Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Sep 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
KitCat2019
Proud to wear my Ears

Would 2 days / 1 night at Universal be enough?

Currently debating squeezing in some time at Universal but not sure the cheapest way to do it. We're hoping to be there next August for 3 weeks.

It's been recommended that we stay on site to get the fast pass deals but we're thinking just one night as we have a villa booked.

But looking at the prices, it'll be about £1400 to stay one night and get the tickets for 4 of us!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
KitCat2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

If going late August, after American schools start, it is quieter and you may not need Express passes.
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would go for the Hotel and more... 1 night, but upgraded to Club Level.

We did this for the first time last year. You are effectively living in a Universal bubble as opposed to a traditional Disney one and paying Universal Prices. During our stay (£65 extra) , we used the Lounge from time of arrival until time of departure the following night. we must have taken in excess of 30 soda cans into the park, had two complimentary wine, beer and nibbles nights, a buffet breakfast and various other bits and pieces. Our room was marginally nicer and we were also on the top floor of RPR, with great views of the pool area. We got our money back.. and some, especially as on both days, we had nibbles and refreshments at the Lounge in lieu of Lunch, eating a full meal in the evening.

In addition, you can financially do even better. We did the following.
We caught a taxi to the Ramada on I Drive on arrival at MCO. This was $40 and the Ramada, £70 for 4 including complimentary breakfast.
Next morning we caught a very early taxi to RPR ($10) and checked in.
The following evening, we phoned rather than asked at reception (much cheaper at $10) for a Taxi to the nearby Holiday Inn where we picked up the Hire car and travelled to our villa.
For a total outlay of $60 taxi and £70 at the Ramada, we had saved the cost of 2 days car hire, 2 days universal parking, 2 days villa rental...and our breakfasts (Ramada & Club Level).

After that experience, we returned on 2 subsequent evenings to Universal... after 1800 when the parking becomes free. In this way we made better use of our investment in the tickets!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:47 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Last time we were there we decided not to spend and full days at Universal. We had several waterpark days when we spent the day at a waterpark then went for early dinner and then Universal for a few hours in the evening. Found the queues much less and the experience far more enjoyable than a whole day there. Free parking after 6pm so didn't cost us any more. Did a "section" of a park at a time rather than trail all over.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

At this stage no one knows what time the parks will close next August though.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

1 night in RPR hotel with express passes is the best way to go. You can get RPR for around £270 for next August. 2 Adult 2 Children

If you buy the tickets direct from Universalorlando.com
The cheapest price for tickets for 2 Adults and 2 Children is
One Park Per Day 2-Park - 2-Day Ticket next August is around £725

The only issue with these tickets you cannot go on the Hogwarts express or park hop. In theory under £1000 for hotel/ tickets /express passes.

I am not sure of the dates you are looking at so the prices will vary
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida virgin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
If going late August, after American schools start, it is quieter and you may not need Express passes.
I went late August 2 years ago, we didn't have Express Passes, we should have got them! First ride was over a 90 minute q!
Old 21 Sep 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida virgin
Imagineer

We have booked one night at RPR in August 2021 to qualify for the 2 days front of line passes
The tickets were expensive - can't quite get my head around buying tickets for 3 days so we can do IOA US and VB are more expensive than a 14 day ticket
Old 22 Sep 20, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I would go for the Hotel and more... 1 night, but upgraded to Club Level.

We did this for the first time last year. You are effectively living in a Universal bubble as opposed to a traditional Disney one and paying Universal Prices. During our stay (£65 extra) , we used the Lounge from time of arrival until time of departure the following night. we must have taken in excess of 30 soda cans into the park, had two complimentary wine, beer and nibbles nights, a buffet breakfast and various other bits and pieces. Our room was marginally nicer and we were also on the top floor of RPR, with great views of the pool area. We got our money back.. and some, especially as on both days, we had nibbles and refreshments at the Lounge in lieu of Lunch, eating a full meal in the evening.

In addition, you can financially do even better. We did the following.
We caught a taxi to the Ramada on I Drive on arrival at MCO. This was $40 and the Ramada, £70 for 4 including complimentary breakfast.
Next morning we caught a very early taxi to RPR ($10) and checked in.
The following evening, we phoned rather than asked at reception (much cheaper at $10) for a Taxi to the nearby Holiday Inn where we picked up the Hire car and travelled to our villa.
For a total outlay of $60 taxi and £70 at the Ramada, we had saved the cost of 2 days car hire, 2 days universal parking, 2 days villa rental...and our breakfasts (Ramada & Club Level).

After that experience, we returned on 2 subsequent evenings to Universal... after 1800 when the parking becomes free. In this way we made better use of our investment in the tickets!
I feel like I should take notes on this! What a fabulous plan 👌
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
I feel like I should take notes on this! What a fabulous plan 👌
It works for us. Still expensive, it in some ways a kind of cash back against the original outlay.

On evenings that we might return, we are always hopeful of the often regular late afternoon cloudburst. This markedly reduces numbers into that evening.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List