you'll soon get bored of it.

Portion control really helps. We were eating too much rice and pasta with every meal. But we love our big portions so started eating loads more veg. We swapped 1/2 our rice for cauliflower rice and buy loads and loads of frozen veg for steaming.

Agree with prep though...

Lunch is our most difficult meal, it needs to be quick tasty and filling. Hard to do and the sandwich/baguette temptation is in every shop.

Fattening white bread, loads of butter and mayo, packet of crisps and fizzy drink for £3 or a bowl of watery soup for £4.50

Old 5 Jun 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Mostly this I don't agree with tracking carbs etc. it becomes a chore very quickly and doesn't add that much to weight loss. Try it by all means but you'll soon get bored of it.

Portion control really helps. We were eating too much rice and pasta with every meal. But we love our big portions so started eating loads more veg. We swapped 1/2 our rice for cauliflower rice and buy loads and loads of frozen veg for steaming.

Agree with prep though...

Lunch is our most difficult meal, it needs to be quick tasty and filling. Hard to do and the sandwich/baguette temptation is in every shop.

Fattening white bread, loads of butter and mayo, packet of crisps and fizzy drink for £3 or a bowl of watery soup for £4.50
i have been on a 22 week bikini competition prep! I weighed and measured everything!
I didnt cheat once in all those weeks - took my food everywhere with me - even out for dinner if I wasnt on a cheat meal.
Its a case of what you want now or what you want more!
It is a pain but I just did it while I was preparing my dinner for the evening - its a small price to pay to not to have to buy a meal deal etc.
You know exactly what's gone in your food too!

I lost 25lb in 22 weeks - and my diet wasnt really that bad to start with!

Sometimes the only way is to be strict and very careful!

It all depends what your goal is.

x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
i have been on a 22 week bikini competition prep! I weighed and measured everything!
I didnt cheat once in all those weeks - took my food everywhere with me - even out for dinner if I wasnt on a cheat meal.
Its a case of what you want now or what you want more!
It is a pain but I just did it while I was preparing my dinner for the evening - its a small price to pay to not to have to buy a meal deal etc.
You know exactly what's gone in your food too!

I lost 25lb in 22 weeks - and my diet wasnt really that bad to start with!

Sometimes the only way is to be strict and very careful!

It all depends what your goal is.

x
Good for you Katie! x